My daughter just cost me £100

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

My daughter just cost me £100

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:28 am

Here's a cautionary tale.
I've been leaving my iPad at home so my wife can use it. Anyway, when I get home in the evening it's always loaded with children's apps, because Mel lets my 5-year old play on it. Every night I tell her not to let her use it and every day the same thing happens.

Anyway, I've just received an itunes bill for £110, because my daughter has been buying virtual coins at £30 t £60 a pop. My current bill only runs up to Friday, so I have no idea if she's spent any more of my hard-earned cash on virtual money. Needless to say I'm having a pretty censored day at work.

I've since discovered that you can completely turn off in-app purchasing, but I'm absolutely appalled that you're not prompted for a password (which my daughter doesn't know) whenever you spend such a significant amount of money.

Yes I know I should never have left my iPad at home; but it doesn't stop the pain.

retrogarden

Re: My daughter just cost me £100

Post by retrogarden » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 am

That's odd (and crap for you!) as the iphone requires a password for purchases :S. Hell even for free downloads then it needs a password.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 am

Ouch! :(

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:45 am

read a similar story in the paper not long ago, a bloke left his paypal logged in without thinking and let his daughter play some farm game on line, she spent a whole bunch of his cash on virtual animals for her farm!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:55 am

What would we do without our little darlings eh?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:56 am

I thought you'd bought a new daughter, Madonna stylee ;)

iTunes does have a child lock function, does enabling that not assist?

She'll find other ways to spend your money over the years anyway. Our youngest ran up £60 one month phoning MTV. She'd done it so often she had to start using fake names else they wouldn't take her requests live. Mostly while skiving off school - she missed over a third of one term, sneaking back into the house once we went to work. Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't live right next door to the school.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Shiva

Post by Shiva » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:00 am

I hope she likes apps for christmas :)
That glorious b*stard before Mr X.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:02 am

Why would you spend that much on anything and then let you're wife use it? :?

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 am

Damm that sucks, I am sure more than one or two off us ran up large bills dialling up to BB borads. Xbox 360 users take note also MS "save" your card info so keep the kids away
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 am

"Hello? Is that the Orphan house?"
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:32 am

I think a phone call to Father Christmas is in order!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 am

mohicankid wrote:read a similar story in the paper not long ago, a bloke left his paypal logged in without thinking and let his daughter play some farm game on line, she spent a whole bunch of his cash on virtual animals for her farm!
Think i read something similar, the company behind the game were refusing to refund the money.Parents had NO idea that the Virtual world items she was buying, was being paid for by thier very REAL world money.Think things like this are going to increase.My sister had a habbit of buying her 2 girls all the latest games and gizmos, just leaving them to it, for hours on end, not having a clue what kids were doing (they both have PC's in the bedroom, online etc).Kids are very clued up.My sister? Still struggles to retrive voicemails/text messages from her mobile. The Password required for funding/purchasing should be default option in things, sadly seems it's other way around.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 am

thevulture wrote: The Password required for funding/purchasing should be default option in things, sadly seems it's other way around.
[tinfoilhat]They do it on purpose to suck loads of cash out of people then there'll be an inevitable get-out clause that lets them avoid any sort of compensation.[/tinfoilhat]
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:43 am

retrogarden wrote:That's odd (and crap for you!) as the iphone requires a password for purchases :S. Hell even for free downloads then it needs a password.
I think i read somewhere that if another purchase is made within 15mins you dont need to re enter password....or that maybe these new in app purchases only...the game in question was that smurfs game where someones kid bought a wheelbarrow full of berries for £60...id be fuucking gutted to be fair...

My main gripe when you have a new ipod is that you HAVE to use itunes to sort your ipod out then you HAVE to set up an itunes account to download anything and you HAVE to input a credit or debit card even if you are only spending on a pre bought itunes card...its wrong on so many levels.

I also recommend that you set the 4 digit code on the start screen, yeah it can be a pain but if i lose it im happy no other shiit can use it, there is the option after so many tries itll erase all data on ipod.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:14 pm

The same issue you had was on Watchdog a few months ago, with other families having the same issue. Apparently it's pretty widespread.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)