Retro Gamer Release Something 2011!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:24 pm

...Because, you know, the world ends next year (2012)!

I thought it would be nice to usher in the new year with some retro gaming goodness. A short game or game demo, story or whatever you feel up to making yourself. At the moment it's just for fun, but I might even put up a prize of some sort for best effort if we can persuade the forum admins to judge...

RULES

Must be retro game related
Must be submitted by deadline
No offensive stuff please If it's not allowed in the forums - keep it out of your entry.
It must be digital - no posting anything to me or admins (unless it contains the words "chocolate" and "fudge") So photos of anything you've done is OK

If you decide to participate, just post in this topic and let me know. Providing we get enough interest then its on!

Event will run between 10th Dec and 1st of Jan. All entries to be submitted by Jan the 3rd - that gives you a coulple of day leeway to wake from your new years drunkren state (if applicable) After finishing your entry you'll need to summit it to me via PM you can upload it to megaupload or mediafire, or attach it to an email if it's a small enough file.

CURRENT PARTICIPANTS

c0nfu53d (me lol)

GO GO GO

c0nfu53d

Re: Retro Gamer Release Something 2011!

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:25 am

*watches tumbleweed roll by*

Epic Fail?

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:25 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:*watches tumbleweed roll by*

Epic Fail?
[Shrugs] Timescale was probably too short for anyone who does actual 8-bit stuff...

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:59 pm

Nah, epic fail ;)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Timescale wasn't too short, after all it was release something, anything. Long, short a 16x16 pixel graphic, 5 line poem whatever. A nice idea but not popular on these forums I guess. The deadline is nogotionable within reason. For example Feb 2011 is ok Feb 2020 not so much.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Seems a bit of a weird thing for a new user to just kick off. Have you even spoken to any of the forum admins about this?

For all we know you could just be taking created content to post elsewhere :shock: Get involved with the community a bit more.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Seems a bit of a weird thing for a new user to just kick off. Have you even spoken to any of the forum admins about this?

For all we know you could just be taking created content to post elsewhere :shock: Get involved with the community a bit more.
To be honest, I hadn't thought of that. A new user isn't necsaceraly any better or worse than a vetren (sure I can't spell necaceraly lol but...) plus i wanted to do something for xmas/new year so getting involved with the community first wasn't really an option. You know, what better way to get involved than creating a topic like this? Sink or swim as they say. I made like a brick. *blub Blub* Maybe next year, eh?

I'm abit taken back that you think i'd steal someones work and post it elsewhere though.

As far as contacting admins I was gonna do that when I had enough interest and anyway I'm not overly impressed with the admins - I pm'ed darren after joining to ask what happened to my first topic which just went missing. *poof* gone. No reply in a week.

Maybe he's on holiday but still.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:35 pm

To be honest, I scanned the original post and didn't understand what it was asking. Am I supposed to code a game for the start of 2011?

Well, my coding isn't great but I can give you the code from the first ever C64 program I wrote - to set the scene....

It was in WH Smiths Wood Green Shopping City, 1985 - I typed this into the display model and hid round the corner with my cousin, waiting for some 5 year old with their mum to press the return key....

10 Print "soapy t*t w*ank ";
20 Goto 10
Run

So, there was some talk of a prize - not being cocky but I reckon ive won - what is it?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 am

Bub&Bob wrote:To be honest, I scanned the original post and didn't understand what it was asking. Am I supposed to code a game for the start of 2011?
c0nfu53d wrote:A short game or game demo, story or whatever you feel up to making yourself
The first post says it can be anything retro game related. I wouldn't expect anyone to code anything in that timeframe. That said you can knock out a arkanoid clone with something like multimedia fusion 2 (MMF2) in 30 mins. Sure it wouldn't have many levels but it doesn't matter. MMF2 comes with a tutorial which guides you through the process of making it. MMF2 has a 30 day trial. Or use gamemaker which is free or make a very short RPG with RPG maker 2003 also free (sort of) You could make anytype of retro game with these programs super easy.

Bub&Bob wrote: So, there was some talk of a prize what is it?
No idea. hadn't thought about it. If i got intrest I would have contacted admins before offering a prize, as mentioned in the topic. I would probally been a case of pick something/s on a website of your choice up to the value of £whatever and I'd mail 'em to you or cash equv via paypal. But I have a feeling I'd need An admins permission before offering prizes, esp. cash.