What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Yeah if it was being sold theres a good chance it was sat on their drive for a fair bit and used for the odd test run if someone came to see it. A good long journey on the motorway should help or perhaps a replacement battery. Just probably wasnt used much as they were trying to sell it

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm not aware of any immediate causes for drain on the Focus, if its sat sometimes you can get the light switches stick on the doors on some cars so make sure you see them go out when you lock the car.
Your average Car Battery is also only meant to average 5 years of normal use, Start stop systems and short runs can put more strain on them (Start stop cars even have to have a particular type as they kill normal ones) so it might be worth getting a Cell condition check done, a lot of Garages will do this free, also check the charging ability of the Alternator if the car is at 100k miles and up.

When leaving the car for a long period disconnect the battery or attach a trickle charger, you can get these dirt cheap off amazon and any Ford Service desk worth their salt will give you the Radio code for free should you need it.

I've got a slight drain issue on mine, all BMW E46's including the M3 have a resistor pack that fails (and it will) and causes the ventilation fans to have a mind of their own and if you don't catch it they will whir away sometimes on their own while the car is locked up and off.
I have bought the part thats been in my glove box for months as you need to be a midget contortionist to change it so it'll be on the mechanics list when I can recommision the car.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Not sure about Fords from 2012 and thereabouts but I had a 2006 Mondeo and Fords of that period had a "Smart Charge" system that required a specific battery (think it had silver content or something...can't quite remember). Anyway, the previous owner had put the wrong battery in and it worked for me for several months then started playing up. Fitted the correct spec of battery but the Smart Charge had been knocked out of sync by having the wrong battery fitted for so long and so sometimes it charged, sometimes it didn't. Battery, alternator and everything else tested and were working fine. Probably needed a reset of the system somehow but I'd had enough by that point and just sold the car. Had enough of having to leave it plugged into the mains every night to ensure that the battery charged to get me to and from work the next day!

But I think yours should just be the simple weak battery scenario, made worse by the car sitting still for that time. Only mnentioned the above because Fords are involved and I don't know whether they still use that pain-in-the-ass charging tech.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:30 pm

The battery charged all right (well, the car didn't sound too happy the first few minutes) and was back to normal this morning. I'll have the battery replaced at the checkup next week.
EDIT: And it died the weekend after and then refused to take charge. Had to get jumpstarted and had Ford fit a new one which bloody well cost me NOK2500... (plus work)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 pm

Stuff that works 98%. Stuff you can't figure out why is failing.
Case in point: My A4000D that wont work with gfx cards (it can see the config), wont work with the combo of all motherboard SIMMs and my A3640 card, and which will typically stop working after an hour or so of use. It needs a proper Chip Doctor at a Logic Clinic.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Hotmail.

Had my email adress with them for just over twenty years I believe and out of nowhere when I logged in it gave me a message about someone else possibly using my account. I create a new one for the purpose of receiving a new code and to complete a form. Hotmail come back telling me that my account is now blocked as I cannot provide information from around twenty years ago. Submit another form with more information that I can think off but again blocked.

Can I find anywhere to be able to contact them outside of the form? Off course not. :evil:
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:16 pm

dste wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:51 pm
Hotmail.

Had my email adress with them for just over twenty years I believe and out of nowhere when I logged in it gave me a message about someone else possibly using my account. I create a new one for the purpose of receiving a new code and to complete a form. Hotmail come back telling me that my account is now blocked as I cannot provide information from around twenty years ago. Submit another form with more information that I can think off but again blocked.

Can I find anywhere to be able to contact them outside of the form? Off course not. :evil:
Something similar happened to my sister when she left herself logged in on the hotmail app then tried to log in on a computer. Ended up being stuck in a loop with no way out and had to start afresh I believe. She had some sort of security form/questionairre from Microsoft that she had to fill out and they subsequently replied by telling her that the information she provided wasn't good enough and that they wouldn't unlock her account.

Outlook in general is awful though. Was trying to use it earlier and it was so slow with no response when clicking on "delete". Couldn't log out either as clicking on my profile to get the "sign out" button didn't do anything. Left it alone for around 20 minutes and suddenly it "caught up", deleted everything I'd been trying to get rid of and finally brought up my profile :roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Well here's one for you!

I got a malicious email that contained private info about me including my Hotmail password. So I tried to change it immediately. It kept saying it had sent a code to my mobile but I never got it. It gave an alternative of sending an email to my back-up, so I thought I would try that. But when I get to my back-up email it says it's sent me code as I'm using it on a new device (I wasn't). Now I know what you are thinking but I did actually get this code, proving it wasn't my phone. When I get in I click the link in the email to reset the password and it tells me that due to security reasons this will not activate for 3 months! I wish I was kidding. By this point I am absolutely fuming and go looking for a way to contact them. Eventually I find a link to live chat, but now I wish I hadn't as they just made me more angry. The guy kept saying that it was my phone network blocking the text from them and I kept explaining how this was nonsense as I got the other code to get in. He just kept ignoring that though. Then tells me that they (Microsoft) cannot do password resets for security reasons!!!! So I ask him what am I supposed to do, just let my email get hacked. He just keeps saying there is nothing he can do. Then he asks me if there is anything else he can help with. I tell him that he hasn't helped with anything yet and explain how useless he is. He then apologises again and asks if I will do a survey after the chat ends, I say you know I am going to rate you a low as I can don't you? He asks why!I kid you not, then tries to say it's not his fault he can't help. I just end the chat after that and give him terrible ratings. Now everyday when I log onto my PC I am just expecting to be locked out my email.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 pm

That reminds me,

Its been ages since I logged into Yahoo

dste

Post by dste » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Inconsiderate thoughtless selfish A**hats who park opposite your drive blocking you in and then sod off.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 pm

dste wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 pm
Inconsiderate thoughtless selfish A**hats who park opposite your drive blocking you in and then sod off.
Tyre Valve key removal tool, it doesn't solve the notmoving issue but reminds them they are a twazzock without causing damage, valve cores can then be hidden on vehicle or left in plain sight as with out them you can't reinflate without them.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am

The fact that all PSVR peripherals are out of stock everywhere and have been for ages. People are charging silly money for them second hand, its very frustrating.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm

buddy1983 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am
The fact that all PSVR peripherals are out of stock everywhere and have been for ages. People are charging silly money for them second hand, its very frustrating.
Game keep getting restock but they sell out quick
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:48 pm

I'll have to keep checking, I'm not paying £100+ for second hand ones.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm

My spine, 3rd week on the trot I've missed going pub with the old man.