What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

aztecca

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:49 pm

nokgod wrote:
The Angry Jock wrote:I've been using the word bellend a lot recently...I seem to be toning it down these days :lol:
I live near Bell End....for true! My dad was even born there. Google map it. Bell End, Rowley Regis.

Waits for the inevitable jokes:...... :wink:
I used to go through there when i went fishing.It always cracked me up :D the pub is called the bell at bellend too :lol:
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 am

I am currently using "twunt".

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:50 am

aztecca wrote:
nokgod wrote:
The Angry Jock wrote:I've been using the word bellend a lot recently...I seem to be toning it down these days :lol:
I live near Bell End....for true! My dad was even born there. Google map it. Bell End, Rowley Regis.

Waits for the inevitable jokes:...... :wink:
I used to go through there when i went fishing.It always cracked me up :D the pub is called the bell at bellend too :lol:
Yeah, i think the Bell has shut now though. It makes me chuckle every time i see the road sign.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:39 pm

My mother told me this today.

Earlier today ,it was lashing it down and my mother peaked out the window and saw an old bloke and his grand kid(a little girl aged about 4).The little lassy had on a pair of pink cotton type sand shoes and pink cotton type clothes ,which were useless for keeping her dry in this downpour .She also had a little pink umbrella with pictures all over,so she was basically ok in the rain.

But here's the :evil: part .Good old grandad ,being the kind and caring type of bloke that he was ,decided ,feck this ,i'm getting wet.So what does he do ? He does what any good, caring grandad would always do ,the censored took the kids umbrella off the 4 year old and stuck it over his own head and left this teeny little lassy to get drenched .

WHAT A COMPLETE AND UTTER BARSTEWARD !
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:46 pm

That's just bad grandadding. What you're supposed to do is pick her up with the brolly so it covers you both. Win Win.

Though she'd probably have been happier with a raincoat, a pair of wellies and a jolly good splash about.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Any software written by Bentley (not the car people). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Application forms that have the "Whats your ethnicity" question on.

Thought they wernt allowed to ask any more and why do they ask if they are supposed to be a "Equal optionality's employer"

dste

Post by dste » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:06 pm

It's because of equal opportunities that they ask.

It's so that they can say 18% of applicants are black or 11% are chinese etc etc
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Trying to do loads of different jobs at work and getting paid the same rate as somebody who stands around bemoaning the fact that they have to sweep a small section of the floor. That's ground my gears this week.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:55 pm

necronom wrote:Any software written by Bentley (not the car people). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
What software is that?

I've had phone calls off those guys trying to get us to use their drafting & rebar packages...they've told us a few porkies in doing so.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:08 pm

The Angry Jock wrote:
necronom wrote:Any software written by Bentley (not the car people). :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
What software is that?

I've had phone calls off those guys trying to get us to use their drafting & rebar packages...they've told us a few porkies in doing so.
Well, the first thing I ever used by them was Bentley View. It was terrible, and just didn't seem to work properly at all. Printing things was a nightmare. It became my least favourite thing ever. Luckily I didn't have to use it hardly at all, though other people did for a while. We used it for printing CAD drawings.

Then a few months ago I was told we would be working on a contract where we needed to use Microstation (a CAD package). I use AutoCAD, and find it excellent. I tried a demo of Microstation and immediately hated it with a passion. It was unbelievably bad in every way possible. It felt like an Alpha version. It takes forever to do simple things. I've been copying the drawings into AutoCAD the last few weeks working there as I can't stand to use the other one. No one's complained so far. Microstation is now my most hated bit of software ever.

To get to their drawings we have to use Bentley Project Wise (now in the number 2 spot of hatred). It doesn't work. It's a document control package that doesn't let us search for documents and wouldn't open them. We changed the associations to fix that by removing the file association, then adding the EXACT SAME THING back in (just pointing e.g. Excel files to open with "excel.exe", etc.), but today it stopped bothering to open Microstation files, and it randomly did it to someone else. It's unbelievable.

I must have done 1 hours work in the full day, the rest was spent trying to get at files (including 20 mins to find the CAD drawings without the search - would have taken less than 30 seconds at our office), logging in new documents, and generally trying to do very basic things.

When I got someone else to send me the drawing I couldn't open, the border was missing, so I have half a drawing in AutoCAD now.

To top it off the PC's there are locked down to an unbelievable level (I can't delete my own shortcuts from my desktop, look at the calendar by clicking the clock, stop the annoying animated screensaver, change the theme from a Win95 one to XP, add a quicklaunch shortcut, etc) and the phone is now lit up with a big distracting light saying I have voicemail, but when I tried to listen to it it asked for a password. We weren't told one, so I guessed at 0000#, which then said "Sorry your account has been locked". I pushed it away and aimed it at the wall.

