What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RMLF

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by RMLF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:People who say "I cant work" but who post well thought out arguments on internet forums, thus disproving their initial statements.
:evil: :roll:
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:44 am

Sorry, but it does grind my gears when people say "I can't work".

Its the unquestioning acceptance of someone else's statement that really gets me. "The doctor said..."

Screw what the doctor said.

Anyone rational and intelligent with keyboard skills is potentially more employable than some I've worked with.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:50 am

Shinobi, that thing you're talking about with people in lifts? Just a bit bizarre, never heard of anything like that before :lol:

Okay:
-BUPA - Why should people with more money get better health-care?
-Those born around 1992-1994 - incapable of doing anything unless it's been talked about on Facebook.
-People who read the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Telegraph, News Of The World, Mirror, Sun, Star, People, Guardian and Independent.
-Tesco (and Sainsbury's too, why not?)
-Next, Topman, Primark, HMV... Pretty much any high street shop.
-Every customer who goes to my shop, with the exception of maybe half a dozen.
-Customers who talk on the phone/don't look at you whilst being served.
-Customers who when they decide they don't want something anymore, just leave it anywhere in the shop.
-The ones who root through all the ham/milk/eggs/cheese etc thinking that at the back there'll be one with a date MONTHS into the future or something.
-Shoplifters.
-Tories.
-The pot-heads who clearly come from well-off familes, yet still walk around stinking of the stuff and wearing ridiculous hats.
-Students, clubbers etc.
-People who moan about hangovers.
-Old people who think that you want to listen about how they'd like to see all the immigrants shot.
-People who urinate in public areas.
-Racists, and the even worse "casual" racists.
-People who sit in McDonald's with their laptop, or who sit in coffee shops with their iBooks.
-Coffee shops and iBooks.
-i-ANYTHING. The whole lot of them!
-People who scream when they see a spider.
-People who have heaters in the garden.
-ANYONE who does ANYTHING that could be considered "ironic".
-Owen Wilson.
-People who say "fuck" every third word in any given sentence.
-People who call me a "faggot" for not drinking or being obsessive about football.
-People who own guns.
-Shooting clubs, golf courses.
-Golf and shooting.
-Spending ages writing these lists and then remembering more stuff after posting them.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:54 am

Sony`s latest firmware update for PS3. 3.42 is it?. I use PS3 web browser, as 'on' PS3 more than PC, quicker to fire up etc.Whilst new firmware update has meant text is in bold, easier to read etc, the bloody browser has locked my PS3 up 4 times in last 48 hrs. Sent a report to Sony each time-Every time in reboots you get a 'Your PS3 did not shut down properly last time...'etc etc, Scans what your running on your PS3, whats on HDD etc, straight to Sony.So they KNOW i`m a legit user, not running anything i should`nt be, EXCEPT thier code.so Fix it you morons.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:56 am

[quote="TwoHeadedBoy"
-People who read the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Telegraph, News Of The World, Mirror, Sun, Star, People, Guardian and Independent.
[/quote]

Any particular reason for that as I read 2 of those papers.
Splink!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 am

felgekarp wrote:[quote="TwoHeadedBoy"
Any particular reason for that as I read 2 of those papers.[/quote]
:oops: I`m a Mirror reader, now and then.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:02 am

I quite enjoy The News of the World if I'm visiting the mother in law.

Not as a newspaper, but as light entertainment, its full of ridiculous stories.

I used to buy the Sport for much the same reason in its early years, when they'd publish any old rubbish as long as they could fit a pic of a fit bird around it.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:05 am

Sensitive sort here *makes note of pet hates and moves carefully :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:06 am

People who make notes.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 am

Not singling out any of them, just a general "All newspapers" sort of thing, and people who don't feel able to form an opinion on anything without one of the newspapers telling them what to think. Every day it's the same thing:

