What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ryan GH

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Ryan GH » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:47 am

There was a magazine called Hyper in Australia which was fairly popular and had a fantastic forum. The magazine was bought out by another media company and they were told to issue perma-bans on the forum for just about anything. The forum quickly went down-hill fast with many of the regulars leaving until it was nothing more than a ghost town. The Hyper magazine took a huge fall in sales too and is now nothing more than a quarterly joke. Yes, they went from monthly to a quarterly and its only a matter of time before they pull the pin.

What is even more bizarre is the fact that another australian publication called PC Powerplay lost its forum users over a disaster of merging with another forum which caused utter chaos. PC Powerplay was one of the greatest forums around for aussies and the magazine is not doing too well now.
Come on Retro Gamer, a great community is important for the magazine's popularity. Don't let it all come tumbling down as I would hate to see you go as I love the magazine so much.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:51 pm

People who feel the need to fight other people's battles for them.

Especially when the person is quite capable of fighting their own battles and said friend isn't in full possession of the facts, making things 10 times worse!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:32 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:04 pm
Markopoloman being permanently banned after years of service as a moderator. Disgusting behaviour on Future's behalf.
I'm sorry you feel this way, but the rules are in place for a reason, regardless of how much great work mark did in the past he was seen as breaking the rules. If we made concessions for markopoloman then it shows favouritism towards him.
But a Permaban? Far too extreme for any minor infraction. Showing favouritism, or a level headed decision. This one size fits all moderating really doesn't work. It's one of the reasons why Mark was a good mod. He did actually consider past action and personality. Do you honestly believe with a clear conscience that permanently banning Mark is the ethical thing to do?
I'm an occasional visitor, so what do I know... but whenever I did come back to the forum I would be happy to see the old crowd here still in force. And MPM's larger-than-life presence was something you could rely on. Nice guy, too. Took me to Blackpool with his mates for a Play Expo a few years ago and I remember listening to SID tunes in the p*ssing rain on the way there and a mad dash back to Eastleigh station on the way back so I could get on the last train home. Happy days ...
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:45 am

Perfume/scent/fragrance adverts.

The Gucci one featuring Jared Leto makes me want to vomit in my mouth.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:50 am

^ Want to really get angry? Think how much someone was paid to think that crap up

Recently, it's been Slack for me, we've started using it at work and I hate it. Useless distractions half the time, vague info the other half. Email alone is bad enough without adding more layers of rubbish

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:56 am

Radio adverts that use music the station will never play

Planet Rock used to be great, now its full of adverts using pop songs, modern pop songs

Or s**t as they are known

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:17 am

The radio stations in Perth are all really censored. Most of them play the same old crap again and again and again. I laugh when they advertise themselves as "No Repetition" and then proceed to play a particular song 3 or 4 times in a single day. All the non-mainstream stations are pretty bad too. Triple J mostly plays australian music but most of that is pretty generic crap with the occasional diamond in the rough....

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:04 am

Both fricking chip shops next to us being closed on a Sunday, WTF?

Lovely hot day at the beach, cannot be bothered to cook grab some fish and chips for tea. Nope, not on your life apparently. Ridiculous.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 am

No fresh fish on a Sunday, surely ;)
Never trust a chippie that is open Sundays...

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 am

Whenever I order anything, you can guarantee it will arrive when there is NOBODY around to take it in. I ordered from Amazon and the vague tracking info given was basically "its on its way" and a green line.
Anyway yesterday, beautiful scorching day sat in, in case I miss the delivery.

All day until 4pm, a car pulls up guy gets out, i eagerly wait for a knock and he posts the parcel through my letterbox.

Gutted, wasted a day waiting for it to be put through the letterbox anyway...then go back on amazon to see the notification green line hadnt even moved, still claiming its on its way.

Then this morning some doorstep chancer knocked my door...now we have a letterbox and a knocker which we can hear very well...no he wasnt using either of these and pounded on the glass panel to the side of the knocker, i hear his mate mutter something about the tv being on so theyre in...and it was followed with the same bit of glass being tapped with a key!. one of those, duh,duh,duhduh,duh pause duh,duh noises.

I bolted to the door and he said we are in the area today only for buy the front of your house windows and get the back free?. I said knock my door with a key on glass again and youll be buying me a new window for the door. He didnt even apologise...i can see ive caught you at the wrong time ill call back, and walked off.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Agreed, there's nothing worse than waiting in for an entire day and your package not turning up. Incredibly frustrating.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:07 am

I have problems with my local postie too. I have EDGE subscription and I swear to God the other day I got the latest issue and two issues before that one all on the same day. I mean, WTF???

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:08 am

HMRC website.

Received a tax rebate, yay, and the letter said that I can claim it online so that it takes five days to hit the bank account rather than having to wait 60 days for a cheque (yes really, 60 days).

Head to the web address provided, click on a link saying claim rebate, takes me right back to the first page. Every single link that I could find to try and claim kept taking me back to the first page. Absolutely ridiculous.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:03 am

Reaction videos.

I would generally like to know what other people here think of them as I cannot stand them. The O/H for some reason put one on after the Doctor reveal and it was a lad/man from England being completely over the top. Dramatic gasps, swearing and silences, open mouthed and the like. The bit that made me really want to beat him was when he sat there going 'I need a minute, just give me a minute'.

Urgh.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:24 am

Havent seen the Dr Who one but you make it sound so annoying my stomach turned. I have in the past watched a few walking dead reaction videos where people are crying and screaming "why, whyyyyyyyeeeeee...not Ben noooo. Someone on here replied that most are paid to act like that a la gogglebox.

My irritation at the moment is the obligatory love for Game of thrones from superbinge watchers for the new series..experts on disecting the first episode including ed sheerans song - which i thought was such an irksome jarring performance from a bland lad i half expected adele to crop up as some sluutty singing barmaid -