What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 30, 2017 1:03 pm

The sunburn I received at the weekend. Now you might say I should have used sunblock, which I did in large quantities. However whilst my head, neck and arms are still their usual pasty selves, I forgot I was wearing an unbuttoned polo shirt so have a bit red spot right between my collarbones.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue May 30, 2017 5:24 pm

News stories that decide to interview someone who was a couple of streets away and has absolutely nothing of value to add to the reader's/ watcher's understanding of what happened.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 am

Negative Creep wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:03 pm
The sunburn I received at the weekend. Now you might say I should have used sunblock, which I did in large quantities. However whilst my head, neck and arms are still their usual pasty selves, I forgot I was wearing an unbuttoned polo shirt so have a bit red spot right between my collarbones.
It actually gets hot in the UK? :P

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 am

For about 30 minutes one afternoon a year, yes. That's our summer.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed May 31, 2017 6:08 am

Don't know what everyone is moaning about.

In the past fortnight we have had a majority of hot summer days.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:37 am

This gum abscess. Dunno about gears but it's certainly making me grind my teeth.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm

The heat is okay if you aren't working in it or are fortunate enough to work in an air-conditioned office.

Last Friday, the van's dash was reading just above 30. No air-con and the orders I had to deliver were bigger and more numerous than ever due to the nice weather. It got to a point in the late afternoon when I just hit a wall and felt overheated. Absolutely horrible day.

Hate delivering to pubs and seeing loads of people drinking pints and looking on in amusement as if somebody delivering hundreds of kilos of stock on their own (with zero help from anybody at the premises) in blazing heat is funny.

Loved it when it absolutely p1ssed it down on Sunday afternoon.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 am

Carrot007 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:46 am
lupogtiboy wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 am
I was in my Lupo GTI which is lowered
Innapropriate for road use. If you can't go over 99% of speed humps at 30 mph you need a "better" car. :wink:
lupogtiboy wrote:
and has a upgraded exhaust
AKA an annoying noise box that reduces the efficiency off the car? :wink:
lupogtiboy wrote:
he thought I was a boy racer! Maybe when I was 18 officer.....
You sound like one. It an attitude not an age! :wink:

Not a car guy so don't see the point myself. By why lower cars if it makes you take speed bumps like a pensioner? And why reduce the efficiancy of the car by putting an exhaust on to make noise? I prefer my car to have a nice ride and be efficiant for the road! ;-)
When people try to tell me how I should have MY car! :lol: Its MY car so I'll do what I please to it. I guess its a car-persons thing. I can go over speed bumps, its not sooo low its impossible to drive, its just more fun! My exhaust isn't in your face loud either, its subtle but actually does improve the performance slightly, plus its stainless steel, so in theory, I shouldn't have to buy an exhaust for it ever again (this was originally my motivation for buying the exhaust in the first place!)

FWIW, I am not a boy racer either, you really can't get away with that sort of behaviour anymore, certainly not around my way! :D

No offence taken in your post, hope you're not offended by my reply, its all banter!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:59 am

lupogtiboy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 am
When people try to tell me how I should have MY car! :lol: Its MY car so I'll do what I please to it. I guess its a car-persons thing. I can go over speed bumps, its not sooo low its impossible to drive, its just more fun! My exhaust isn't in your face loud either, its subtle but actually does improve the performance slightly, plus its stainless steel, so in theory, I shouldn't have to buy an exhaust for it ever again (this was originally my motivation for buying the exhaust in the first place!)

FWIW, I am not a boy racer either, you really can't get away with that sort of behaviour anymore, certainly not around my way! :D

No offence taken in your post, hope you're not offended by my reply, its all banter!

Of course not, I was only jesting as you seemed to realise.

Not a car person myself! As long as it moves me about I'm happy. I do like driving though so you never know I may get there!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:27 pm

feminazi on social media.

feminazi and feminists are not the same thing, feminists are sensible (mostly), feminazi are sjw's with an axe to grind.

Example: posted on social media today.

women aren't crazy, men are d--ks (slang term for genitalia).
ok.........
so when one of my exes cheated on me, I finished with her, she went round telling people I begged her to get back with me (I threw my phone away as it broke and lost her number, I even had to stop going to certain bars as her and her partner would stand and glare at me until I left), that was my fault?

or the implication that men go round cat-calling. I had to google what it meant :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:34 pm

lupogtiboy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:51 am

I'm a car guy and I understand that people that don't like cars don't understand any sort of motivation beyond ''4 wheels and a seat''

I like cars, you whoever you are probably like something I don't like, as long as it isn't hurting anyone, have your fun. Let me enjoy cars, and no car racing is not just 'driving round in a circle' its my idea of fun (i run an online fantasy racing league), let me have my fun.

Same can be said about games, I was once told in front of a room filled with my colleagues that games were 'for kids', that this particular person's partner 'wouldn't be allowed' a console and that adults in game stores were 'immature' (this applied to both the customers and the staff).

Maybe my overall gear grind is certain hobbies being seen as invalid because they aren't what a particular person likes

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am

FFS, another place I liked has closed

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:25 am

GMMIK3 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 pm
fat people
Rude people

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 am

GMMIK3 wrote:
fat people
This seems at odds with your preference for big butts in the 'what have you been watching' thread ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:27 am
GMMIK3 wrote:
fat people
This seems at odds with your preference for big butts in the 'what have you been watching' thread ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: