What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thevulture

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by thevulture » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:What's the thumbup thing? That's a new term to me.
:? Heard it`s: Someone who ask`s for a Thumbs Up on thier YouTube Comments page-Not a big youtube person, so not sure IF this is correct def.of phrase.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:50 pm

thevulture wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:What's the thumbup thing? That's a new term to me.
:? Heard it`s: Someone who ask`s for a Thumbs Up on thier YouTube Comments page-Not a big youtube person, so not sure IF this is correct def.of phrase.
It's just a positive or negative rating on Youtube comments I think. Say somebody doesn't like a comment, they can give it a 'thumb down' and it tallies them all up on each comment.

In fact, all youtube comments ever are the worst things invented. Some of the most horrible, racist and downright disgusting comments I've ever seen on the internet have been on youtube.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:36 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Arsene Wenger.
That hurts - the most successful man in the history of Arsenal.

I will have to retort with the two most successful men in the history of Spurs.....

.....Chas and Dave
:lol:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Oh, sorry you're right, he doesn't annoy me now. Thanks for putting me straight bub. :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:55 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Oh, sorry you're right, he doesn't annoy me now. Thanks for putting me straight bub. :lol:
:lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkt8E2Ul-Xw
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:00 pm

hits the 80's forgot? yeh with good reason! :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:15 pm

jdanddiet wrote:hits the 80's forgot? yeh with good reason! :lol:
To be fair, probably their best song!

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:23 pm

will2097 wrote:
Ferret Oxide wrote:
will2097 wrote: - People with degrees in History.
Why?
Because it's a pointless waste of tax payers money. I appreciate there is a need for historians, preserving history is important, but anyone with only a degree is history is clearly only going to Uni 'for the experience' with no intention whatsoever of getting a job afterwards, and they always end up civil servants. Failed Physicists end up in I.T, failed historians end up in the civil service. If you genuinely think history is important enough to warrant a qualification, and people are passionate about it, it should be a PhD or nothing. They should limit the number of people studying subjects like History. Religious Education is another, English Lit is another... They are degrees made exclusively for pretentious middle class twits who want to spend three years drunk, knobbing everything in sight with no intention or vision of getting a job at the end of it.

There are plenty of kids who now can't afford to go to Uni who want to do vocational degree's and can't...

Thats why.

Getting a PhD is insanely expensive, though. I was at a London Uni for 3 years and racked up an incredible amount of debt despite working every available hour. Another two years with higher fees and lower loans would have crippled me, so I've put it off and hope to study part time in the future.

Like Ralph, I have a degree that isn't 'pure' history. Also like him, I am not in the career I had envisioned. To be fair, though, the main benefit I get from my qualification is that it has taught me analytical skills far more advanced than what I could develop at school. Since my job is essentially trouble-shooting, and usually with strict time limits, I find this invaluable. That I happened to gain knowledge of history and contemporary politics at the same time is a bit of a bonus.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Rinoa wrote:Dole dossers, illegal immigrants and benefit fraudsters.
Theft, vandalism and thuggery.
Racism.
People who think flying our own country's flag (along with other traditions such as Christmas) is offensive/racist.
Chavs.
War and religion.
The Government.
Inheritance tax.
"Human Rights".
Ignorant smokers.
Idiot drivers.
Idiot cyclists.
The NHS when they complain they don't have money to fund such and such treatments, medical instruments, cures, etc and then go on to waste millions of pounds on stupid, pointless pieces of artwork.
People who complain about their life/work all the bleeding time but do nothing to change it.
Text Speak.
Dance, RnB and rap music.
Companies with really bad customer service.
Strikes.
Royal Mail.
Queue jumpers.
"Performance Management".
Litter, especially cigarette butts.
Owners taking their dogs for a walk and not cleaning up after them.
The goverment moaning about dog mess and then not cleaning up after their own Police horses. Ughhh.

