Have you ever queued up for a midnight release?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Have you ever queued up for a midnight release?

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:57 am

I just don't quite understand all this queuing up for midnight release rubbish. Perhaps its because I'm in my thirties now and have learned patience or perhaps I've had it all along? I don't know. What I do know is, that whatever the next cool or 'it thing' that gets released next, I will never stand in a queue with a load of people I don't know waiting to get mine. No, I will wait till the next day or the next week, or if its out of stock, whenever it comes in to stock again.

I'm starting to see these midnight launches all to often now, especially games. They did it with Halo, they did it with Call of Duty MW2 and Black Ops is getting the same treatment. It's just silly if you ask me.

Have you queued up for something for a midnight release? Why do you do it?

Kilb

Re: Have you ever queued up for a midnight release?

Post by Kilb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 am

Can you put me in the almost box please. :D
When Halo 3 came out I went into my local 24 hour store on the way to work (about 5.30) to purchase it
So in answer to your question, no :(

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:12 am

Yeah i find that crazy, quite happy to go the next day and buy it. DIdnt SirClive queue for hours to get the latest iphone ?!

I did get the Oasis album 'Be Here Now' the second the shop opened in Windsor back in '97 (got a crappy t shirt as i was one of the first 10 !) but i just got there at 8.30am when the store opened as i got it before i went to work, didnt have a sleeping bag or anything !

Dont get me wrong i would want the game the day it was out but often i would be at work so i would get it that lunchtime. But some people also book days off so they can play the game non stop the second they get it which i find a bit odd. Read one story of a bloke who booked a week off work so he could play Half Life II non stop. He then completed it ! Would rather take my time with a game than play it solidly like that.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:26 am

Only time I've done that was for the launch of the Dreamcast. I spent over £500 that night :shock:

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 am

psj3809 wrote:I did get the Oasis album 'Be Here Now' the second the shop opened in Windsor back in '97 (got a crappy t shirt as i was one of the first 10 !) but i just got there at 8.30am when the store opened as i got it before i went to work, didnt have a sleeping bag or anything !
Yeah I was waiting outside Woolworths for it to open to get Be Here Now. I remember it was a big deal to keep the receipt to prove you got it on the day with having that calander thing inside. Still got mine!
psj3809 wrote:But some people also book days off so they can play the game non stop the second they get it which i find a bit odd. Read one story of a bloke who booked a week off work so he could play Half Life II non stop. He then completed it ! Would rather take my time with a game than play it solidly like that.
Never booked time off, but I did throw a sickie the day Tony Hawk 4 was released. And when San Andreas came out I was supposed to be going to Stoke to have the weekend with my (then) girlfriend but I was enjoying playing it so much I rang her and told her I had glandular fever and couldnt go. Cue me spending an insane amount of time on the game, then going into town with my mates on the saturday night.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:41 am

Yep! But strangely it was for Fifa 10 and Fifa 11!

The anticipation builds about a month from release and there are a few of us who play it a lot online together. We would be sat at home anyway so might as well get a couple hours in and part of the fun is queuing. Reminds me of when I was younger and each new blockbuster game would bring a very sleepless night!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:46 am

Cant see the point in it, Ill often wait for price drops to buy most things. Me and my mate were in stiches after the ps3 launch as they kept going on and on about how stock was limited and you had to be there at midnight and not all pre orders could be immediatley filled, we went in the next day and most of them still had the majority of their stock, those who did queue up proberly felt like complete d1ckheads.
Watching you sleep since 1990

James A

Post by James A » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:51 am

Yes for Modern Warfare 2. I was going to get it in the morning but my friends car broke and he was getting it at midnight so the bribe of a curry made me give him a lift in so in ended up getting it then.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 am

Nope never. I have the patience of steel :lol:

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 am

I've never queued up for a midnight release, but I still remember standing outside Electronics Boutique waiting for it to open so I could get Banjo-Kazooie with a limited edition, once-it's-gone-it's-gone RareWare rucksack (that, from the look of it, no doubt cost about 0.001p to make).

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:51 am

I did it for Halo 2 but mainly because I was caught up with all the hype. Actually turned out to be a pretty fun night with Gamestation buying in a load of pizza and dishing it out to everyone waiting they even had a demo unit where you could play the game early.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm

never considered queueing for a midnight launch, im a little bit stingy really as it means i'll have to pay about another tenner to get a taxi home on top of the price :lol:
i really dont mind waiting till the next day or even a few weeks until it goes down in price, my brother used to work in gamestation and often gets given the games a few days before they come out on the condition that he doesnt tell anyone

i did get into the queue early doors on the day of the gamecube release, was me and 2 other people, they looked like they had been there for hours, looked weary, i roll up about 5 mins before the shop opened and got the first one.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:51 pm

No but I might do it for the 3DS :)

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm

[loftysneer]I haven't, it just seems so undignified. No matter how interested or likely I am to buy a product I don't want to be part of the marketing hype. It reminds me of those mini-riots you see on TV when the Boxing Day sales open. We're all consumers to some extent but there's no need revel in it in such a sickening fashion. I won't camp outside a bloody shop for hours only to have to tussle with the hoi-polloi to get something 'first' or 'grab a bargain', it's beneath me.[/loftysneer]
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

dste

Post by dste » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Never done it and never will as cannot be bothered.

The thing will be there the next day and if it isn't i'll just wait.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!