What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, the internet is full of people raging at the Steam client because they don't understand how it works
And that's the downside of PC gaming in a nutshell. If you're using a computer for business purposes or technical pursuits then yes, you should need to know how things work. Somebody who just wants to download a game, launch it and play it shouldn't have to understand why things are crashing or how the background architecture works. Games are entertainment and escapism - PC gaming sometimes seems to be the opposite unless you are already IT proficient, have a masochistic love for resolving software problems or just get lucky and never run into issues.
necronom wrote:This forum having its format messed up. It was fine a few days ago, then it was unavailable, now it's back, but the formatting is wrong. I've tried it one two different browsers and it's the same on both.
Haven't noticed anything like that myself but what is grinding my gears is being "Forbidden" from posting new threads :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:36 pm

All consoles are made the same

All PCs are not, so what might run perfectly on one machine might not run on another that has the same everything apart from one box not checked

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:44 pm

DPrinny wrote:All consoles are made the same

All PCs are not, so what might run perfectly on one machine might not run on another that has the same everything apart from one box not checked
That's why I much prefer consoles. Sure, you have to sacrifice a few features or superior graphics etc. (for powerful PC set-ups) but honestly, I can't be bothered sorting issues on PC's and don't have the patience for it. I'm pretty confident that I CAN fix problems because I have done so many, many times but when I stick a game on after work or in the evening, I want it to be as easy as putting the disc in and jumping straight in.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:04 pm

I would be a console gamer as it's got a lot going for it and I am not a latest specs snob.

However until a console is release with thats is bundled with only a keyboard and mouse as the primary input I feel I will be forced to play on a controller. This is only good for certain types of games. I like GTA. This cannot be played to any respectable level without a keyboard and mouse.

And I understand I could get a lot better in the controller useage, however I do not see why I should have to when a superior method already exists.

And yes I have tried! I often buy a console to get GTA early and then just get upset with the control method and wait for the pc release.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Carrot007 wrote:I would be a console gamer as it's got a lot going for it and I am not a latest specs snob.

However until a console is release with thats is bundled with only a keyboard and mouse as the primary input I feel I will be forced to play on a controller. This is only good for certain types of games. I like GTA. This cannot be played to any respectable level without a keyboard and mouse.

And I understand I could get a lot better in the controller useage, however I do not see why I should have to when a superior method already exists.

And yes I have tried! I often buy a console to get GTA early and then just get upset with the control method and wait for the pc release.
I really cannot imagine trying to play GTA V with a keyboard and mouse, idea fills me with dread to be honest!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Tons of games dont work on a keyboard

THEY JUST DONT FEEL RIGHT!!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:52 pm

DPrinny wrote:Tons of games dont work on a keyboard

So, use a controller. Most PC games support them these days and the ones that don't tend to be the ones where you'd be mad not to be playing it with a keyboard.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:34 am

Matt_B wrote:So, use a controller. Most PC games support them these days and the ones that don't tend to be the ones where you'd be mad not to be playing it with a keyboard.
Easier said that done with some games. Most new games have instant 360 support but for older games it can be a lot more tricky. In the case of GTA (GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas), the only controller that works for me is the Saitek P3200. A generic PS2 style gamepad will do the trick for most XP era games but there are some games where I've tried five or six controllers to no avail (and yes they're games where one would normally expect gamepad control).

This is why consoles are sometimes worth their weight in gold. Everything works out the box and you just play.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:14 am

English Invader wrote:
Matt_B wrote:So, use a controller. Most PC games support them these days and the ones that don't tend to be the ones where you'd be mad not to be playing it with a keyboard.
Easier said that done with some games. Most new games have instant 360 support but for older games it can be a lot more tricky. In the case of GTA (GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas), the only controller that works for me is the Saitek P3200. A generic PS2 style gamepad will do the trick for most XP era games but there are some games where I've tried five or six controllers to no avail (and yes they're games where one would normally expect gamepad control).

This is why consoles are sometimes worth their weight in gold. Everything works out the box and you just play.
For compatibility, I find the Logitech F-series controllers (e.g. F710) tend to be your best bet. They support both DirectInput (1995-2005) and XInput (2005-now) with a flick of a switch, so you've got both eras when there was a standard for controller support covered.

Still, that's not going to help where the developers didn't bother to include it, or for games before 1995 where your only option would be to emulate an old school joystick plugged into a game port, so I can agree that your mileage will vary a lot with older games.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:17 am

Matt_B wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Tons of games dont work on a keyboard

So, use a controller. Most PC games support them these days and the ones that don't tend to be the ones where you'd be mad not to be playing it with a keyboard.
Well as more and more games are designed with controllers in mind it makes more sense than you think

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:02 am

English Invader wrote: This is why consoles are sometimes worth their weight in gold. Everything works out the box and you just play.
Well, up until the point when you now have to install the game to the HDD, then wait for the inevitable patches..... :roll:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 am

shinymcshine wrote:
English Invader wrote: This is why consoles are sometimes worth their weight in gold. Everything works out the box and you just play.
Well, up until the point when you now have to install the game to the HDD, then wait for the inevitable patches..... :roll:
I have an Xbox one and while the initial install and possible patch is annoying for a new game, once its done I have had very little in the way of updates for gmes TBH.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 am

PS4 isn't too bad either. I'm strongly against the very concept of instant patches and bug fixes being an acceptable way of doing things but they do all seem to download and install quite quickly on the PS4 (even with my stone age broadband spec).

PS3 on the other hand was absolute hell.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:15 am

Megamixer wrote:PS3 on the other hand was absolute hell.
I've mentioned it before, but just try installing all the updates for GT6. :cry:

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 am

The Laird wrote:I really cannot imagine trying to play GTA V with a keyboard and mouse, idea fills me with dread to be honest!
As does the thought on playing it on a controller to me.

I guess it's what you are used to.

But precice aiming is not possible with a controller.

The way it goes people say GTA V on a controller is easy mode. Except for me, because I can't play such games with a controller!

Then again back in the day I swapped my megadrive for an amiga so keyboard and mouse became the controller of choice.

Got back into consoles with the ps1 but then went PC.

More recently owned most consoles form the dreamcast to the 360/ps3 but and 3d game with proper controls and precision shooting is just so much easier for me on a keyboard/mouse. And since thats the way most games have gone I havnt'e bought any newer console.