'random niceness' thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

shiftytigger

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:35 pm

weakboson wrote:I think this is a great thread but I always thought of this thread a niceness thread, remember? It's for people who want to be nice and give something away without receiving anything in return. In that I don't see that it's necessary to have a rule that someone replaces something that they take - or even that we should be particularly concerned that it has a regular activity beyond that which sincere niceness can sustain. Having too many rules changes it from being about niceness and turns it into a kind of trading.

Giving something to someone only if they replace it with something else is a kind of transaction, even if not all parties involved receive something. Furthermore the new thing wasn't offered up because of niceness, but because of the rule which they had to abide by. Not saying people who offer something up in this situation aren't being nice, just that it's not a given anymore. Those of you who complain that the thread is flooded with half halfhearted offerings should consider what the cause of the problem might be before imposing more rules as a solution.

A thread made less active but more sincere seems like a fair transaction to me! I'm not saying this thread shouldn't have any rules or etiquette but I'd be happy to leave that to the discretion of each nice person. If someone only wants to give something to someone who can offer up something else of equal value, OK, that's up to them, but I don't think an expectation of that in all cases is helpful or necessary.
The point of this thread was never give something away in order to receive it. It is merely a Pay it forward style way of giving. Ive always replaced something if I have requested something , not given the owner of the item something in exchange.

If someone posts up a game , the person who takes it is not obliged to give the owner an item , but instead give the THREAD an item for others to take.

A simple premise that has gone a bit astray. Guess its old farts like me who forget that a Steam code is still a valid game when used. For me Im still dealing in the physical media I know and love. Its not that there is no trade value in codes , but they are a little limiting in who can use them. In as much as any format is also limited in its user base.

We are seeing a lot more of the codes , maybe its just the bitter cynic in me that would hope to see more physical media exchanged here.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:38 pm

I think you are right, Shifty.
A code for a code, a disc for a disc. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:40 pm

gman72 wrote:I think you are right, Shifty.
agreed here too :D

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:48 pm

I hope the Steam code swap idea takes off - maybe I will eventually set an account up to use one too.

Im having a dig about again and Im hoping to find something to get this thread back on track.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:03 pm

“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks to oldtimer for my StarWars/StarTrek cards.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Got a CIB copy of Super Mario Kart Advance for grabs

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:04 pm

samhain81 wrote:Got a CIB copy of Super Mario Kart Advance for grabs
would that be compatible with a ds lite? If so I would like that please

In return I have eagle one harrier attack for the ps1

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:32 pm

flatapex wrote:
samhain81 wrote:Got a CIB copy of Super Mario Kart Advance for grabs
would that be compatible with a ds lite? If so I would like that please

In return I have eagle one harrier attack for the ps1
yes ds lites can play all gba games
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:03 am

gman72 wrote:I think you are right, Shifty.
why stop there?

I say a cartridge for a cartridge.

We can all play

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 am

gman72 wrote:
weakboson wrote:Those of you who complain that the thread is flooded with half halfhearted offerings should consider what the cause of the problem might be before imposing more rules as a solution.
What is the cause of the problem then?
I do see your point but you are missing mine. I'm not talking about altering this thread in any way, shape or form. Simply starting up a new area that nicer items can be offered, safe in the knowledge that the rule set will be adhered to and that decent items will be put back in. Not so much a Random Niceness as a free trade thread. :D
Well the cause is people having to put up a token item that they haven't really had any desire to give away until they realized they needed something to trade. Now one solution to that would be introducing the 'equal value' rule as in the newly formed RN+. The creation of this removes the conflict, and I'm sue it will work in its own way; but it's not in the same spirit of giving without expecting anything in return.
shiftytigger wrote:The point of this thread was never give something away in order to receive it. It is merely a Pay it forward style way of giving. Ive always replaced something if I have requested something , not given the owner of the item something in exchange.

If someone posts up a game , the person who takes it is not obliged to give the owner an item , but instead give the THREAD an item for others to take.
I understand that, my point was that this is still a kind of transaction in a way that simply giving someone a gift is not. I don't think it's necessary to have that there as nice people with stuff to spare will still be nice, but it's moot now we have new threads.

My personal feelings are that it will be easier to use this thread: if I have something cool to offer then I'm just happy to share it; if I see something cool I can request it safe in the knowledge that the person I'm getting it from is just happy to share it too. Nice :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:27 am

Hasn't this all gone swimmingly for like 253 pages? Not really any need to change anything is there? I'm sure there have been members here that haven't put up something after getting a freebee - but if you do have something and offer it up, it keeps things moving in a nice friendly direction.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:37 am

markopoloman wrote:Hasn't this all gone swimmingly for like 253 pages? Not really any need to change anything is there? I'm sure there have been members here that haven't put up something after getting a freebee - but if you do have something and offer it up, it keeps things moving in a nice friendly direction.
No-one is changing this thread, that's certainly not what I was proposing anyway.
For the third time all ive done is offer an alternative area where you can put a nice item in and expect a nice item put in its place. Its really not the big deal people seem to be making it into.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:09 am

After giving some stuff away recently I can emphasise a bit with the people on here who expect people to give something back, post office prices hurt now, I took the gifted stuff to the post office along with a copy of resident evil 2 I had sold on ebay, the money I made selling reisdent evil 2 was eaten up by the postage of the 3 packets. It's good to do nice things for each other but it's hard to be nice when you are paying for it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:22 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:After giving some stuff away recently I can emphasise a bit with the people on here who expect people to give something back, post office prices hurt now, I took the gifted stuff to the post office along with a copy of resident evil 2 I had sold on ebay, the money I made selling reisdent evil 2 was eaten up by the postage of the 3 packets. It's good to do nice things for each other but it's hard to be nice when you are paying for it.
Its a good point mate. I must be tens if not hundreds of pounds out of pocket from the stuff i've given out. I don't worry about such things, because i like doing it... but i only give away what i can afford.

Being nice can be expensive :wink:

I appreciate Gman's efforts with both this and his new RN thread, but from my experience i know you can't please everyone. Top marks for trying, though! :D

Personally, i'll just keep giving stuff away when the mood takes me. On that note.....here's MGS for PSP. All complete.

Black Ridge kindly sent me this, but i've just realised i already have a copy, so i'll pass it on. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)