Have you ever queued up for a midnight release?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: Have you ever queued up for a midnight release?

Post by necronom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't see the point. Usually when I pre-order from the internet I get the game cheaper, and often before the release date. If it's not before, then it's the same day, and by the time I'm in from work it's there for me. If I'd have got it at midnight, I'd have had to go straight to bed anyway by the time I got back home, so I wouldn't gain anything and would lose money and time.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:27 am

Sega2006 wrote:Cant see the point in it, Ill often wait for price drops to buy most things. Me and my mate were in stiches after the ps3 launch as they kept going on and on about how stock was limited and you had to be there at midnight and not all pre orders could be immediatley filled, we went in the next day and most of them still had the majority of their stock, those who did queue up proberly felt like complete d1ckheads.
I doubt the guys waiting in line in London did especially when the walked away with a free HDTV ;)

I have never waited for a midnight launch. I work a couple of doors down from game so I just wait for the day after, I rarel get time off when one is on. Interested to try one though but the game/console would have to be worth a few sleepless hours.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:43 am

my midnight launcg history is as follows:

Dreamcast launch, was well worth it.
Gran Turismo 3 launch very fun night, took days of school after too
Halo 2 launch
Halo 3 launch
Halo odst launch
Halo reach launch
Cod MW2 launch
Black ops on monday

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 am

Nope, never.in past years, i`d get hardware on launch day, Pay the extra to get that day delivery.Thing was, once you got over the honeymoon period of it all being new and exciting, just sat around for weeks waiting for the good games to come out. Don`t even pre-order much these days either, just wait 2-3 weeks till patch/es have come out, price dropped etc.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 am

Grizzly wrote:
Sega2006 wrote:Cant see the point in it, Ill often wait for price drops to buy most things. Me and my mate were in stiches after the ps3 launch as they kept going on and on about how stock was limited and you had to be there at midnight and not all pre orders could be immediatley filled, we went in the next day and most of them still had the majority of their stock, those who did queue up proberly felt like complete d1ckheads.
I doubt the guys waiting in line in London did especially when the walked away with a free HDTV ;)

I have never waited for a midnight launch. I work a couple of doors down from game so I just wait for the day after, I rarel get time off when one is on. Interested to try one though but the game/console would have to be worth a few sleepless hours.
In London there was a point, I was refering to here where you just got the console or console +game package.
Watching you sleep since 1990

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:44 pm

The one and only time was when i went off to the 24 hour asda for the release of San Andreas before midnight.No queues,and no one waiting at the till they set aside for gta's launch.

So while i waited for them to bring my copy to the till ,others arrived to buy their copies.So i told them i had bought the last 20 copies of the game and watched these already sorry bunch of characters ,walk off back to their sweaty old pits from whence they cameth.

Some people are far too gulible .
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Went to the Halo 3 launch with my wee brother, Smeeto was there to pick up his free copy and get his picture taken, I got a sly one.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Only ever queued for a midnight release once and it was pretty soul destroying. I finished work late and came home to an empty house, out of sheer boredom I walked around the corner to the local Blockbuster for Modern Warfare 2. There were a few people there and then the line began to snake around the shop as time went on. Some savage in front kept farting and I was amazed to see a mother buying a copy for her young son who accompanied her to the store. Wouldn't do it again.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 pm

done it a couple of times...only had to queue for MW2 tho as the rest have been from the 24hr Tesco.

Only do it if its a week I am on lates as it gives me a nice excuse for a few hours in the pub beforehand when I am on mornings I prefer to sleep :)

always amazes me how some people get so bothered by what others like to do...if people want to queue up to by a game at midnight then fair play to em as far as I am concerned, doesn't affect my life so why care??

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Funny - I was thinking bout this the other day.
Call me old fashioned but I've never wanted a game so much I would drive all the way into town, and wait in line for it, to only be able to play it a few hours that very eve. I'll just pick it up the next day when I'll hopefully be more awake to play it.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 am

The games I look forward to never get midnight releases so it's never been an issue.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:35 am

Nope never done and never will, I'll normally wait a week for all the hype to die down, or in the case of MW2 I put in a pre order at the local Blockbuster and just picked it up on my way home from work.

FooAtari

Post by FooAtari » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:57 am

Done it twice myself. Once to buy Halo 2 which was such a let down it wasn't worth the hassle. But my mate came with me and we actually had a good laugh with other people queuing.

Second time was with my mate to get his Wii. Wasn't such a good laugh that time.

All in I wouldn't do it again, especially when you can pre-order whatever it is you want online and get it just as quickly or even earlier in most cases.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 pm

When i read the title i thought you meant night club toilets.. ;)

RIK

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:28 am

To smart to.
Wii pre-ordered months before
As a matter of fact I don't tend to rush out to buy a new game as most the ones I want drop in price shortly afterwards