I'm sure there's a lot more. I get annoyed quite easily :P
Well, f*ck me with a banana. Looking at that one, it saves me listing mine. I'll just nick yours :wink:

There's more for me, though (deep breath):

Viruses/Trojans/Malware/Spyware - What's the f*cking point?
Go Compare - Go f*ck off, you zig-zagged moustached git!
BMW Drivers - Why decide to change lane when you're RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR CAR, YOU T0SSER??
Soap operas - I think SirClive summed it up quite rightly. And, apparently, they are supposed to be a depiction of real life. Really? I'd like to know where.
Big Brother - At least it's finished now, and will never have to read about someone having a poo in the toilet ever again! Still, it's a stain on the ar$e that is TV, and Reality telly will never go away (unfortunately!). Thanks, CH4, you've killed TV.
Chavs - Who spawns these people? Surely Kerry Katona must have had a cork installed by now???
People who think that because the speed limit is 40, it's ok to drive ten to twenty miles an hour above that limit - It's a limit for a reason, you d1ckhead!
Chav women - Not really women, just ugly men with breasts (who drink. And smoke. And say 'Innit?' in a gruff man-voice)
People who walk right in front of you, making you nearly trip over. C*NT!!!
People who incessantly stare at you for no reason - Take a bloody picture, you nob!
Shill bidders - If you wanted something to sell for a set amount, DO A BUY IT NOW!
Sellers on ebay who claim that mass produced games like Tomb Raider & Gran Turismo are MEGA RARE, and that we should L@@K :roll: Losers.
Jo Brand
People who think they're funny. But aren't.
Max Clifford
Jordan and his bride, Alex Reid.
Those celebrity rags - Why do people want to read about Paris Hilton buying a Diamond-encrusted bog seat?
Spoilt American brats - get them to do a proper job for a month, and see how WE have to live on our wages a month.
Spoilt English brats - ditto
Modern Gore Movies - I don't need entrails to scare me, thank you (I'm looking at you, SAW. You're the bastard that caused all this!)
Crap Comedy movies - see people who think they're funny. But aren't.
Will Ferrell
Ricky Gervais - C*nt of the highest order, and about as funny as having the sh1ts.
The amount of rubbish straight-to-dvd movies there seems to be.
The amount of rubbish rip-off movies there are (Transformers = TransMORPHERS. For the love of God, why???)
People who try and push their views on everyone else, and moan when they don't agree.
People who seem to use the street as a toilet :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Spiders - Just because you have eight legs, doesn't give you the right to come into my house!
Moths - resurrected Kamikaze Japanese pilots
Daddy Long Legs - see Moths
Flies - GAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:43 am

:cry: Big Brother? May not be put to bed.Rumours persist Channel 5 is buying the abomination. Flies? Need `em on my trousers, don`t want them in my house, in fact Vermin of all type grind my gears. Soaps:Some producer of 1 said that people enjoy watching other people having a worse time in a pretend life/Situation, as it takes thier mind of issues going on in thier own.What?So, if your going through a bad patch, what better way to forget it than watch mind numbingly depressing T.V? (Mind you, East Enders, Aurthur Fowler going mad was some of the most brilliant T.V i`d ever see the BBC produce.)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:33 am

Ferret Oxide wrote: Getting a PhD is insanely expensive, though. I was at a London Uni for 3 years and racked up an incredible amount of debt despite working every available hour. Another two years with higher fees and lower loans would have crippled me, so I've put it off and hope to study part time in the future.

Like Ralph, I have a degree that isn't 'pure' history. Also like him, I am not in the career I had envisioned. To be fair, though, the main benefit I get from my qualification is that it has taught me analytical skills far more advanced than what I could develop at school. Since my job is essentially trouble-shooting, and usually with strict time limits, I find this invaluable. That I happened to gain knowledge of history and contemporary politics at the same time is a bit of a bonus.

That's my point. It would not be so insanely expensive if Universities were not cluttered up with people who think going to university is right, not a priviledge. In all fainess there were people like that on Computer Science degree's but they quickly dropped out when they realised it was a full time course not one-lecture-a-week wonder.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:49 am

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote: ... snip
And snip only because this forum doesn't seem to work well with long posts that scroll. (and I want to back track a bit from my original overly aggressive stance!)

