What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

markopoloman

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:38 pm

How long has it been leaking? Turned out ours had been leaking for years!!!
They came out and assessed it - and decided we needed new Cheap MDF rubbish units, ceiling, plaster on Cheap MDF rubbish walls removed/replaced, floorboards checked and replaced as needed and other bits n bobs. They supplied a dehumidifier (really big one) that was left running for 3 weeks. They paid for our electric bill for a month :shock: - then when I complained that my wife (who was pregnant at the time) had to move out and stay 200 miles away with her mother, they offered me cash to get my own people in to do the work!! I said YES and saved a shed load, giving me an extra £1200 in the bank to buy a new fridge freezer, washing machine and dish washer :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Now that is a result and deserves a place in the nice touch thread! Mine has been leaking directly on to a double width ceiling joist, soaked it through and it quickly damaged a large patch of ceiling (about 800x400) and because it's in the corner of the room two walls have had their wallpaper damaged.
I reckon it's been leaking slowly for a long while tbh. The joist still drips but is drying out quite quickly, if that makes sense lol.

Eat your nans pants

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Family....

So this is how it goes, sister-in-law asks "do you have an old tv I could have for my bedroom" she has just spilt up from a guy and needs stuff etc. However what it really means is, I know you have some TV's stored away give me one NOW. If I did give her one I would most likely never see it again, even if it did get it back it would come back a state (marks, dents, scratches etc). The same thing happened with a cooker I let her "borrow" not only did she get it for nothing I delivered and installed the thing for her. What happened to the cooker I hear you ask, well left it was left in the flat she moved out of so she could move in with the guy she has now split from :( So no she is not getting to "borrow" a tv even tho I have some old CRTs in the loft... again faimly

Ok rant over
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Tell her the CRTs are no good for TV now as everything has moved to digital. She might fall for it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:02 pm

silvergunner wrote:My son is four and is petrified of dogs.
Bring him round ours to meet our two greyhounds, one will just want snuggles and the other won't even bother to get off the sofa. :D
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:02 pm

The Scottish referendum and the anti English tone of the whole affair. Was a staunch Unionist, but after seeing and hearing what's being said North of Border, Scotland can go it alone and take its racist views with them.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:13 pm

dste wrote:
silvergunner wrote:My son is four and is petrified of dogs.
Bring him round ours to meet our two greyhounds, one will just want snuggles and the other won't even bother to get off the sofa. :D
Yup. Our two would be exactly the same. :) Greyhounds are often used to help people overcome their fear of dogs because they're so dopey!
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:19 pm

my wife is petrified of dogs, my parents have a lab. used to be petrified of dogs myself till my parents got their dog, little thing was 2 months old when we got her, the first night sat on my knee, sniffed me a bit and fell asleep. still not keen on others dogs though

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Nemesis wrote:The Scottish referendum and the anti English tone of the whole affair. Was a staunch Unionist, but after seeing and hearing what's being said North of Border, Scotland can go it alone and take its racist views with them.
That is getting as bit wearing, and worrying. Just how many people will vote for FREEEEEDDDDOOOOOMMMM without any rational thought is scary, as if there's some anti Scots agenda down south. Because we all know Scots politicians will be as honest as the day is long and there's billions in the bank because we're drowning in oil.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:51 pm

The problem is, no matter the vote result, this whole episode will irrevocably change the relationship between the countries in the Union. However you look at it 40-50% of the Scottish population don't want to be part of the Union, resent the rest of us, and will never be happy whilst it exists.
If they vote Yes, we have years of financial, administrative and political turbulence and uncertainty ahead of us, which will enrich no one. But then, how do we deal with the damage to the relationship should they vote No.
Realistically, it could also be one of the last referendums for independence, ever. The oil will not last for ever, and it is the cornerstone of the Nationalist's argument. If they lose, in 30 years, there won't be enough left in the Oil pot to make a viable split sell-able to the undecided voters of the future.

All I can see is damage being wrought to our country. Nationalism is an ugly political tool, but a popular one for those inclined to Jingoism.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 am

40-50%.

Figures plucked from the air. We won't know numbers until after the result.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:21 am

Not really, the latest YouGov poll put's Yes votes at 51% (after "don't know" have been removed). Up until then, Poll results were in the 30-40% region in favour of a split.

Have you not been following this?

It's also highly patronising to believe that the Scots will just blindly follow a xenophobic agenda without fully considering the ramifications. Unfortunately, ignorant criticism such as yours is being used by Nationalists to garner support.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:48 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Nemesis wrote:The Scottish referendum and the anti English tone of the whole affair. Was a staunch Unionist, but after seeing and hearing what's being said North of Border, Scotland can go it alone and take its racist views with them.
That is getting as bit wearing, and worrying. Just how many people will vote for FREEEEEDDDDOOOOOMMMM without any rational thought is scary, as if there's some anti Scots agenda down south. Because we all know Scots politicians will be as honest as the day is long and there's billions in the bank because we're drowning in oil.
Yep thats what i think, how many people will just vote to get out of England just for the sake of it without looking at the finer details.

To be fair i'm sure we know many people who vote just depending on how an MP or leader looks rather than look at what they can bring to the table, track record of promises etc etc.

I mean look at long Labour stayed in government, and even when they lost the last election people were still saying it was a bad move (Look how bad they made things - it was time for a change)

knightintosh

Post by knightintosh » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:51 am

You've reminded me of something that does grind my gears. This isn't personal or aimed at you, lol, but I used to work in BBC Audience Services as a complaints sifter and the amount of people who'd say Have I Got News For You was racist because it had a joke about Scotland, or some Scottish comedian on The News Quiz was racist against the English by making a joke. Always bull, of course, and they were fine when the "other side" was having a joke made about them.

But what ground my gears is that it's not racist. They're not different races. If it was a joke like in these shows it was playing to a stereotype for comedic effect.

I can't see the split happening to be honest, but I can see it leading to a lot of discontent whatever happens. There have been some horrible comments made by the 'Yes' side and some terrible acts against politicians on the other side and that angers me - people who SAY they want to be treated fairly and want impartial coverage by the media but then don't want the other side to have their say fairly. But as disgusting as some of it has been, it's not racist.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:14 am

r0jaws wrote:Not really, the latest YouGov poll put's Yes votes at 51% (after "don't know" have been removed). Up until then, Poll results were in the 30-40% region in favour of a split.

Have you not been following this?

It's also highly patronising to believe that the Scots will just blindly follow a xenophobic agenda without fully considering the ramifications. Unfortunately, ignorant criticism such as yours is being used by Nationalists to garner support.
Yes, I followed it. But I have no faith in a poll showing anything resembling an accurate figure. The majority of vocal people on this topic are the Yes crowd, and I believe the poll is skewed that way largely because of that. The people participating in the poll have gone out of their way to do so, just like the Yessers. I believe there's a significant silent No majority that hasn't been accounted for.

Its not that all of the Yessers have a xenophobic agenda, but inevitably that is an element of their number.