Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Ryan GH

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:03 pm

controller as in snes controller?

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:06 pm

I was playing it on wiiu pad and there is a criminal amount of slowdown on bits. The first level where you have zombies coming up plus jumping dogs and flaming skulls behind portculis things slows down terrible. I made a point of making sure i always had the gold armour then constantly saving and reloading back.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 am

BBC Iplayer - it now requires a log-in. Grrrrr! I think it's been done for copyright management.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 am
BBC Iplayer - it now requires a log-in. Grrrrr! I think it's been done for copyright management.

Yeah the ability to pick up where you left off accross multiple devices and get accurate recomendations based on your history sure is a pain ;-)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 am

markopoloman wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:51 pm
Well, the forum was a far better place with me as pretty much the only active moderator. Now any thread that discusses the horrors going on in this country in the 'off topic' thread simply get locked.
Used to have a bloody good discussion - but now... The FUTURE is censored. Rubbish way to run a forum. :evil:
Agreed.
I'd boycott the mag but I haven't bought it in years.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:06 am

The Beans wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:38 am
markopoloman wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:51 pm
Well, the forum was a far better place with me as pretty much the only active moderator. Now any thread that discusses the horrors going on in this country in the 'off topic' thread simply get locked.
Used to have a bloody good discussion - but now... The FUTURE is censored. Rubbish way to run a forum. :evil:
Agreed.
I'd boycott the mag but I haven't bought it in years.
And perhaps surprisingly, and rarely, I agree with you both in terms of the moderation of this forum. I guess at least they seem to be somewhat consistent and "fair", by not only clamping down on free speech of one side, as they seem to be doing it irrespective of your views (I've had more warnings about my opinions and posts in the last couple of months than I ever did with MPM as moderator for almost 3 years, despite us being nowhere even close to having compatible views!).

I'm not into shutting down debate (believe it or not), as I would prefer to challenge views and beliefs that I see as bigotry and quite happy to be challenged for mine. We all have our opinions, and this is an off topic section that shouldn't be so restrained, and while we should perhaps be wary of stuff like aggressive, nasty/threatening behaviour and name calling....just discussing important issues in the world should not be subject to censorship.

I would add that I will continue to buy the magazine, and I have no issue with the content and quality of the mag....but the moderation of this forum does leave a lot to be desired, and perhaps a bit of a re-think over how its managed. I think MPM did a pretty good job of it previously and I never felt he took sides (at least in moderating), despite our own disagreements on political issues. Nick and Darran don't appear to be taking sides (thankfully), but seem to be a lot more urgent about closing threads prematurely.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:24 am

Have to agree.

I did not see anything that was over the top or anything to worry about in either thread.

Whats worse is everyone is a little clueless as to the exact parts that were offensive or breached the rules, so no clarification, and I even asked what we should be avoiding before the thread got locked and got no response.

So threads locked, no explanation, and ignoring any requests for clarification to avoid it in the future.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Debate is fine, but dont berate others for not agreeing
Then spin it over into other threads

Even if at times that other thread was like an endless loop of the same conversation

Nothing is keeping you on this forum.................

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:34 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Even if at times that other thread was like an endless loop of the same conversation

There was nothing wrong with the thread.

Whats the matter Prin, you seem angry about something. are you saying that any time someone does not like something on the forum they should leave rather than mention it.

Seems a little dramatic.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:37 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:34 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 pm

There was nothing wrong with the thread.

Whats the matter Prin, you seem angry.

But it is Monday and Mondays are like realising you ran out of Mr Freeze pops on a hot summers day

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:18 pm

Trust me, there are things I'd rather be doing with my weekend than intervening in your discussions.

The problem with threads on current issues such as the attacks is that they bring out the worst in us as a community - discussion quickly reaches a stagnant state in which nobody's viewpoint is shifting, but emotions are running so high that nobody is willing to let anyone else have the last word. That's when the attacks start flying, both personal and generalised, and reports were made on both the Manchester and London threads regarding offensive content. On balance, myself and Darran agreed that things had boiled over and that the best course of action was to lock the topic.

You might disagree, and that's fine as long as you understand that the final decision rests with us. What's not fine is then reviving a discussion from a locked topic in another topic, especially after we see it happening and warn you that it needs to stop.

Please remember that this first and foremost a forum about discussing retro games and Retro Gamer. Providing a space for no holds barred discussion of politics and current events isn't on our list of priorities.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for the response - maybe the answer is to simply remove the 'off topic' area?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 pm

The vast majority of off-topic discussion is healthy and it's a popular part of the forum. I'd rather not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Who was being attacked in the thread? Maybe I'm blind but I saw none of that.....

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Probs me, I do get leaped on when ever I try to take part in a debate instead of them trying to argue there points

Usually by the same two people