What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Shinobi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:22 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:People who look at the floor rather than where there going (normally tend to be 50ish)
People who stand in a lift laughing to themselves, and act like they've never been in a lift

Everybody on the New York Times forum
I was expecting a certain Klown to make an appearance in your list Shinobi :lol:

Actually, a huge list of annoyances might be an interesting idea for a blog post...just to see how long I can make it :)
Me and Krusty always got along, blasphemous how he never liked Resident Evil 4 though.. Even though he ruined 'Stephen Kings It' for me.. Every time I see Pennywise I think of Krusty :?

There was only two people who really annoyed me.. One who derailed every thread by bringing it around to his left wing politics, and Retro Gamers very own Del Trotter.. He looked about 12 from his photo and kept sending me pms which such gems like "I refused to be educated as he was doing the forum a favour by selling them overpriced games"
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh okay, since we're doing this, I'll do it too. But I warn, this list will be long.

- People who form opinions based on whateveryone else thinks/says, without applying one ounce of their own logic or opinion.
- Cats.
- Skoda RS/VW Passat/BMW 1 drivers.
- ITV News. The most pointless idiotic news on TV.
- Anti Nuclear protesters.
- Coronation Street.
- Wind Farms.
- Rupert Murdoch.
- Adverts for Car Insurance. Predominately 'Confused.com' Which is car insurance for idiots, and then uses those idiots to make the adverts.
- Militant Nintendo Fans. (Which is all of them)
- Apple computers. (£600+ corporate handbags)
- Football / Football Teams
- PETA (That stupid animal rights group)
- Films obviously made for women.
- Women who don't wear makeup
- Those Red or Dead reading/driving glasses everyone wears.
- Twinned Toned hair women.
- People who can't use roundabouts/realise that the national speed limit on single carriage ways is 60Mph.
- Big Brother winners. (That ugly blond moron this year is a prime example)
- People who compromise everything, have no opinions, are boring, try to see both sides of any argument and then think they are superior. They f**king are not.
- Vegetarians.
- People who dress things up pretentiously to make themselves sound clever when they really mean "I Think this is crap".
- People with degrees in History.
- People who can't park a car but hold a license.
- Tescos.
- David Beckham and his stupid wife.

... there must be more I can't of them just now...

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:
nokgod wrote:ahh....didn't know that.

So, when they call i just tell them to delete my number from their database and never call me again, then?

I can do that :D
Theoretically Yes thats how it works but you have to request it specifically and make sure that your request is registered.

If it doesnt happen and you have done the above there are iirc remits of the DPA you can use to get it sorted because they are mishandling your data following a specific action request.

Make sure they are not subsiduaries of other companies or will only be that specific company and also request that your details are not passed on to other companies by them.

Data lists are targetted lists of names and addresses spread by companies with glorious names such as consodata who will gather information from that useful 3rd party box that everyone doesnt tick and sell them on to who ever requires them Couple of thousand names and addresses and phone numbers was about 30k quite recently.. Offset that with potential clients etc its worth it.

delve around the net and there is lots on this kicking about. Its quite easy to sort, but only if you know how as it were
8) Thanks Ralph. Going to stop the buggers if it kills me. I hate having my shower interrupted..... :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:37 pm

I've just remembered two other main ones:

Steve Wright
Heather Mills
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Dogs. Filthy fuck1ng dogs. Damp smelling, ball licking, moulting dogs. Hate dogs.

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:49 pm

sscott wrote:Dogs. Filthy fuck1ng dogs. Damp smelling, ball licking, moulting dogs. Hate dogs.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:54 pm

will2097 wrote: - People with degrees in History.
Why?

clarance

Post by clarance » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:00 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Why?
Cuz they know stuff...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:03 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:29 pm

Must be the happy hour then? :lol:

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 pm

The american language ,e.g how they pronounce words wrongly !

Solder as sodder
Any word with a un in it is pronounced as oo ,tune as toon ,tuna as toona
Herb as erb (that, i believe, is from the french language and the english added the h ,but the americans left the h off)

4od .They list a lot of programmes,but when you go to make your viewing choice ,there's a big fat "not available to watch on 4od" beside it! So why list the programmes that aren't available to watch ? Buffoons!

People who say aksed ,instead of asked.
Everything that is now an "experience". The internet "experience" ,macdonalds "experience" ,how was your punch in the face "experience".Just stop it,please.

Fortune tellers.Bam ,ha,bet you didn't see that fist in your face coming.

People who have seen ghosties .Strange how they never see any ghosts of cavemen or dinosaurs and wot not ? Do they hang around in some special secret place ? Sorry ,but you have to be this old to come in here,otherwise you have to hang about near the living.

Super market fruit and vegetables which comes in 36 layers of packaging.What happened to just putting them into a paper bag ,something which would rot down naturally .

Super market own label brands, which cost more than the labeled products .

Homemade youtube videos.
Where the thing they are trying to show you can't be seen,because they are too dumb to switch on a light ,opting for total darkness instead .

