What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:27 am

GENIUS!
You've given me some great ideas - what about a copy of Attitude for an elderly military type?

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:58 am

In a similar vein to the annoying supermarket trolley users, I find a lot of mothers with their prams really frustrating. The ones who leave a pram in the middle of a small aisle with hundreds of bags hanging off the sides, taking up all the room. Or even worse - the ones with a double pram who take them into the smallest shops in town. Also, the ones who ram the back of your ankles/legs because they think they own the place and can't be bothered to say "excuse me" if they can't get passed easily. Some of these women are so rude and obnoxious its unbelievable at times. I rarely see people in wheelchairs or even men with prams anywhere near this bad. It always seems to be new mums.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:15 am

Now that i've got a kid its great being able to park in those parent and child spaces ! For years i never did that even if i just wanted to pop in for a minute to get something, same for disabled spaces, never

But now that i can park in these spaces its funny how many lazy runts park in these (and disabled space) when they shouldnt. They would be the first to moan if they were disabled and someone parked in one of their spaces

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Rinoa wrote:In a similar vein to the annoying supermarket trolley users, I find a lot of mothers with their prams really frustrating. The ones who leave a pram in the middle of a small aisle with hundreds of bags hanging off the sides, taking up all the room. Or even worse - the ones with a double pram who take them into the smallest shops in town. Also, the ones who ram the back of your ankles/legs because they think they own the place and can't be bothered to say "excuse me" if they can't get passed easily.
Yeah it's weird how some mothers use their prams as battering rams, isn't it? Then they get in their humongous four-wheel drives and think that their Baby On Board sign gives them the right to cut in on traffic without even indicating.

@Kaptain_Von, Oh man, can't wait to try that trick. I wonder if I could get away with slipping a huge cucumber and a tube of lube into someone's trolley.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:23 am

Pixiu wrote: Yeah it's weird how some mothers use their prams as battering rams, isn't it? Then they get in their humongous four-wheel drives and think that their Baby On Board sign gives them the right to cut in on traffic without even indicating.
Those signs p1ss me off. They imply that you should be extra careful around the vehicle because there's a baby on there but why should you be driving dangerously anyway? Do these signs mean that it's okay to get right up the back of cars that don't display them? Utterly pointless.
Last edited by Megamixer on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:53 am

^Yep those baby on board signs are terrible, my parents bought me one for a joke a while back, no way would i ever use them ! Just amusing in a way when some 4 x 4 goes past doing 100 and it has a 'baby on board' sticker.

Or you see people on the motorway flashing other road users to not hog the middle lane (granted fair enough) but theyre hypocritical as theyre doing about 100 mph, so its 'okay' to do 100 mph but the second someone hogs the lane or does something else wrong its okay for them to flash them. Pot kettle black !

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 pm

"Boy Bands" that actually consist of men who are over 35.

The likes of Westlife and Take That just milk it to bits.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 pm

My family...nothing going to change, so tad pointless posting on reflection.
Last edited by thevulture on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:29 pm

The recent trend of categorising puzzle/Tetris-style games as 'casual', which I can only assume is due to the rise of Bejeweled and such. Many puzzle games are no less casual than 'non-casual' games.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:47 pm

Combo-Breaker wrote:"Boy Bands" that actually consist of men who are over 35.

Yeah, just imagine how bad it must be to be a fan of a commercial property that has aged with its fans and keeps knocking out similarly themed products for those who want them ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:

Yeah, just imagine how bad it must be to be a fan of a commercial property that has aged with its fans and keeps knocking out similarly themed products for those who want them ;)
Boybands usually conists of, well, BOYS! :lol: :lol:

Man-Bands are what this lot should be called! :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Combo-Breaker wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

Boybands usually conists of, well, BOYS! :lol: :lol:

Man-Bands are what this lot should be called! :lol:
No, they should all be called bollox.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:52 am

Spiteful games...since half way through December ive been trying to pass one part in Professional mode on Resident evil 4 wii edition.
I fought my way through id say 95% of the game and im at the point now of throwing the game. I think back through the parts of the game that have cheesed me off for a few hours but ive managed to get past mainly with help from a rocket launcher-fighting the castleroom full of shielded enemies/archers /extra hard scythe carrying guys only for more to join after fighting these plus having ashley in the way...or with the horde of flying things- just for example...i could go on.

The part im stuck on is where you have to find 3parts to the wall puzzle through a desert like tomb, Krauzer pops up intermittintly and you have to qte and shoot him to get past, this happens twice, then a further battle with him
plus then you find the puzzle peace he his hiding... this in itself is a task and half bearing in mind pro mode is one hit and practically all your health is taken...when you pick up said piece he reappears for a final showdown along with a 2.30 countdown..... throughout the game a rocket launcher or magnum would despatch of him, not now. Its QTE galore or a kick move you cant avoid followed by a QTE. It really is a spiteful type of gameplay that is teeth grindingly frustrating. Up until now ive loved the challenge but this bit has worn me down since before xmas and ive tried daily...turning it off sends me back to my last save which us a while back so i have to fight back through all that to get to this part.

I know its a long winded way of saying qte overdose games but its also pro modes that are mainly one hit and die, nothing pro about that, you must just have extra patience than everyone else.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Absurd online-only 'achievements'.

For instance, in Gears Of War 3....I don't so much mind achievements for getting a certain number of kills online and all that, obut how exactly is simply hosting a private match with 4 friends meant to be an 'achievement'? And then how exactly is it an 'achievement' at all when everybody in the group just has a quick go hosting and quits straight back out the game as soon as the achievement unlocks? Grrrrr.

Oh, and game completeion achievements that don't stack. i finished Shadows Of The Damned on Normal, but if I wanted the 'Easy' completion achievement, I've actually got to play through the entire game again on Easy? Well, that can eff right off. :evil:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:14 am

The fact that Hotmail keeps crashing my PC. When I've had it open for a few minutes, I can see it refreshing itself like crazy in its tab before Firefox locks up completely. CPU useage goes up to 100% and it takes around 3 attempts to kill the internet via Task Manager before it goes away.

This could be a problem specific to my PC of course but it's strange how only Hotmail manages to cause this damage every time :evil:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.