-The Mail, Express and Telegraph with the latest "outrage" against British decency;
-The Mirror, Star, Sun and News Of The World with their non-news about Big Brother or Wayne Rooney;
-The Guardian being so far up its own arse that its readers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between "news" and the sphincter;
-The Times, whilst standing out from the rest, is a Tory paper so can't be trusted;
-And finally the Independent, which has "News, not opinion" as its manifest, I can't find a problem with, but no-one ever buys it so it's just a waste of paper.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:33 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Shinobi, that thing you're talking about with people in lifts? Just a bit bizarre, never heard of anything like that before :lol:

Okay:

-The ones who root through all the ham/milk/eggs/cheese etc thinking that at the back there'll be one with a date MONTHS into the future or something.
Must admit, I do this :oops: It's not about getting stuff with a Best Before Date months into the future, but stuff with a few days left would be nice...a lot of the time, with milk especially, if you grab one from the back then you at least get to the end of the week with it. I've been burnt before just grabbing the stuff at the front and having it go 'off' on me by the next day. :evil:

See what you mean about the newspapers though, I touched on it myself....it's not a case of not liking everybody who reads them (I'll often read the Daily Star and Mirror myself) but the people who take every single thing they read in the rags as 'gospel truth' (and there are plenty of them around, unfortunately, just read the letters pages in said newspapers) are usually the most ill informed and bigoted people of the lot. :evil:
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:55 am

ToxieDogg wrote:just read the letters pages in said newspapers
Take those with more than a pinch of salt.

Some of my friends compete with one another to get letters printed on outrageous, silly or sometimes even just plain dull topics.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Sorry, but it does grind my gears when people say "I can't work".

Its the unquestioning acceptance of someone else's statement that really gets me. "The doctor said..."

Screw what the doctor said.

Anyone rational and intelligent with keyboard skills is potentially more employable than some I've worked with.

Should I do that for driving as well as the Doctor said I shouldn't do that either.. would look good if I drove and crashed? :wink:

Basically I havent got the stamina to work, that combined with unpredictable and very hard to manage intense pain, lack of mobility and so on means I dont need a doctor to say Iam not able to work. I know I cant. The doctor thing helps stuff like you know benefits and the like

Currently am suffering after yesterday where I thought it would be great to go on my drums for a bit because I felt 'fit'

Seized up completely last night spent hours on the floor stuck, had very little sleep, my neck feels like its 'broken'. It isnt but the pain is overwhelming. I look like Iam 'wasted' , wobbly, slurry speech and thoughts completely over the place.

Currently giving serious thought to whether I should sell my R3play ticket because iam so poor physically at the moment. The last lot of back rehab I did which is an hour of low level pilates and circuit training for 1 hr per week, left me a wreck for 4 weeks as in impossible to do even the most simple of things like, stairs, washing etc

Id love to be able to work, in any capacity, right now that's impossible however
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:26 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Shinobi, that thing you're talking about with people in lifts? Just a bit bizarre, never heard of anything like that before :lol:

Okay:

Must admit, I do this :oops: It's not about getting stuff with a Best Before Date months into the future, but stuff with a few days left would be nice...a lot of the time, with milk especially, if you grab one from the back then you at least get to the end of the week with it. I've been burnt before just grabbing the stuff at the front and having it go 'off' on me by the next day. :evil:
I do it with bread, ironic considering I work in a shop and get p*ssed off at customers doing it meaning that all the stuff at the front goes out of date and has to be binned :evil: :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:01 pm

I USED to be a fabrication Engineer. Did it for 12 years, 3 years at tech.etc etc.when i was 21, Many years ago, F**ked my back up, that was it, damage done.Qwak said:Change jobs, learn to live with it.Basically? when it decides to go, i`m bent over to the right, walking etc bloody difficult. Worse case`s? bed ridden.Had the whole Physio therapy etc etc. I did manage to find a less physically demanding job, but boy was i lucky, H.R at the time i sent in my application? Had a field day when they saw:History of back problems on the form.i get by on very strong pain killers etc, as IF i lost this job due to time off sick because of it? Chances of getting another like it? Cat in hells.Why am i mentioning this? Because mine is MINOR compared to Ralph`s, but like his, i get NO warning signs.Can be fine and dandy, then Bam.Get a muscle spasm, that`s it, backs gone, At very least very painful next 10 days.Not taking sides, but do understand where Ralph is coming from.