What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 am

David wrote:Being in a dispute with an organisation who have gotten afraid of what I am exposing about them and as such they have hired a very expensive partner from a top solicitors who is causing me stress by saying i am making defamatory remarks etc against his clients.

However I have come into physical evidence of what I have been saying being true but it's now going to be me vs a hotshot solicitor.

But I am right and the truth shall prevail but it's stressful as hell in a week where I started back on anti depressants. It concerns my child so I must fight on but it's draining the last energy out of me
Wow. That makes other people's gripes on here look rather trivia. The best of luck with your situation, David. I hope you get through it.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:42 am

rocky1980 wrote:Having to explain to people over and over again what 4K means on a TV and why they do not need one... yet
Usually the same people who don't even watch in HD I'll bet!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 am

Usually the same people who don't even watch in HD I'll bet!
You have no idea, I have been in houses where they have a really nice 40+ inch TV on the wall with built in free view HD, are they using it ? hell no they are using some crappy £10 free view box connected via SCART. When you ask them why ? "I dont like the TV remote, I like the small one " :shock: 4K TV's are coming down in price yes, however there is next to nothing to watch on them. If you really want the best experience then its £20 a film for '4K Ultra HD Blu-ray's' then £500+ for a good player :shock: :shock:
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:40 pm

Do broadcasts even do 1080p yet? I know a few years ago it wasn't, it was either 720p or 1080i, and massively compressed, so looked worse than an SD broadcast. I'm not sure it that's improved as my box is only SD, as the High Def one has a noisy drive, so I've stuck with the quiet one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Freeview HD through my Youview box looks pretty good...
Going Solo...................

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 pm

The main difference I've noticed, apart from a slightly crisper image is that the sound always seems quieter! Any idea why that would be?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:55 pm

markopoloman wrote:The main difference I've noticed, apart from a slightly crisper image is that the sound always seems quieter! Any idea why that would be?
HD audio has a better dynamic range (difference between the quietest and loudest sound) due to it being a Dolby 5.1 bitstream soundtrack. Going through a decent audio system or soundbar you will get the benefits of this better audio track. But through normal TV speakers it just comes across as quieter for quite a lot of models of TV.

SD audio uses PCM audio and this tends to be played back with a maximum dynamic range always on. Which explains why it always appears louder than HD audio as the difference between the quietest and loudest sound is much smaller.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:44 am

There's plenty of 4K content out there if you're prepared to pay for it. Streaming services have been supporting it since 2014, when Netflix put up their first UHD offerings, and pretty much everyone else has followed suit; it even works on Australia's tin-can internet.

So far as broadcast 4K goes, Sky and BT are now doing it in the UK as a premium service. I doubt it'll be coming to Freeview any time soon though. They'd have to have a massive cull of channels - not that that'd necessarily be a bad thing given the amount of unwatchable crud - to free up the necessary bandwidth, or somehow convince Ofcom to allocate them an extra chunk of the spectrum.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:03 am

Matt_B wrote:There's plenty of 4K content out there if you're prepared to pay for it. Streaming services have been supporting it since 2014, when Netflix put up their first UHD offerings, and pretty much everyone else has followed suit; it even works on Australia's tin-can internet.
Is it any good though? Even the standard HD streams can be awful. Guardians of the Galaxy stands out for me. I was expecting a CGI fest, so I paid the extra to rent the HD version. May as well have not bothered, as the compression was so heavy handed it was like watching a bad SD freeview channel at times, with blocky artefacts all over the place. The theoretical HD resolution was wasted on the end result as it was over compressed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:There's plenty of 4K content out there if you're prepared to pay for it. Streaming services have been supporting it since 2014, when Netflix put up their first UHD offerings, and pretty much everyone else has followed suit; it even works on Australia's tin-can internet.
Is it any good though? Even the standard HD streams can be awful. Guardians of the Galaxy stands out for me. I was expecting a CGI fest, so I paid the extra to rent the HD version. May as well have not bothered, as the compression was so heavy handed it was like watching a bad SD freeview channel at times, with blocky artefacts all over the place. The theoretical HD resolution was wasted on the end result as it was over compressed.
My experience is that it's great. It's not quite 4K Blu Ray quality, as that benefits from significantly higher peak data rates, but it should be comfortably better than watching a 1080i broadcast or an upscaled DVD.

If you're getting compression artefacts, it's most likely that there's insufficient bandwidth and it's falling back to a lower quality to compensate. Netflix recommend a minimum 25 Mbps connection for 4K and I'm running a 100 MBps one. The extra 300ms latency I get from being in Australia doesn't seem to matter though, and I suspect they cache content locally.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:34 pm

Say what you like about 4K but now i've experienced it, i'd never go back. It looks absolutely fantastic on my tv and with a 4k bluray player that upscales normal blu rays to near enough 4k, Netflix, Amazon Prime and other tv apps that allow access to 4k content, there's plenty of choice out there if you want it.

I don't understand why anyone would accept an adequate picture when you can have the best...other than cost, of course.

This riles me for some reason. Take my wife (please), for example. She gets up, puts the Tivo onto ITV (SD) and simply doesn't 'get' that she's watching a shitty picture. I walk in, promptly turn it to ITV (HD) and she wonders why i do this. I have paid good money to have the capability to see the channel more clearly.....WHY WOULDN'T I PICK IT?????? :evil:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:12 pm

nokgod wrote:Say what you like about 4K but now i've experienced it, i'd never go back. It looks absolutely fantastic on my tv and with a 4k bluray player that upscales normal blu rays to near enough 4k, Netflix, Amazon Prime and other tv apps that allow access to 4k content, there's plenty of choice out there if you want it.

I don't understand why anyone would accept an adequate picture when you can have the best...other than cost, of course.

This riles me for some reason. Take my wife (please), for example. She gets up, puts the Tivo onto ITV (SD) and simply doesn't 'get' that she's watching a shitty picture. I walk in, promptly turn it to ITV (HD) and she wonders why i do this. I have paid good money to have the capability to see the channel more clearly.....WHY WOULDN'T I PICK IT?????? :evil:
Heh, at least my OH knows and watches and records the HD channels on sky. Though at my mothers on freeview she even ignoires the prompt telling her she could watch things in HD.

4k seems pointles at the moment but at least it will bring down 4k panel prices and I can finally have better monitors on my computer for a reasonable cost soon! And TBH I do most of my viewing on the computer even though bluray is a pain on it compared to a actual device!

I do like the idea of 4K and it looks wonderful in the demos, but then the demos are made to show it off! A moody blurly cinematic production is not going to look any better. Though let's face it the HD channels downscaled to SD look a damn lot better than the SD channels actually look. But then I'd have to buy a new sky box or something.

I think the worst thing about the digital era is that quality is only as good as the ompanys let it. On analogue SD was much better than the SD we get now. Still the poeple who want SD seem not to care.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:48 pm

That's the thing. 4k isn't pointless...its vastly superior to SD and markedly better than HD...but its a luxury. Atm, if it doesn't interest you don't buy it and if it does...then fill yer boots :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:06 am

My wife is always doing this and it infuriates me.

I catch her watching EastEnders or a movie in standard def and promptly switch it over to HD and shes all
why did you do that you know I cant tell the difference

and I'm like
well that's why we have an HD TV and HD channels so we can actually watch them

and she's all
meh!

GGGRRRRrrrrrrrr :roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:17 am

When its confirmed that your mother in law has terminal cancer :cry:
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image