What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:53 pm

nokgod wrote:Don't you allow updates in rest mode? Saves helluva lot of time.
I personally don't because I like to switch everything off completely at the wall whenever I'm not using it...

Haven't had my PS4 on for a few months now but I know the games I was last playing have had a load of updates released so all of that will be waiting for me upon my return. 3DS has some sort of system update that needs doing but I keep postponing it every time I switch on just so I can jump straight into the game. Pretty sure the Wii-U will have something waiting as well.

It's just the way it is unfortunately. My internet being extremely average makes it worse.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't think I switched my original PS4 off from when i bought it on release until i traded it in for my Pro. :lol: There's nothing to be worried about Rich, its not gonna burn your house down. I guess i'm also blessed with having Virgin's finest internet speed, even full game downloads don't eat too much time.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:26 pm

nokgod wrote:I don't think I switched my original PS4 off from when i bought it on release until i traded it in for my Pro. :lol: There's nothing to be worried about Rich, its not gonna burn your house down. I guess i'm also blessed with having Virgin's finest internet speed, even full game downloads don't eat too much time.
Yeah, decent internet is a must. I always find it amusing when you get folks moaning about updates and downloads then it turns out they're on some sort of budget broadband with poor speeds and caps. No matter how many times they're told about needing a good connection they still pile into this console gen and expect miracles from their puny 4mb line.
And leaving your console off for months and expecting no updates is laughable. The days when consoles and games remained static are long gone. New features, fixes and content are being worked on and added all the time.

That disc by the way? It hardly ever has the full game on it. Often, it actually has no game on it at all. The disc in your hand is pretty much a placatory token for those people who just can't let go of physical media and feel uncomfortable buying a download code. Eventually they WILL be gone.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Updates.......

PUT THEM ON THE BLOODY DISC DAMN IT
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:11 pm

nokgod wrote:I don't think I switched my original PS4 off from when i bought it on release until i traded it in for my Pro. :lol: There's nothing to be worried about Rich, its not gonna burn your house down. I guess i'm also blessed with having Virgin's finest internet speed, even full game downloads don't eat too much time.
Well I know somebody whose house almost burnt down from a faulty power supply so I guess I'm just overly cautious. Also had a phone charger literally blow up with some flames but luckily I was there in the room when it happened :shock:

Updates are annoying but I have accepted it. If a massive update is happening then I'll just do something else while it's doing its thing. Took me 3-4 days to download Yakuza 5 on PS3 and about 2 days to update Street Fighter V on PS4 :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:54 pm

My internet speeds are fine, and my ps4 is kept on rest mode all the time. My xbox one is also on standby, i pay the sub for ps+ but not xbox live so maybe that will be part of the issue as sony update through the rest mode too. I have read that killer instinct has an issue wherby if you install the disc first then dload the update it takes forever, my issue seems to be a touchy subject with some as im neither fanboy for either console, i cant understand why the game on the disc installs and before you can play anything there is a massive 46gb download. Now 46gb is massive for a patch or update, so what was the purpose of the disc?what is on the disc?nit doesnt say what is in the 46gb update that trickles through... Maybe its just killer instinct.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:22 am

I'm wary of Standby mode too, though my broadband is pretty damn nippy so there's no real hassle in not using it. I've taken to just playing something else if there's an update DLing, especially when it's a regular occurrence like with Overwatch.

But yeah, either way good broadband is a must for this gen, for good or ill.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:40 pm

The London marathon being on tv.
Knighthoods (and other honours) going to folk who can ride a bike/run fast/jump over stuff

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:04 pm

The amount of rubbish on TV

Gee im glad I have a few channels to chose from so I dont have to watch what I dont like, or better still, the internet with almost limitless channels of what ever I want so I dont have to see what I dont
Saves a lot of time
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:04 pm

Crunch time. Job is done, most of the crew have left, I still have a pile of reports to write and only a couple of days sail to get them done. All because there was a bottleneck in the process before mine.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:20 pm

Children's toy packaging.

Christ. Daughter received an Elsa doll and a Barbie doll over the weekend and there were a massive pain in the arse to get out of the boxes. First of all I had to hack through the plastic with scissors and then there were eight of those blooming plastic tie things to cut. Wouldn't have been so bad if they were not so tight that you struggle to get the scissors through and two of them were in their heads so I had to avoid cutting their hair off.

Grrrrr.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 pm

stvd wrote:The London marathon being on tv.
Really ? I don't watch it but the race gets loads of money for charity. Plus it's on TV only once a year. Sunday morning TV isn't exactly ruined

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:11 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Really ? I don't watch it but the race gets loads of money for charity.
Bah! Bloody do-gooders. :P

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:12 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Really ? I don't watch it but the race gets loads of money for charity. Plus it's on TV only once a year. Sunday morning TV isn't exactly ruined
Yes, really!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:58 pm

The Beans wrote:
Yeah, decent internet is a must. I always find it amusing when you get folks moaning about updates and downloads then it turns out they're on some sort of budget broadband with poor speeds and caps. No matter how many times they're told about needing a good connection they still pile into this console gen and expect miracles from their puny 4mb line.
And leaving your console off for months and expecting no updates is laughable. The days when consoles and games remained static are long gone. New features, fixes and content are being worked on and added all the time.

That disc by the way? It hardly ever has the full game on it. Often, it actually has no game on it at all. The disc in your hand is pretty much a placatory token for those people who just can't let go of physical media and feel uncomfortable buying a download code. Eventually they WILL be gone.
I held off from getting involved with this gen (and didn't bother much with the previous) as our broadband was awful, we had about 2-3mb at best. Went down to under 1mb and the whole thing turned into sky Vs bt blame ping pong, got fed up and changed to virgin. I have the xb1 on standby as everything needs updates as it's new and that's how it goes. Will probably unplug everything except TV and TiVo when we go on holiday