What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Cheers chaps. I forced myself to drive to work and back the last 2 days. Not perfect driving by any means but I made it which was encouraging. :)

I may master the manual yet, but still tempted by the idea of an auto. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:41 am

White van drivers

Totally live up to the image. Last week, first day of the holiday. On the motorway near Manchester the traffic in the third lane grinds to a halt, a few seconds later a huge hit in the back of the car and mr white van driver must have been way too close.

Didnt even get out of his van to check on my two young kids who were in hysterics. My car somehow was drivable but 30 mins later broke down (engine management light) and we waited on a grass verge for 3 hours !

He didnt even get out to really apologise or that, said he had a heavy load in the van so thats why he couldnt stop in time (or dont drive up peoples behinds). Moaned to his company but i'm sure they'll do sweet FA. 2 days to get the hire car sorted out ! Complete pain

'Funny' how it works out though, not blaming my 3 year old but if he didnt puke in the car 30 mins earlier so we stopped to clean the car for ages then we wouldnt have been near the white van - butterfly effect and all that. His 10p pocket money will be stopped

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:49 am

People who moan, sulk and stamp their feet like children because they don't like paintings in an art gallery. I mean come on, it's art and you interpret it your own way, right?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 pm
Cheers chaps. I forced myself to drive to work and back the last 2 days. Not perfect driving by any means but I made it which was encouraging. :)

Maybe I've missed it, but can't believe nobody noted that "gears" are grinding your gears. :P

If that puns already been made, I wholeheartedly apologise!

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 pm
pratty wrote:

Maybe I've missed it, but can't believe nobody noted that "gears" are grinding your gears. :P

If that puns already been made, I wholeheartedly apologise!
Ha, I did realise that but I do beleive you are the first to make the pun, and make it well you did sir. :)

I would say there have been some improvments in my driving the last few days, but another reason I'm leaning towards an auto now is my left ankle has flared upand is quite sore, which it often did befgore driving, might be some mild athritis or something, but the clutch peddle seems to be aggrevating it. :(

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:41 am
White van drivers

Totally live up to the image. Last week, first day of the holiday. On the motorway near Manchester the traffic in the third lane grinds to a halt, a few seconds later a huge hit in the back of the car and mr white van driver must have been way too close.

Didnt even get out of his van to check on my two young kids who were in hysterics. My car somehow was drivable but 30 mins later broke down (engine management light) and we waited on a grass verge for 3 hours !

He didnt even get out to really apologise or that, said he had a heavy load in the van so thats why he couldnt stop in time (or dont drive up peoples behinds). Moaned to his company but i'm sure they'll do sweet FA. 2 days to get the hire car sorted out ! Complete pain

'Funny' how it works out though, not blaming my 3 year old but if he didnt puke in the car 30 mins earlier so we stopped to clean the car for ages then we wouldnt have been near the white van - butterfly effect and all that. His 10p pocket money will be stopped
As a white van driver myself, you can't blame heavy loads because you just have to slow down earlier to compensate for that. It's just basic stuff.

As for not apologising or anything, we are instructed to never admit liability even if it is our fault. Just record the facts/damage to both vehicles and let the business's insurance deal with it. Maybe that's why any sort of apology was not forthcoming.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:53 pm

It was more the fact he just didn’t bother checking the two young kids were okay. Genuinely seemed more annoyed he had to wait a few minutes while I got details. Perhaps I was just super unlucky. Any other driver might have really apologised and checked the kids were okay etc and been decent about it specially when they were obviously in the wrong.

Not a nice experience at all

Weird how it all happens though. Butterfly effect and that. Eg if my 3 year old hadn’t puked his guts up 5 miles into the journey so we cleaned the car for 10 mins I’m a layby this wouldn’t have happened as that part wouldn’t have been near us. Or something else might have happened instead (start the spooky music!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:42 pm

The council cut the grass just beyond our garden today. They've kicked up a stone and knocked a big chunk out of the glass in one of my windows. Thankfully it hasnt come through both panes, but its left a hole I've taped over for now.

I just know it's going to be a pain putting in a claim for this. I imagine just finding out how will be a trial in itself.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 pm

The state of the news in general, but especially the downward spiral of the BBC news website, something I've moaned about before.

I watched the Joe Rogan podcast with Elon Musk today, didn't bat an eyelid when Musk had a few smokes of Rogan's joint. Now it's front page news: "Man does legal thing in place where thing is legal, shocker!".

I realise Tesla's share prices also took a hit (pun intended) and an executive resigned (why?) as a result, but that wasn't even the headline. It was simply Musk having a smoke.

