What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

QuantumCrayons

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 am

Tried a different browser? Is it a nightly build of FF or a stable? Are you running AVG as your anti-virus?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:59 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:Tried a different browser? Is it a nightly build of FF or a stable? Are you running AVG as your anti-virus?
I am using AVG yes. That's a bit of a resource hog on it's own I guess but I stick with it because since using my Firefox/AVG/ZoneAlarm set-up, I've had no viruses or security risks. Something else could probably do the same job while using less resources but I tend to keep stuff until it properly lets me down!

I don't know what a nightly build of Fire Fox is either :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 am

Megamixer wrote: I am using AVG yes. That's a bit of a resource hog on it's own I guess but I stick with it because since using my Firefox/AVG/ZoneAlarm set-up, I've had no viruses or security risks. Something else could probably do the same job while using less resources but I tend to keep stuff until it properly lets me down!

I don't know what a nightly build of Fire Fox is either :oops:
On my old machine, running AVG caused FF to hate everything and lock up spontaneously, I found. Switching to Avast! fixed this problem.
A nightly build of FF is like a beta build, uploaded to the FF website every night :)

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:42 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Absurd online-only 'achievements'.

For instance, in Gears Of War 3....I don't so much mind achievements for getting a certain number of kills online and all that, obut how exactly is simply hosting a private match with 4 friends meant to be an 'achievement'? And then how exactly is it an 'achievement' at all when everybody in the group just has a quick go hosting and quits straight back out the game as soon as the achievement unlocks? Grrrrr.

Oh, and game completeion achievements that don't stack. i finished Shadows Of The Damned on Normal, but if I wanted the 'Easy' completion achievement, I've actually got to play through the entire game again on Easy? Well, that can eff right off. :evil:
I'll second that but add PSP games with 'medals' to be earned for multiplayer, especially those that have no info structure at all.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Outlook 2010 (and anything that is based on the Windows 7 style).

Exporting your mailbox

Outlook 2003
File | Import and Export

Makes perfect sense.

Outlook 2010
File | Open | Import

Err, sorry? What? To save an export file I go to OPEN IMPORT?

Edit an email

Outlook 2003
Open email. Choose Edit Message from the Edit menu

Obvious.

Outlook 2010

Open email. Go to the Move section ( :lol: ) choose actions, then Edit Message.

I know Microsoft are evil, but this is beyond a joke. It's like someone bet them to put them in the most inappropriate places and they did.

Trying to find the colour selection (16/32 bit) in Win 7 is also a joke. It used to be so easy (right-click desktop, Properties, Settings). I can't even remember the ridiculous way I found it for someone a few weeks ago.

I think I'll be the last person at work to get a new PC, as I'm not downgrading to that crap.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:16 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Megamixer wrote: I am using AVG yes. That's a bit of a resource hog on it's own I guess but I stick with it because since using my Firefox/AVG/ZoneAlarm set-up, I've had no viruses or security risks. Something else could probably do the same job while using less resources but I tend to keep stuff until it properly lets me down!
On my old machine, running AVG caused FF to hate everything and lock up spontaneously, I found. Switching to Avast! fixed this problem.
I too used to use AVG and for some reason ended up switching to Avast! Can't remember why. Anyway, it seems to be doing a good job... good enough that I haven't been tempted to switch back.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Jackasses on public transport who think that for some god knows reason that their precious bag must have the window seat whilst they seat on the outer seat when the bus is rammed pack.

Jackasses who seem to think that because they like s*it music everybody else will and so really must listen along with them.

Jackasses like the wan*er on the bus this morning who did both. Really could have stabbed the c*nt.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:00 pm

dste wrote:Jackasses who seem to think that because they like s*it music everybody else will and so really must listen along with them.
Was it rap music? Whenever I hear someone playing loud music (usually from a car) it's always rap.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 am

AVG Free? Pfff.Would'nt wipe me arse with that.If ever anything ground my gears, as far as PC stuff went, it was that.

Useless creation, let through and failed to detect fake XP Virus, Keylogger etc etc.

Was installed on old mans laptop running Vista, slowed machine to a crawl, would'nt uninstal, luckily Panada i put on there to replace it, did manage to remove it.

Sure, it's free, but so's Smallpox.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 am

I've never had a problem with AVG free, it's a funny old world.
Splink!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 pm

markopoloman wrote:
No, they should all be called bollox.
But as they don't play in a 'band' surely they should just be called boys or men? They 'sing' in a group - bands play music sometimes with a singer.Bands often have to learn the skill to perform through hard work and practice - most 'boy groups' are feckwits who have little to no discernible talent.

Just get so peeved at the use of the word band in association with a sopping wet line up of pre-pubescent auto tuned nancy arsed cretins whose only awareness of instruments is the triangle they played in school music lessons. I could dump more talent after a curry.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

I call them Karaoke singers, the same with those Karaoke singing shows.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:44 pm

necronom wrote:
dste wrote:Jackasses who seem to think that because they like s*it music everybody else will and so really must listen along with them.
Was it rap music? Whenever I hear someone playing loud music (usually from a car) it's always rap.
Na, I don't like Rap but that would have been a hell of a lot better.

It's hard to describe. It was like if someone took the Mario or Sonic theme, added crappy keyboards on top, then completely techno sh*tted it up and looped it for twenty minutes.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 pm

dste wrote:It's hard to describe. It was like if someone took the Mario or Sonic theme, added crappy keyboards on top, then completely techno sh*tted it up and looped it for twenty minutes.
Still sounds better than rap, if you ask me.

EDIT: Yay! 1024 posts!
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:29 am

DigitalDuck wrote: Still sounds better than rap, if you ask me.
That's what I was thinking, and I'm not a fan of Mario or Sonic.