Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

clarance

Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights.

Post by clarance » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:59 pm

So has Frankie gone too far this time - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

I think the stand-up in the programme is funny as - the sketches were fuckin appalling though. Not in a 'ban this filth sense', but in a 'this is embarrassingly sh!t' sense.

Use of the 'P' word and the 'N' word as well, was that a comedy bridge too far? Was there a need for them? - I think yes - look at the context in which they were being used - but I can understand the argument against such words.

And it's all good publicity, no?

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

DPrinny

Re: Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights.

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:16 pm

No.

You know what your gonna get with his style of humour and they said before hand that if you are easily offended dont watch.
Some of the jokes where hit and miss, but the thing is some of them where funny

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:18 pm

Nah, he hasn't gone too far with the use of the racial slurs, you've only got to look at the context they were used in. Good bait for the 'Ban This Sick Filth' brigade who didn't bother tuning in though. Watched a couple of episodes, the constant rape/abortion jokes get old quick and he's pinched a fair bit of his shtick from Jam, Monkey Dust and Bill Hicks but at least he's borrowing from good source material.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:41 pm

DPrinny wrote:You know what your gonna get with his style of humour and they said before hand that if you are easily offended dont watch.
This.
As long as the appropriate prior warnings are given about the content (which they clearly were in this case), it's comedy and satire we're talking about after all and as such any subject at all should be fair game for the likes of Frankie Boyle to make jokes about and take the p*ss out of if it makes people laugh. The minute we start saying "you can't laugh at this, can't make jokes about that, this subject is off-limits" etc when it comes to comedy, I'd say there's then not a great deal of point in having it.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:06 pm

i find Frankie Boyle's stand up to be great, but agree that the majority of the sketches have been pretty terrible (apart from the loose women one and the george michael driving school which were hilarious).

I also find it quite amusing to see family members who previously found him funny now completely slagging him off, and pretending that they never found him funny at all due to the completely over the top daily mail outrage.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:09 am

DPrinny wrote:No.

You know what your gonna get with his style of humour and they said before hand that if you are easily offended dont watch.
Some of the jokes where hit and miss, but the thing is some of them where funny
Indeed. He's been doing offensive comedy of hate entire career so it's not exactly a shock to the system that he does it when he gets his own series! If you don't like that kind of thing then why watch it?

I've personally never liked Frankie Boyle. I don't find his being shocking for the sake of it routine all that funny, plenty of others do it & many of them do it better (see Tim Minchin's excellent "F-ck the Motherf-cking Pope" song). For that reason I didn't bother with Tramadol Nights so I'm not going to pretend I'm shocked & appalled at it.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:29 am

the_hawk wrote:I've personally never liked Frankie Boyle. I don't find his being shocking for the sake of it routine all that funny, plenty of others do it & many of them do it better (see Tim Minchin's excellent "F-ck the Motherf-cking Pope" song). For that reason I didn't bother with Tramadol Nights so I'm not going to pretend I'm shocked & appalled at it.
That's pretty much how I feel about him. I watch a lot of live comedy, and I don't mind edgy comedy in principle, (in fact sometimes it's quite refreshing to be a little bit shocked) but it has to be done for a reason. I've seen plenty of new comics come on to stage and start doing jokes about rape and paedophilia for example, and it just smacks of "trying too hard". Frankie Boyle isn't my cup of tea, but that's not because I'm shocked by him, I just find him samey, repetitive and lazy. He picks on easy targets and just swears about them with no real substance to his material.

I've seen comedians of many different races use the N and P words, quite often to great effect, highlighting the stupidity of racism, but you don't generally get as much of a kneejerk reaction at comedy clubs.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:29 am

Having watched all of the current episodes his jokes break down to
> Molested as kids
> Paedophilia
> Grilling the audance (includes calling them pedos)
They become quite tiresome after a bit.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:33 am

So true. All the stand up bits from the show was taken from his last tour, he should've made an effort. The sketches are beyond terrible.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

vp002

Post by vp002 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:41 am

dear all ,

i thought it was trying too hard to shock really and the stand up was from his 2008 tour so not really new , then again the recent comedic offerings from channel 4 havent been great as there simply not that funny , and the sketches were 90% poor !

i think stand ups should stick to stand up really !

vinny

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:43 am

I think that's the most formal reply I've ever seen :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:14 am

vp002 wrote:dear all ,

i thought it was trying too hard to shock really and the stand up was from his 2008 tour so not really new , then again the recent comedic offerings from channel 4 havent been great as there simply not that funny , and the sketches were 90% poor !

i think stand ups should stick to stand up really !

vinny
What about when there legs are sore?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:23 am

I've only seen him on the odd bit of Mock The Week so I can't really comment on his comedic talents as I've not seen much of it, I am enjoying reading his Rex Royd comic in Clint though, however I'm not entirely sure how much input he has towards it.
Splink!

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:26 am

Saw him when he toured in Birmingham and most of his material was recycled from Mock the Week and the show lasted less than a hour so it was pretty poor VFM. As for the TV show, the standup bits were OK but the sketches were patchy at best and you get the impression that he's getting desparate and causing controversy in order to try and get people to forget how poor the show is.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:13 am

Well as we all know doing something controversial on TV = Ratings
People that normally wont watch it will tune in to get offended and its all on Youtube as well. Just to make it easier to get offended