We seem to half agree. Universities are cluttered up with people who are wasting there own and everyone else's time. My firm belief however, is that industry and Universities should work closer together. There is no point in having (for example) 10,000 historians being churned out and no jobs for them, and 250 electronic engineers and massive shortages.

And while I can see that you did receive some skills from studying history, I believe the country as a whole would have benefited if you had chosen a more sell-able subject, where you could have also gotten those same skills. I do believe that it's almost a waste then, that intelligent people (like yourself) squander their intelligence on a subject that is, compared to other subjects, so utterly pointless.

Don't get me wrong, I admire anyone with interests. And if you are interested in the history of sports then that is fantastic. It really is. But plenty of people have interests and I don't see why the country has to pay for them, at the expensive of micro-biologists, physicists, optical electronic engineers, accountants, etc.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:37 am

will2097 wrote:I believe the country as a whole would have benefited if you had chosen a more sell-able subject, where you could have also gotten those same skills. I do believe that it's almost a waste then, that intelligent people (like yourself) squander their intelligence on a subject that is, compared to other subjects, so utterly pointless.
Iam only going to reply to this bit first as am trying not to laugh uncontrollably at this statement. Sorry.

Why?

Less than 10 years after finishing University, Iife as I know it changed forever. Its likely Ill never work again in any meaningful capacity because of the destruction of my back ( 6 discs utterly wrecked lower spine 'disintergrating' into my hip, that kind of thing) nothing can be done about it so likely on DLA/Incapacity for the rest of forever.

Wouldnt have mattered if Id studied Media and TV production or Pacific Studies or whatever Id still be on the 'scrap heap' now.

As for the rest,
will2097 wrote: Universities are cluttered up with people who are wasting there own and everyone else's time. My firm belief however, is that industry and Universities should work closer together. There is no point in having (for example) 10,000 historians being churned out and no jobs for them, and 250 electronic engineers and massive shortages.
The thing is, they arent. Traditional subjects (such as History) are rapidly falling by the way side as the amount of courses and what they can offer is dependent on a number of factors including numbers applying to do a particular subject. Fewer students equals lower budget to run the course. When it ceases to be cost effective the course will be dropped.

What your suggesting regarding more vocational degrees and subscribing to areas where there are shortages is great in theory but its not very good in practice. Under the last government, this idea was to become standard policy,however it doesnt work.

University takes on average 3 years to complete (4 in Scotland and where there are work placements) Pushing people into areas where there are shortages now, doesnt mean that there will still be shortages in those areas in 3 or 4 years time due to factors such as worker migration. What tends to happen is that after those 3 or 4 years have passed is that the job market for that subject will be swamped with applications. Instead of being a shortage you will end up with young people who are skilled in one profession, but cant get into said profession and as a result have nothing to fall back on.

They cant do another degree unless they are very rich due to the Equal or Lower Qualifications trap brought in 2008(iirc) so its Post Grad or do something else like 'office jockey' until there is the opportunity presents itself ( if at all). During that time whatever they have learned in their vocational degree becomes outdated and no longer relavent ( Social Work is a great example of this) and as a result through no fault of their own they are effectively being excluded from what they want to do with no chance of rectifying it.

Thus your 10,000 historians is more likely to apply to areas requiring degrees now which are oversubscribed, I would seriously advise students looking to do subjects which are massively popular to do a 'joint'/major/minor degree with something else or do something less popular as a single. As I argued before and reaffirmed (re numbers at uni) by the article linked above there are that many people doing degrees that their value has been sullied to the point where they are almost useless. If it continues then students will have no option but to stay on and do post grads or something to get ahead.