Rechargeable batteries
Why can't you get a 1.5 volt version ?

Virgin media

Specifically their recent customer survey leaflet i received and how they listen to their customers.That's a lie from the start.Here's why.

I was sick of them constantly phoning my mobile and even other members of my household's phones (as the mobile network has auto opted in your number to their online number directory,instead of auto opt out)to try and sell me extra services.I never answered any of these calls and if my family answered ,they had been told to say i was deaf and so i have no need for their phone line or talk plans.

Did they listen,or did i switch number and they kept sending more junk mail about their telephone line rental and mobile phone packages.
Listen ,my asss.
Last edited by do_sucol on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 pm

necronom wrote:
The Master wrote:
necronom wrote:Lots of things, but at the minute the most annoying thing is not winning an eBay auction for a BBC Model B :(
Was it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0471134621

Don't worry, it was never worth that...
Yes. That exact one. I'd planned to drive up there to pick it up with the two disk drives. I though that saving the postage would give me a good shot at winning it.

Anyway, here is my updated "Things I hate.txt" file :D

Microsoft, and everything they do, make, have made, stand for, and think of.
Intel.
ASUS - they don't honour their pretend 3 year warranty, so I'd stay away from them if I were you.
Adverts on TV (my mute button is my friend).
Spiders.
Spam (e-mails, not spiced ham).
Shopping (unless it's for things that use electricity, or books).
Mobile phones (though a few years ago my parents bought me one. At least I have some nice C64 ringtones on it - Delta, Thing on a Spring & Comic Bakery).
Most ringtones, but especially the default Nokia one.
DRM (if I buy a CD, I want to be able to listen to it wherever I want. I have to download an illegal copy to do that).
Not being able to skip things on DVDs (It's almost worth getting a copy of a film so I don't have to watch the crap I can't skip before getting to the menu screen of some discs).
Getting up at 07:20 to go to work.
Traffic Wardens.
The people who ruin the traffic by making some roads only for busses and others one-way - It causes lots of congestion. Can't you see that?!!!
Rush hour (the traffic situation, not the film or song).
The word "gotten" (worryingly, I've seen a few English people use it).
People calling a liquid (i.e. Petrol) "Gas".
People calling Autumn, "Fall".
People saying "off of", instead of "off".
Actually, Americans spelling everything wrong, and corrupting OUR language.
Some TV channels not showing some programs in episode order (WHY? It makes no sense to do this! Luckily, this seems to be much better these days.)
On-screen graphics over TV shows (end credits corrupted, channel logos, adverts during shows etc).
Mushrooms.
Mario (the Nintendo idiot).
The word "Sci-Fi". It's called Science Fiction or SF, if you must. Sci-Fi sounds derogatory.
Differences with extras on DVDs in different regions.
Being called a "Resource" at work. I take it as an insult. I'm not a resource I'm a person!!
Michael Schumacher.
People typing "Alot" instead of "A lot"
People who don't make any effort to type properly on the internet (punctuation exists for a reason).
People calling things by another name, when there's been a well established name for it for decades (e.g. People who watch birds are called Bird Watchers, The personnel Department is called just that, Teesside Airport is in Teesside not Durham, IT is called IT, not ITC (or is it ICT, or possibly TCI. TIC?)
Writable CDs and DVDs that don't work a year after writing to them.
Thieves.
People who write viruses/Malware.
Smoking.
Tracksuits.
Soap operas.
Save games being copy protected.
The way that Microsoft has created a bleak and desolate future in the computing world.
The '80s ending.
The crap music that gets played on stations like radio 1.
The word "Sci-Fi". It's called Science Fiction or SF, if you must. Sci-Fi sounds derogatory.

Didn't they rename the sci fi channel to sy fy or sfy ,which is just ?????????? in every known way of ?
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:54 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:
Why?
Because it's a pointless waste of tax payers money. I appreciate there is a need for historians, preserving history is important, but anyone with only a degree is history is clearly only going to Uni 'for the experience' with no intention whatsoever of getting a job afterwards, and they always end up civil servants. Failed Physicists end up in I.T, failed historians end up in the civil service. If you genuinely think history is important enough to warrant a qualification, and people are passionate about it, it should be a PhD or nothing. They should limit the number of people studying subjects like History. Religious Education is another, English Lit is another... They are degrees made exclusively for pretentious middle class twits who want to spend three years drunk, knobbing everything in sight with no intention or vision of getting a job at the end of it.

There are plenty of kids who now can't afford to go to Uni who want to do vocational degree's and can't...

Thats why.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 am

do_sucol wrote:Didn't they rename the sci fi channel to sy fy or sfy ,which is just ?????????? in every known way of ?
I like to call that channel 'sifi' as in syphillis now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 am

People who don't understand why history is important.
People who don't understand that there is more to life than football.
People who don't understand why cats are popular pets.
People with Apple products and never ferking shut up about them.