What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

lanky316

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by lanky316 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ It's an American thing so I doubt it's atheists, it's more a combination of trying too hard not to offend anyone and the fact you've got the likes of Hanukkah and Kwanzaa around the same time.
With more people deciding to wish each other a happy thanksgiving and the rise in popularity of Hallowe'en in recent years, heck we could even add the IRA loving east coast of America being related to why people suddenly go really overboard for St Patricks (certainly here it's rocketed since I was a kid, understand other areas may have been different) it's safe to say it's the American influence for the rise in "Happy Holidays", face it we're just another US state these days.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:46 pm

lanky316 wrote:the rise in popularity of Hallowe'en in recent years
That might be a new thing round your way, but its always been a celebrated holiday in Scotland. Schools use it as an opportunity to teach some of our historical poetry and go into many of the myths and legends surrounding it and costume competitions would be had.

The only thing that has changed is the sudden appearance of pumpkins instead of turnips for our lanterns, which tbh is a blessing. Have you ever tried scooping out a turnip? Power tools are advised, they're rock solid.

I made a potato lantern one year. Actually won a prize with it too!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:09 pm

More crazy drivers...

Was dead on the 60mph speed limit for country roads yesterday when some fool in an Audi A5 decides to drive right up my arse for a good distance before overtaking...on a blind corner :roll: . Well done.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:53 am

Being ill on my birthday.
Being ill when I want to see a concert. Id suck it up, but its one of those that comes with a headache and a bit of dizziness

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:29 am

being criticised by a colleague in the break room because i listen to metal music in my car.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 am

flatapex wrote:being criticised by a colleague in the break room because i listen to metal music in my car.
Tell im its your religion and by dismissing your religion you can get him in trouble for oppression

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:00 pm

retrosofer wrote:People who use the right-hand lane to go strait over an island/roundabout, last time i checked its the left hand lane unless road markings or signage say otherwise.
This happened to me today while it was p1ssing down with rain and the roads full of rush-hour traffic :roll: . Surprise, surprise it was BMW driver.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:30 pm

DPrinny wrote:
flatapex wrote:being criticised by a colleague in the break room because i listen to metal music in my car.
Tell im its your religion and by dismissing your religion you can get him in trouble for oppression
her :lol:

well we were car sharing on a particular shift until i turned up at the bus stop at 645am to find she wasnt there and had arranged to car share with someone else behind my back, :shock:

well she might need a lift in when her usual lift is on a lieu day, she can whistle and i wont tell her till she asks :lol: revenge unlike custard is a dish best served cold

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:29 pm

I don't drink very often anymore but I stupidly got into a bit of a state & lost my phone on Friday night.

Even more stupidly I never used any of those find my phone apps or backed up anything for about a month oh yeah and also I'm not insured & have about 20 months still to run on my overpriced contract..

I'm not a rich man and that phone was the most expensive price of tech I owned.

Absolutely furious with myself,
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Ouch! I feel for you there mate.

Eat your nans pants

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:53 am

DPrinny wrote:

In my experience the people who always say things like "you can't even understand what they're saying" listen to Nikki Minaj or Sean Paul

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:08 am

^ Oh, the irony. I doubt even those fluent in Jamaican patois can fully comprehend Sean Paul.
Mind you, I don't think it would be worth the effort.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:30 pm

people who make assumptions based on their own (seemingly limited/blinkered/wrong) life experience.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:46 am

My sister in law's censored poor timekeeping

My pain in the backside cousin, his stupid wedding and my mum's misguided believe we should go/ can afford to/ can get time off work

Because we can all commit to attending a wedding abroad with less than 6 months notice

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:25 am

Delivery at work came in last night....look whats been allocated due to public demand...

id love to meet whatever public was demanding these..