The issue with all this is cost. I'm still carrying about 10k Student loan debts and I was in the last year of Grant system before went all loans in the late 1990's. I wont have to repay those student loans unless Iam earning nearly 2k per month as is 85 percent of the national average salary ( god bless footballers!) That's lucky ( its likely I wont repay them ever as will be deferred because of DLA/Incapacity) as those during the loan system have to pay them back over 10k I think, which eats into their wages and if not earning very much will leave them in the poverty trap artificially,

With regards to Industry and Education working together. It already is with many universities having links with particular firms or industries if you scratch the surface. This is now spreading to academies. Companies such as Carphone Warehouse are now running schools as a private enterprise academy, working those students to become the best as per company ethos but also providing a ready made work force. So Russia, So Stalin

Its no wonder that the young today are so disillusioned with everything and this is only a very brief skim of the youth issues and is top end youth issues at that. Effectively, they are being hearded into careers that may not have that need in a few years time ( see Law during the mid 1990s for another example. Such was the number of students doing Law that firms were actively discounting students from certain universities degrees because there was higher quality in numbers elsewhere, rendering some peoples study and subesquent honours completely and utterly useless).

will2097 wrote: Don't get me wrong, I admire anyone with interests. And if you are interested in the history of sports then that is fantastic. It really is. But plenty of people have interests and I don't see why the country has to pay for them, at the expensive of micro-biologists, physicists, optical electronic engineers, accountants, etc.
Those careers you have listed all require various aptitudes.(Physicists, Engineers, Accountants need strong maths for example).

What you are suggesting is that those without those aptitudes are actively excluded from being able to better themselves through no fault of their own and that is counter productive surely? Cant do maths, your no good to society so we wont help you? Nice bit of discrimination and creating an us and them meritocracy

With regards to finance University budgets are continually being squeezed hence the need for tuition fees, top up fees, Student Loans and a high number of international students who pay through the nose for their educations, and so on.

Without scrapping the whole lot and starting again, there is very little that can be done to change this. Various governments tinkering with the education system has left a complete mess. Much like the NHS it needs to be stripped away and completely rebullt. It will never happen and as a result people will muddle through.

People will always hate students and take things further than just getting annoyed or putting their grievances on an internet forum, because in certain circles it appears as freeloading and a complete waste. Despite what Ive just advocated above there is so much more to university than just the subject you study and there are many other transferable skills that can be gained that wouldnt necessarily be gained by going straight into work ( Except that wont work either as young people are the highest proportion of unemployed, with a raise in retirement age, people working longer and so forth, youth unemployment is likely to be come an increasing problem rather than go away). Either way its a classic Catch-22

Rather than castigate them for being there as more and more are supposedly going there despite the obvious pitfalls ( something the last government actively encouraged by overloading the whole system. They wanted 50 per cent to go to uni) Use whatever skills they gain irrespective of their subject to enhance business and industry. ( one defence companies HR department I know wouldnt take on 1st class degrees as they wanted people who had lived a little and university and life experience as well as the additional benefits higher education had brought).

Sorry if this is all 'bitty' Im tired and in considerable pain. What I will ask is how you formed those views and why you think it is so important that people arent carried by the state?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 am

JetSetWilly wrote:Soap operas - I think SirClive summed it up quite rightly. And, apparently, they are supposed to be a depiction of real life. Really? I'd like to know where.
People who incessantly stare at you for no reason - Take a bloody picture, you nob!
Modern Gore Movies - I don't need entrails to scare me, thank you (I'm looking at you, SAW. You're the bastard that caused all this!)
Ricky Gervais - C*nt of the highest order, and about as funny as having the sh1ts.
Spiders - Just because you have eight legs, doesn't give you the right to come into my house!
Flies - GAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!
I like corrie. of course it's not realistic - but it's fun.

people stare at you jsw cos you are so damn attractive. not all of us have this problem :D

the original saw is a brilliant thriller

sometimes i feel like i;m the only person in ther world who likes gervais; office, extras, standup, i love them all, except his movies but only because he's neutered by hollywood in them.

errrm spiders eat flies, surely a reason to like them!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:02 am

People who say "I cant work" but who post well thought out arguments on internet forums, thus disproving their initial statements.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.