Not a good day.

I was about 90% towards this at one point. I had to look out the window for a bit while Project Wise stared blankly back at me when I clicked on a folder in it's stupid document list.

And the funny thing is that Microstation costs much more than AutoCAD!!
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

do_sucol

Post by do_sucol » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:33 pm

People who defend the TAX system and demand that you too"YOU SHOULD PAY YOUR FAIR SHARE" :roll:
1. It is true that the THEORY of our Constitution is, that all taxes are paid voluntarily; that our government is a mutual insurance company, voluntarily entered into by the people with each other; that that each man makes a free and purely voluntary contract with all others who are parties to the Constitution, to pay so much money for so much protection, the same as he does with any other insurance company; and that he is just as free not to be protected, and not to pay tax, as he is to pay a tax, and be protected.

But this theory of our government is wholly different from the practical fact. The fact is that the government, like a highwayman, says to a man: "Your money, or your life." And many, if not most, taxes are paid under the compulsion of that threat.

The government does not, indeed, waylay a man in a lonely place, spring upon him from the roadside, and, holding a pistol to his head, proceed to rifle his pockets. But the robbery is none the less a robbery on that account; and it is far more dastardly and shameful.

The highwayman takes solely upon himself the responsibility, danger, and crime of his own act. He does not pretend that he has any rightful claim to your money, or that he intends to use it for your own benefit. He does not pretend to be anything but a robber. He has not acquired impudence enough to profess to be merely a "protector," and that he takes men's money against their will, merely to enable him to "protect" those infatuated travellers, who feel perfectly able to protect themselves, or do not appreciate his peculiar system of protection. He is too sensible a man to make such professions as these. Furthermore, having taken your money, he leaves you, as you wish him to do. He does not persist in following you on the road, against your will; assuming to be your rightful "sovereign," on account of the "protection" he affords you. He does not keep "protecting" you, by commanding you to bow down and serve him; by requiring you to do this, and forbidding you to do that; by robbing you of more money as often as he finds it for his interest or pleasure to do so; and by branding you as a rebel, a traitor, and an enemy to your country, and shooting you down without mercy, if you dispute his authority, or resist his demands. He is too much of a gentleman to be guilty of such impostures, and insults, and villanies as these. In short, he does not, in addition to robbing you, attempt to make you either his dupe or his slave.

The proceedings of those robbers and murderers, who call themselves "the government," are directly the opposite of these of the single highwayman.

In the first place, they do not, like him, make themselves individually known; or, consequently, take upon themselves personally the responsibility of their acts. On the contrary, they secretly (by secret ballot) designate some one of their number to commit the robbery in their behalf, while they keep themselves practically concealed. They say to the person thus designated:

Go to A_____ B_____, and say to him that "the government" has need of money to meet the expenses of protecting him and his property. If he presumes to say that he has never contracted with us to protect him, and that he wants none of our protection, say to him that that is our business, and not his; that we CHOOSE to protect him, whether he desires us to do so or not; and that we demand pay, too, for protecting him. If he dares to inquire who the individuals are, who have thus taken upon themselves the title of "the government," and who assume to protect him, and demand payment of him, without his having ever made any contract with them, say to him that that, too, is our business, and not his; that we do not CHOOSE to make ourselves INDIVIDUALLY known to him; that we have secretly (by secret ballot) appointed you our agent to give him notice of our demands, and, if he complies with them, to give him, in our name, a receipt that will protect him against any similar demand for the present year. If he refuses to comply, seize and sell enough of his property to pay not only our demands, but all your own expenses and trouble beside. If he resists the seizure of his property, call upon the bystanders to help you (doubtless some of them will prove to be members of our band.) If, in defending his property, he should kill any of our band who are assisting you, capture him at all hazards; charge him (in one of our courts) with murder; convict him, and hang him. If he should call upon his neighbors, or any others who, like him, may be disposed to resist our demands, and they should come in large numbers to his assistance, cry out that they are all rebels and traitors; that "our country" is in danger; call upon the commander of our hired murderers; tell him to quell the rebellion and "save the country," cost what it may. Tell him to kill all who resist, though they should be hundreds of thousands; and thus strike terror into all others similarly disposed. See that the work of murder is thoroughly done; that we may have no further trouble of this kind hereafter. When these traitors shall have thus been taught our strength and our determination, they will be good loyal citizens for many years, and pay their taxes without a why or a wherefore.