There's far too much sensationalism, opinion and random trivia on the BBC news website, surely that's not what people are paying their licence fee for. I get commerical news needs the hits/ratings but the BBC is in the fortunate position that they can actually provide quality unbiased journalism and not sorry about making money.

Seems like they're just wasting resources making content for content's sake. As I type there's an article headlined "Hawk knocked unconcious during bird chase", and the BBC is asking the hard-hitting question "Is free pizza for life worth a tattoo?"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:55 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:32 pm
The state of the news in general, but especially the downward spiral of the BBC news website, something I've moaned about before.

I watched the Joe Rogan podcast with Elon Musk today, didn't bat an eyelid when Musk had a few smokes of Rogan's joint. Now it's front page news: "Man does legal thing in place where thing is legal, shocker!".

I realise Tesla's share prices also took a hit (pun intended) and an executive resigned (why?) as a result, but that wasn't even the headline. It was simply Musk having a smoke.

There's far too much sensationalism, opinion and random trivia on the BBC news website, surely that's not what people are paying their licence fee for. I get commerical news needs the hits/ratings but the BBC is in the fortunate position that they can actually provide quality unbiased journalism and not sorry about making money.

Seems like they're just wasting resources making content for content's sake. As I type there's an article headlined "Hawk knocked unconcious during bird chase", and the BBC is asking the hard-hitting question "Is free pizza for life worth a tattoo?"
The whisky that Elon Musk drank throughout the podcast would have been more detrimental to his health than a couple of puffs of a joint, which he didn't even appear to inhale! (what a waste!) You're right, its not an issue, especially given it was in California, and nobody tends to bat an eyelid anymore at seeing people in fiction or reality consuming far higher amounts of a more toxic substance in booze....."but but but WHAT about the children?!" :lol:

I'm not quite as bothered about the BBC as you it would appear, despite the current headlines once again attacking Jeremy Corbyn (quel surprise, i wonder if they mention anti-semitism for the bajillionth time?? yep, just checked, BINGO!). But we should be careful not to discuss politics on this forum, as that ship sailed last year! :P

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:16 pm

People.

Tried to leave for work this morning and a neighbour over the road had parked with his van partially blocking my drive way exit. I tried to squeeze though on an angle to avoid hitting his van but I scraped the back left of my car on my other gatepost. It was just damage to the paint but I don't see why I should have a scratched car because i had to avoid his. I just went to see him after work and he said it wasn't his fault, the best he's prepared to do is maybe go halves on the cost of a repaint.

So I went to work in a bad mood and then that just compounded all the usual crap at work so it was just a miserable day. I really saw the selfishness in people today.

Then I thought I'd cheer myself up by opening the spare 2DS I'd ordered to find it wasn't as desrcibed , I had contacted the seller before ordering to ask about the screens as asked specifically if there was any dirt under the screens, and I've just found out there is after they'd assured me there wasn't. I'm confident I'll get my money back cus I bought from a business but still... was it too much to ask?

Overall I really feel like I lost my faith in people today, like I really started to resent the fact I have to live alongside other people and co-exist with people that either won't, or just don't know how to, do the right thing by other people.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Unbelievable!

So finished another long day at work, got in car, put on seat belt, girl gets out of the car next to mine and opens her door right into the side of mine, because my car doesn't have enough new scratches. :roll:

Parent says and does nothing. No apology , no respect. I don't remember guy from yesterday even apologising either come to think of it. :x

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:25 pm

People that rush onto a tram and get in the way of people getting off
Its not that hard to stay out of the way as people get off
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:38 am

pratty wrote:

Driving an automatic car was the best thing I ever did, as I could not get on with gears. My automatic car has creep so it moves forward when stationary. God send on hills hold the break down and take your foot off. I know a lot of people who passed in an automatic car as they couldn’t get on with manual gears.

Only the UK that uses manual cars most other countries use automatic
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:23 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:38 am
pratty wrote:

Driving an automatic car was the best thing I ever did, as I could not get on with gears. My automatic car has creep so it moves forward when stationary. God send on hills hold the break down and take your foot off. I know a lot of people who passed in an automatic car as they couldn’t get on with manual gears.

Only the UK that uses manual cars most other countries use automatic
All automatics creep slowly if you take you foot of the break unless you put it in neutral or park. My manual car holds a couple of seconds on hills making pulling of easier. The thing I've found off putting with auto's is the slight delay from pressing the accelerator and pulling off made even worse if the cars got auto stop/start. Modern cars are better for this but it's still there. I regularly use a busy fast moving large roundabout where a quick pull off is essential, very few gaps appear in the traffic.