My daughter just cost me £100

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: My daughter just cost me £100

Post by sscott » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:16 pm

My 5yr old daughter is allowed on the iPAD when I'm with her, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Dora the explorer and that's it! Sorry to hear of your 'loss'! :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:27 pm

sscott wrote:My 5yr old daughter is allowed on the iPAD when I'm with her, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Dora the explorer and that's it! Sorry to hear of your 'loss'! :D
She certainly won't be using it unsupervised again...
I just hope she didn't buy anything on Saturday and Sunday...

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Oh dear, that's not good at all. Right before Christmas too - ouch! :(

andyc

Post by andyc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 am

To be honest, I think it's pretty despicable that a game so obviously targetted at children makes it so easy to spend actual money. I mean, it'd be pretty bad if Halo or Resident Evil had in-game purchasing that wasn't making the cost apparent, but you could at least expect adults to know what they're doing. Kids just aren't going to have a clue and I don't really think it's acceptable to abuse the parents expectation that a smurfs type game would be 'safe' for them to play with.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:41 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: I've since discovered that you can completely turn off in-app purchasing, but I'm absolutely appalled that you're not prompted for a password (which my daughter doesn't know) whenever you spend such a significant amount of money.
when did apple ever give a crap about protecting their customers? once you've bought something from apple all they want is more money and they don't care how they get it, i guarantee somebody working on the iPad suggested password lockout here and was silenced by higher powers within apple.
they've always been and always will be money grabbing gits selling fairly average products at massively inflated values

/Rant
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:04 pm

As a matter of interest is there no consumer law regarding micro payments and the seller having a responsibility to make the consumer aware directly prior to a payment being made?.
I know these titles will include info about payments in their T&C's or EULA's but surely with online transactions there has to be a requirement for a customer to give consent prior to any payment being taken?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:14 pm

andyc wrote:To be honest, I think it's pretty despicable that a game so obviously targetted at children makes it so easy to spend actual money. I mean, it'd be pretty bad if Halo or Resident Evil had in-game purchasing that wasn't making the cost apparent, but you could at least expect adults to know what they're doing. Kids just aren't going to have a clue and I don't really think it's acceptable to abuse the parents expectation that a smurfs type game would be 'safe' for them to play with.
fable 3 has ingame purchasing, their is a room in your sanctuary you go to and you can buy items direct from market place using your points,in the exact manner you use the in game shops! if you don't have points you can readily buy them using your SAVED card details without the need to re-enter anything or provide a password!
ok f3 IS a 16...but we all know that parents allow their kids to play these game, and most family's share profiles rather than paying 2-3 times!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:02 pm

That's not good news Darran!

Could've been worse though... she could've broken it as well. My boss had to send his iPhone off for repair because his 2 year old daughter put it in her mouth, causing the "home" button to malfunction!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Can't you just put it down on your expenses form though? :wink:
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:23 am

Good news. Apple has refunded the money. They state this is a one-off time, but as I've now switched off in-App purchases I'm fine with that.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 am

Hurrah for Apple's customer service.

Did they let her keep the stuff she bought?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 am

That's pretty good of them & no doubt a relief so close to Xmas. (Maybe Santa can take her off the naughty list now.)

All's well that ends well. Valuable lesson learnt! :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:31 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Good news. Apple has refunded the money. They state this is a one-off time, but as I've now switched off in-App purchases I'm fine with that.
wow didn't expect that! Good to hear :)

chewy

Post by chewy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:27 am

To be fair, I don't think you can really blame the kid. To a 5 year old, real money is just like monopoly money, so spending it (especially when it's not a physical transaction) won't faze them! Glad you got the refund though, silver lining!