'random niceness' thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:30 pm

Think maybe a steam code thread would be better. Not being funny but this thread has run fine for a long time but people just keep saying 'ill put something on later if i can be bothered , but please let me have that Panorama Cotton'.

We have mostly traded here in the physical and it worked fine but the item for an item side has got a bit slack lately. Would be a shame to lose a great thread to selfishness.
Image

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Would be a shame to lose a great thread to selfishness.
we don't have to lose this thread at all, mate. Im taking about an Random Niceness plus or Random Niceness Expert edition so to speak where the rules are more strictly enforced. Some of the frequent users here may prefer that but im not 100 percent sure. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Personally I just like to give serviceable stuff away rather than bin it. I usually have no interest in getting something in return and very rarely claim anything so for me it's just about being...nice?

I've probably got some more bits to offer up over the next few days but I'm not going to police who takes what etc. because I don't really want to trawl through the thread to try and see if 'X' person has been replacing items lately...I shouldn't have to. If somebody else wants to keep tabs then by all means because yes, I do agree that something should be replaced because that is the basic foundation of this thread.

As for Steam Codes? They are still games. I would have thought this forum understood that since there are many who champion digital copies of games as being just as good as boxed ones. However, I do think that Steam codes should only be offered as replacements for very low value items because there's no P&P costs involved and the original monetary value of those codes is probably extremely low (I don't 'do' Steam so I'm just assuming).

All that waffle spoken, I'm still going to be around to donate no matter the rules so whatever happens doesn't bother me as long as this thread doesn't die on its own arse because it's a really nice idea and probably one of the best things on the forum to show off the decency of folk here :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by samhain81 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 pm

In response to Black Ridge's Kind offer, I'll be offering up a full retail steam code for

The Walking Dead :)

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Megamixer wrote:Personally I just like to give serviceable stuff away rather than bin it. I usually have no interest in getting something in return and very rarely claim anything so for me it's just about being...nice?
Its not about getting something back in return. That really is not what I mean at all. Not in this thread at least.
If everything that got claimed got replaced the thread would not grind to a halt for weeks on end and would be constantly jogging along nicely, I totally agree that it is one of the best threads on this forum not least because the idiots largely stay away but also because Ive had some great stuff from it (and replaced everything ive taken :wink: ) I certainly am not proposing losing this thread at all or policing this particular thread in any way but setting up an alternative version of the thread in which people can put nicer things safe in the knowledge the rule set will be adhered to and that offered items will also be nice things :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

flatapex
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by flatapex » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:11 pm

some brilliant ideas, would like to see steam codes isolated onto their own thread, i dont use anything online on my consoles so would be nice to see a thread where either cheap stuff is swapped for other cheap stuff or expensive stuff is replaced for expensive stuff or steam swaps are isolated.

i think it misses the point if someone gets something nice and replaces with a steam code
Image

User avatar
snowkatt
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:18 am

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by snowkatt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:16 pm

flatapex wrote:some brilliant ideas, would like to see steam codes isolated onto their own thread, i dont use anything online on my consoles so would be nice to see a thread where either cheap stuff is swapped for other cheap stuff or expensive stuff is replaced for expensive stuff or steam swaps are isolated.

i think it misses the point if someone gets something nice and replaces with a steam code
rigth you are then
here we go http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=46953
lets see if this thing will sink or swim
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

User avatar
Black Ridge
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:38 pm

snowkatt wrote:
flatapex wrote:some brilliant ideas, would like to see steam codes isolated onto their own thread, i dont use anything online on my consoles so would be nice to see a thread where either cheap stuff is swapped for other cheap stuff or expensive stuff is replaced for expensive stuff or steam swaps are isolated.

i think it misses the point if someone gets something nice and replaces with a steam code
rigth you are then
here we go http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=46953
lets see if this thing will sink or swim
Im with you on this. There are some free codes going now :D

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:45 pm

wow, go, Snowkatt. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by samhain81 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:46 pm

wow , some people.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm

samhain81 wrote:wow , some people.
whats up, mate?
whats the problem?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
weakboson
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by weakboson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm

I think this is a great thread but I always thought of this thread a niceness thread, remember? It's for people who want to be nice and give something away without receiving anything in return. In that I don't see that it's necessary to have a rule that someone replaces something that they take - or even that we should be particularly concerned that it has a regular activity beyond that which sincere niceness can sustain. Having too many rules changes it from being about niceness and turns it into a kind of trading.

Giving something to someone only if they replace it with something else is a kind of transaction, even if not all parties involved receive something. Furthermore the new thing wasn't offered up because of niceness, but because of the rule which they had to abide by. Not saying people who offer something up in this situation aren't being nice, just that it's not a given anymore. Those of you who complain that the thread is flooded with half halfhearted offerings should consider what the cause of the problem might be before imposing more rules as a solution.

A thread made less active but more sincere seems like a fair transaction to me! I'm not saying this thread shouldn't have any rules or etiquette but I'd be happy to leave that to the discretion of each nice person. If someone only wants to give something to someone who can offer up something else of equal value, OK, that's up to them, but I don't think an expectation of that in all cases is helpful or necessary.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:58 pm

weakboson wrote:Those of you who complain that the thread is flooded with half halfhearted offerings should consider what the cause of the problem might be before imposing more rules as a solution.
What is the cause of the problem then?
I do see your point but you are missing mine. I'm not talking about altering this thread in any way, shape or form. Simply starting up a new area that nicer items can be offered, safe in the knowledge that the rule set will be adhered to and that decent items will be put back in. Not so much a Random Niceness as a free trade thread. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Black Ridge
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:06 pm

gman72 wrote:
samhain81 wrote:wow , some people.
whats up, mate?
whats the problem?
I dont see the problem? Ive asked that physical items are returned with physical items after you have asked for a wii game from me. you have passed because you do not want to do so. That is fine as i understand it can be a pain getting games out in the post. I am offering up steam codes, which you would be welcome to take in the new thread.

Battalion Wars 2 is back up on offer for the wii

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: 'random niceness' thread

Post by gman72 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Lovely to see the steam code trade thread doing a roaring trade instantly, keeping this thread for actual plastic things. Well done, guys. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests