What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 09, 2014 1:28 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Fair enough. I hadn't actually noticed there were words on any of those pages, maybe they realised its not worth the effort? ;)
I think those its aimed at probably have trouble reading anyway

the whole "Im a grilll gamer" trend is bloody annoying. they where the ones that a few years ago where wearing rock bands based t-shirts

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri May 09, 2014 4:35 pm

psj3809 wrote:Thought lads mags were dead nowadays ?
Not quite but they're certainly in a bad way - Nuts snuffed it last week, Front closed up shop about three months ago and Loaded is apparently being published on an ad-hoc schedule.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri May 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Updates/patches/update data

Just downloaded Payday 2 on the PS3 via PS Plus and thought to myself "ooh I will have a nice few hours playing that tonight...installed fine and then it tells me it needs to download a 4gb update data.... :evil:

Ok I thought - I have BT Infinity - shouldnt take too long.....1 hr later and its on 95% and slowly creeping towards 100%

Why cant they just update the game and then ask you to download once with the updated version...

ooh 96%

it will be after midnight that it has downloaded and then i will fall asleep playing the game...

Its stupid and it smells and I am sick of this method...

I would imagine that when we all have 1gb per sec internet it will be exactly the same as we will be downloading TB of data at some ridiculous slow speed...

And to think I used to complain when a spectrum game would take more than 4 minutes to load...

Progress? My rancid arse

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sat May 10, 2014 2:45 am

This ruddy Crohn's Disease.
You would have thought after 28 years I would have got the hang of it.
I'm in agony in the middle of a flare up.
It's so much discomfort, I'm having problems playing Dark Souls 2.
(Not that I need an excuse to play Dark Souls 2 badly)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat May 10, 2014 4:07 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:Updates/patches/update data

Just downloaded Payday 2 on the PS3 via PS Plus and thought to myself "ooh I will have a nice few hours playing that tonight...installed fine and then it tells me it needs to download a 4gb update data.... :evil:

Ok I thought - I have BT Infinity - shouldnt take too long.....1 hr later and its on 95% and slowly creeping towards 100%

Why cant they just update the game and then ask you to download once with the updated version...

ooh 96%

it will be after midnight that it has downloaded and then i will fall asleep playing the game...

I would imagine that when we all have 1gb per sec internet it will be exactly the same as we will be downloading TB of data at some ridiculous slow speed...

And to think I used to complain when a spectrum game would take more than 4 minutes to load...

Progress? My rancid arse
The PS4 downloads any game updates in the background, regardless of what you're actually playing and can also do it when in stand by mode (see below). So that's a problem that's largely negated. I've not noticed any huge waits to play anything, anyway. :) Can't speak for the xbone, of course, but i'd imagine it has a similar feature.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/12/ ... andby_mode
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 am

Progress? My rancid arse
Tell me about it! I wasted 3 nights doing this:

Download PayDay 2, install, run and it says I need a patch, download patch that's bigger than the original game (so why not just give me the new version in the first place), install patch which gives an error and corrupts the whole thing. The whole night has now gone and I try again the next day. I may have a fault on my hard drive, as the previous game, Sly Cooper was failing and that was a 20Gb download!

I ended up disabling the internet on it and I was playing it off-line. I didn't like it much anyway, so I'm not going to bother with it any more. I'll try to finish FFV before the next batch of games arrive.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat May 10, 2014 5:16 am

ooh 96%

Progress? My rancid arse

Oooh if only i saw this post one hour ago, i wouldnt have bothered to start dloading it. I wondered why it was only 4gb in size, that extra stuff seems to be why, yet unconsiously in my mind i didnt enjoy payday the heist so im assuming im not going to like this one either...im off to stop downloading.

I redownloaded mass effect3 to see if i can "get into it", as im constantly told im missing out, if the download didnt take aeons then the install took nearly 40 mins.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat May 10, 2014 9:02 am

Finally got a game of payday 2 and even though i didnt have a clue what i was doing I enjoyed the little online game i had...

might be worth persevering with (or just set it away and watch 3 films while it is downloading:)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 11, 2014 4:38 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:Why cant they just update the game and then ask you to download once with the updated version...
Does seem like common sense doesn't it? I had a similar situation with GTA V where the initial install plus all of the updates took so long that I'd actually spent the first evening of 'playing the game' just doing this crap. Think I got about 20 mins gaming in the end before turning the PS3 off and just going to bed.
Liamh1982 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:Thought lads mags were dead nowadays ?
Not quite but they're certainly in a bad way - Nuts snuffed it last week, Front closed up shop about three months ago and Loaded is apparently being published on an ad-hoc schedule.
These mags killed themselves. All of the 'articles' were utter garbage so all you are left with are the pictures which the magazines would always publish for free on their site a week later when the next issue was out.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:23 am

True - that's certainly how I "enjoyed" them anyway!
Mind you, Nuts was always a strange one. Bare breasts, photos of grisly injuries yet no swearing - if you're old enough to buy it surely you can handle words stronger than "bloody"!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:57 am

People who insist that what I think is retro is wrong, and that their version is the one true retro that all others must abide by ;)

(Because I'm stubborn like that).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:03 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:People who insist that what I think is retro is wrong, and that their version is the one true retro that all others must abide by ;)

:lol:
This debate would probably still be raging when the PS4 is considered retro.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:People who insist that what I think is retro is wrong, and that their version is the one true retro that all others must abide by ;)

To be fair, I actually understood the point you were trying to make in that thread but couldn't really be bothered to wade into such an ancient debate!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:43 pm

People who have no clue about driving and can not follow the rules not even the REALLY simple ones. IE if the light is RED then censored STOP, and before anyone asks it was yet another "white van man" that almost smashed into myself because he could not follow simple rules
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon May 12, 2014 5:10 pm

gman72 wrote:

:lol:
This debate would probably still be raging when the PS4 is considered retro.
The PS4 will never be retro (if you're ant) :lol:

Eat your nans pants