What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:41 am

merman wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am
All the rich influential people claiming there is such a thing as "cancel culture", while they are still given a huge media platform to explain why they have been "cancelled".
I hate those kind of people, sadly the blind muppets will still follow them and give them more power than they are worth.
Watching you sleep since 1990

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:56 am

Sega2006 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:09 pm
I can't be the only one when I say this.

This F***ing weather

Barely been able to wear more clothes than underpants and whenever I go out I virtually waterboard myself with my mask, been trying to keep my 30th Birthday gift on, an Automatic Seiko watch, so it stays wound and enjoyed and my wrist gets a swamp within 10 minutes.
The ones I really feel sorry for though are the poor sods having to wear the protective and Hazmat gear, earlier I saw a vid from China of a nurse on break literally pouring buckets of sweat out of her suit with no choice but to carry on after.
I'll take the heat over the cold. At its worse the heat is uncomfortable for sure, but the cold at it's worse is painful.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 am

I get pain in the cold too but you can put more layers on, theres only so many you can take off.
The heat is also very dangerous to many and will do damage to crops making things cost far more in what is likely to be a very bad recession.

Nothing but my back bugging me badly today as the storms cooled the place and no fun customers (or any tbh) atm on ebay, just need to get something done before the 20th so I don't go overdrawn.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 am

Loving the heat as well. It’s the summer. Meant to be hot !! Everyone will moan when it’s raining tons soon enough !! Think everyone seems to moan about everything nowadays !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:39 am

It's hot AND raining tons. We had cars floating down the street and a train crash due to the rain this week, and it's unusually warm.

Good luck to you PSJ, I'm currently waiting to see if I still have a job.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:04 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 am
Loving the heat as well. It’s the summer. Meant to be hot !! Everyone will moan when it’s raining tons soon enough !! Think everyone seems to moan about everything nowadays !
True, although there is hot weather and there is insufferably HOT weather.....i mean, people go to places like Canary Islands for consistent 25C sunshine, its comfortable and totally bearable.....you don't go there to melt your face off at 35C+. Britain over the past week has been a bit too much like Riyadh rather than Lanzarote, hence perhaps the moaning!

Its the evening that is where most complaints probably come from. Places that frequently get the high temperatures are better at dealing with it, and the buildings better designed for it (and aircon being much more common place in homes). I'll definitely be doing a rain dance over the coming days to cool off.....and THEN i'll complain about the rain and question where the bloody summer is! :P

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:36 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Up to about 25 is fine, thats the ideal British Summer tempreture but over 30 and its not just upleasent, it's dangerous to Wildlife,Vegitation and even Human life.
I acctually like the rain, only time I really have issue with it is if I need to work on something outside thats not doable in the wet like spray painting or electrical, other than that I'm gravy, I grew up spending most of my summers on the British east coast so if you couldn't take the rain you didn't go anywhere.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:04 pm
psj3809 wrote:
True, although there is hot weather and there is insufferably HOT weather.....i mean, people go to places like Canary Islands for consistent 25C sunshine, its comfortable and totally bearable.....you don't go there to melt your face off at 35C+. Britain over the past week has been a bit too much like Riyadh rather than Lanzarote, hence perhaps the moaning!

Its the evening that is where most complaints probably come from. Places that frequently get the high temperatures are better at dealing with it, and the buildings better designed for it (and aircon being much more common place in homes). I'll definitely be doing a rain dance over the coming days to cool off.....and THEN i'll complain about the rain and question where the bloody summer is! :P
I visited Florida about 20 years ago now and they were really good with it, even basic homes had decent cooling and places like the theme parks would use misters for people to pass through and cool off, Evening wise there it'd often acctually naturally cool to a pleasent temp as you'd get an hour or so of heavy rain fall and you could sit out and listen to the Bullfrogs.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 pm

Sydney had a 48C day earlier in the year. It wasn't pleasant.

Still, at least most of our heatwaves are hot and dry ones because they come from the desert interior. Hot and humid weather starts to feel uncomfortable at much lower temperatures.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:11 am

Matt_B wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 pm
Sydney had a 48C day earlier in the year. It wasn't pleasant.

Still, at least most of our heatwaves are hot and dry ones because they come from the desert interior. Hot and humid weather starts to feel uncomfortable at much lower temperatures.
Britain would literally melt and collapse if it had just one 48C day.....

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:08 pm

Was it two years ago we had a crazy hot summer? Don’t get me wrong when it was 35 I didn’t want to do anything at all !! But still prefer hot weather to the usual depressing non stop rain we get up north !

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:47 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:08 pm
Was it two years ago we had a crazy hot summer? Don’t get me wrong when it was 35 I didn’t want to do anything at all !! But still prefer hot weather to the usual depressing non stop rain we get up north !
Yeah, I was running deliveries in it fighting to keep my Fridge and Freezer cool enough to not damage the stock, damaged crops that year and caused a lot of issues with the elderly down here in the south.
My Mrs is from the North and theres a noticable difference in the heat as you go south, Londons usually the worst as it traps the heat and the Underground typically gets into the 40s.

If you want reference of how hot it got, the glue on my cars trim physically melted, I'll snap a photo when I next visit it as it was on my to do list and I hadn't managed to fix it yet.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:36 am

Peoples over reliance on contactless payments.

This happens at least 5 to 10 times daily - Customer comes to till point, taps their card and starts to walk off. they turn and say "ok" "gone through?"
When you touch the pad, it needs to connect to the bank and authorise, the delay between someone tapping their card and the bank authorising it can be the most uncomfortable waiting time ever. They stand and stare as if I'm the rude one not confirming the sale.

I say its "talking to the bank" so it should be okay I'm guessing?.
They continue to walk, and the message "insert card" appears.

(Now if you ever get a new card or a contactless card, the bumpf that comes with the card explains that to activate contactless you HAVE to first use a chip payment to activate it, then on random occasions use your PIN number as an extra security check, be aware this also happens on Applepay or GPay)

The look on peoples faces as they have to walk back to the tills - What do you mean chip, i use contactless, it better not charge me twice, I don't know my pin number that's the point of contactless innit. Ive got THOUSANDS in the bank its your machines it is not my card.

This is happening more frequent due to people travelling further than normal - if you were in Brighton at 9am and were on your way to Tenby for the week so stop at 11 to use the services or whatever, your bank will get a ping to say...hmm you live in Brigton but your card is being used in south wales...keep an eye on that butty..better still..Whats your PIN.

So yeah, basically peoples over reliance on contactless and forgetting their PIN (wasn't that long ago that a PIN number was the new thing) - also if their chip is somehow damaged telling us that its okay to swipe it instead - no its not butt sorry - they kick off saying they'll sign for it - no sorrybutt it has a chip and pin for a reason. You should be thanking us for keeping your funds safe not abusing us because you got a dodgy chip.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:57 am

^They need to have one thats easy to remember like mine
Its not hard to remember 6969

The heat is annoying, I cant work on anything, cycling is a no no as is anything that requires effort
On the plus side, stuff drys faster

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:10 am

I'll pop round yours later Prin to borrow a couple of things ;)

I didn't have issues the other week when I went South to North and then South again in fairly close timing, Contactless was still a fairly new and foriegn thing when I last worked a till, I always make sure it's gone through before I've even put my card away, just good manners.