It is under such compulsion as this that taxes, so called, are paid. And how much proof the payment of taxes affords, that the people consent to "support the government," it needs no further argument to show.
All political power, so called, rests practically upon this matter of money. Any number of scoundrels, having money enough to start with, can establish themselves as a "government"; because, with money, they can hire soldiers, and with soldiers extort more money; and also compel general obedience to their will. It is with government, as Caesar said it was in war, that money and soldiers mutually supported each other; that with money he could hire soldiers, and with soldiers extort money. So these villains, who call themselves governments, well understand that their power rests primarily upon money. With money they can hire soldiers, and with soldiers extort money. And, when their authority is denied, the first use they always make of money, is to hire soldiers to kill or subdue all who refuse them more money
For this reason, whoever desires liberty, should understand these vital facts, viz.: 1. That every man who puts money into the hands of a "government" (so called), puts into its hands a sword which will be used against him, to extort more money from him, and also to keep him in subjection to its arbitrary will. 2. That those who will take his money, without his consent, in the first place, will use it for his further robbery and enslavement, if he presumes to resist their demands in the future. 3. That it is a perfect absurdity to suppose that any body of men would ever take a man's money without his consent, for any such object as they profess to take it for, viz., that of protecting him; for why should they wish to protect him, if he does not wish them to do so? To suppose that they would do so, is just as absurd as it would be to suppose that they would take his moeny without his consent, for the purpose of buying food or clothing for him, when he did not want it. 4. If a man wants "protection," he is competent to make his own bargains for it; and nobody has any occasion to rob him, in order to "protect" him against his will. 5. That the only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in their keeping their money in their own pockets, until they have assurances, perfectly satisfactory to themselves, that it will be used as they wish it to be used, for their benefit, and not for their injury. 6. That no government, so called, can reasonably be trusted for a moment, or reasonably be supposed to have honest purposes in view, any longer than it depends wholly upon voluntary support.

These facts are all so vital and so self-evident, that it cannot reasonably be supposed that any one will voluntarily pay money to a "government," for the purpose of securing its protection, unless he first make an explicit and purely voluntary contract with it for that purpose.
The economic and political system isn't broken.
It's doing what it was designed to do - make the rich richer.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:58 pm

The VAT man investigated my father in laws firm over the course of 3 years, pretty much turned the place inside out and caused a lot of unnecessary stress and strain between everyone caught up in it. The end result? they owed him just over £4. And btw, this is no big business that im talking about, just your average firm with approx 10-15 employees.

The amount of greed in our government is frightening. And for me its is way more corrupt than we will ever know. The expenses fiasco:- I dont think we even scraped the tip of the iceberg there.

Eat your nans pants

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:42 am

necronom wrote:Well, the first thing I ever used by them was Bentley View. It was terrible, and just didn't seem to work properly at all. Printing things was a nightmare. It became my least favourite thing ever. Luckily I didn't have to use it hardly at all, though other people did for a while. We used it for printing CAD drawings.

Then a few months ago I was told we would be working on a contract where we needed to use Microstation (a CAD package). I use AutoCAD, and find it excellent. I tried a demo of Microstation and immediately hated it with a passion. It was unbelievably bad in every way possible. It felt like an Alpha version. It takes forever to do simple things. I've been copying the drawings into AutoCAD the last few weeks working there as I can't stand to use the other one. No one's complained so far. Microstation is now my most hated bit of software ever.
I've never had the misfortune to use Microstation, we find it's mainly used in the SE and everywhere else uses AutoCad. The RC packages look pretty smart but I need to get my hands on it to make a decent assessment, it's taken me 3 years to get CADS RC to do exactly what I want :lol:
necronom wrote:To get to their drawings we have to use Bentley Project Wise (now in the number 2 spot of hatred). It doesn't work. It's a document control package that doesn't let us search for documents and wouldn't open them. We changed the associations to fix that by removing the file association, then adding the EXACT SAME THING back in (just pointing e.g. Excel files to open with "excel.exe", etc.), but today it stopped bothering to open Microstation files, and it randomly did it to someone else. It's unbelievable.

I must have done 1 hours work in the full day, the rest was spent trying to get at files (including 20 mins to find the CAD drawings without the search - would have taken less than 30 seconds at our office), logging in new documents, and generally trying to do very basic things.
Holy sh*t, I've just seen my future :lol: I sat through a presentation on Project Wise last month as one of our London offices use it and I think we're going to trial it on a one of the massive projects we've got coming up. I didn't know it was Bentley! It looked good from a AutoCAD issue point of view but we mainly use REVIT these days and it just doesn't support it, so I don't quite know what the value is for us. The big cheeses seem to think it's the bees knees though...
necronom wrote:And the funny thing is that Microstation costs much more than AutoCAD!!
We're on a global agreement that means we only pay when it's opened, which means I could test it out for a few weeks and it wouldn't cost that much. I didn't realise the overall price was more expensive, I don't get involved in that side of things.

Out of interest, what is it you do?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

dste

Post by dste » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:41 am

That bloomin Nintendo survey you have to complete every time you register a game on the website, right pain in the a*se.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!