What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Sh1tty DVD cases in boxsets :evil:

Just bought my sister The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-4 as part of her Christmas pressie and one of the DVD spindles is already shattered. I had this same issue with Scrubs Seasons 1-8 boxset that I bought for myself earlier in the year - multiple spindles shattered across the boxset.

I've noticed that this tends to happen in the clear multi-disc cases that choose to store two discs on each side rather than have a second holder in the centre. Why can't they work out a better design or even use something that isn't utter crap?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Megamixer wrote:Sh1tty DVD cases in boxsets :evil:

Just bought my sister The Big Bang Theory Seasons 1-4 as part of her Christmas pressie and one of the DVD spindles is already shattered. I had this same issue with Scrubs Seasons 1-8 boxset that I bought for myself earlier in the year - multiple spindles shattered across the boxset.

I've noticed that this tends to happen in the clear multi-disc cases that choose to store two discs on each side rather than have a second holder in the centre. Why can't they work out a better design or even use something that isn't utter crap?
i had the same thing with the complete men behaving badly box set last year,very annoying.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:Sh1tty DVD cases in boxsets :evil:

Agreed. And also, on a similar note, the "Playback" DVD sets. I bought The Office An American Workplace seasons 1-3 boxset. And inside the main sleeve is a wad of cardboard sleeves that hold 2 disks each, plain black except for the Playback logo. Just seems so lazy and dull. I know it proably saves them a few quid, but some artwork would have been appreciated.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:02 pm

On a similar note - several bits broken off the centres of CD jewel cases (that hold the disc in place) off Amazon or wherever before you've even opened the shrink wrapping - new disc no doubt getting scratched with everything moving around in there :evil:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Mr Kipling

Post by Mr Kipling » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:21 pm

eBay :evil:

Found an unused Canon SLR camera strap I forgot I owned, and got rid of it via auction on Sunday night. Posted it off on Monday morning before work and thought that was that.

Then yesterday I got this:

HIYA MR KIPLING. I RECIEVED THE CAMERA STRAP THIS MORNING. I WENT TO FIT IT ON MY CANON 450D DIGITAL SLR BUT I DECIDED THE STRAP IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH IN SEVERAL RESPECTS. IT IS CONSIDERABLY SHORTER THAN MY ORIGINAL STRAP PLUS IT IS NARROWER AND MUCH THINER AND THEREFORE A LOT WEAKER THAN MY ORIGINAL STRAP. MY CANON STRAP IS 4 INCHES LONGER AND TWICE AS THICK' THE CANON MARKINGS ON MINE ARE EMBOSSED INTO MY STRAP WHERAS YOURS IS PRINTED ONTO THE STRAP AND WILL WEAR OFF. ALSO MY STRAP IS CANON MADE IN JAPAN AND YOURS IS MADE IN TAIWAN. I WOULD NOT TRUST YOUR STRAP TO CARRY THE WEIGHT OF MY 400MM LENS AND 2X CONVERTOR. I AM NOT ACTUALLY SAYING IT IS NOT GENUINE CANON BUT IT CERTAINLY APPEARS OF MUCH INFERIOR QUALITY.

What the hell did he expect for the pittance he paid for it? For it to be woven with gold?? I had also stitched in an absolutely gigantic and clear picture into the listing, so it's not as if I was trying to mislead him. And why is talking about his damn camera? I couldn't give less of a f### mate.

What a total div... :roll:

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Greggs. Now, I'm probably solely responsible for them staying in business, the amount I buy from there, but there's one thing I just don't get. When I say, "I'd like a ring doughnut, please," the response is usually, "Sugar ring or sugar strand?"

I'm really curious to know how the word "sugar" differentiates between "sugar ring doughnut" and "sugar strand doughnut" in a way that "ring" doesn't.

But just to complicate things further, Greggs have now changed the name of sugar strand doughnuts to "sugar strand ring doughnuts". While it's certainly more correct, it means I get asked the same question, no matter how many adjectives I pile onto "sugar ring doughnut".

They should start calling those "sugar ring doughnuts without any of the icing, jam, flavourings etc. on them or in them, just kept plain with the standard natural sweetener lightly sprinkled over it". I'd like to see them try to verify my order then.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:42 pm

Mr Kipling wrote:eBay :evil:

Found an unused Canon SLR camera strap I forgot I owned, and got rid of it via auction on Sunday night. Posted it off on Monday morning before work and thought that was that.

Then yesterday I got this:

HIYA MR KIPLING. I RECIEVED THE CAMERA STRAP THIS MORNING. I WENT TO FIT IT ON MY CANON 450D DIGITAL SLR BUT I DECIDED THE STRAP IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH IN SEVERAL RESPECTS. IT IS CONSIDERABLY SHORTER THAN MY ORIGINAL STRAP PLUS IT IS NARROWER AND MUCH THINER AND THEREFORE A LOT WEAKER THAN MY ORIGINAL STRAP. MY CANON STRAP IS 4 INCHES LONGER AND TWICE AS THICK' THE CANON MARKINGS ON MINE ARE EMBOSSED INTO MY STRAP WHERAS YOURS IS PRINTED ONTO THE STRAP AND WILL WEAR OFF. ALSO MY STRAP IS CANON MADE IN JAPAN AND YOURS IS MADE IN TAIWAN. I WOULD NOT TRUST YOUR STRAP TO CARRY THE WEIGHT OF MY 400MM LENS AND 2X CONVERTOR. I AM NOT ACTUALLY SAYING IT IS NOT GENUINE CANON BUT IT CERTAINLY APPEARS OF MUCH INFERIOR QUALITY.

What the hell did he expect for the pittance he paid for it? For it to be woven with gold?? I had also stitched in an absolutely gigantic and clear picture into the listing, so it's not as if I was trying to mislead him. And why is talking about his damn camera? I couldn't give less of a f### mate.

What a total div... :roll:
Message him back with:

I SUGGEST YOU GET A LIGHTER CAMERA.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:36 am

People who call doughrings 'ring doughnuts'.

If it is a ring, how can it be a nut?

It is either a doughring or a doughnut, it can not be both.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:25 am

I've never heard the term 'doughring' ever ! Always been a doughnut or ring doughnut.

Doughring ?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:27 am

psj3809 wrote:I've never heard the term 'doughring' ever ! Always been a doughnut or ring doughnut.

Doughring ?
Me neither! It's a ring doughnut up these parts I'm afraid!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 am

Here in Australia they're all called doughnuts, regardless of whether they have a hole or not.

A plain doughnut dusted with sugar is a sugared doughnut.
One with sugar and cinnamon is a cinnamon doughnut.
One with sprinkles and icing is an iced doughnut, or maybe also a glazed doughnut. (You can append 'with/without sprinkles' if you want to be specific.)
And a doughnut filled with jam is a jam doughnut.

Plus we usually spell it 'donut', lazy american style.

Ring doughnuts, doughrings, and sugar strand doughnuts are all foreign terms to me, to be looked upon with suspicion and distrust. (Along with words like 'crisps' or 'butties'.)
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:If it is a ring, how can it be a nut?
How can it be a nut when it's baked with dough? It's not a nut at all. At least peanuts resemble nuts.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:50 am

Pixiu wrote:(Along with words like 'crisps' or 'butties'.)
So what do you call 'crisps' ? Dont tell me chips ? Thought Aussies called crisps - crisps

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:19 am

Prince - Sign “☮” the Times

I'm a big fan of Prince & I can ignore the spelling of his songs as precursor to horrible "Text Speak" but this line in Sign “☮” the Times does my head in.
Sister killed her baby cuz she could afford 2 feed it
And we’re sending people 2 the moon
We haven't "sent people to the Moon" since 1972! Even though the song was written in 1987 that's a good 15 years previous. :?

Still crackin' tune.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:42 am

I'm afraid I'm for crisps and butties as well! Although to be fair, after consulting wikipedia, it seems "potato chips" were invented in america. I don't believe it, but it's on the internet, and nothing on the internet is wrong.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."