What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 25, 2017 1:59 pm

People who are quick to ask for help and favours but absolutely want nothing to do with it when the roles are reversed and it's me that needs help.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Anything we can do to ease that?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Drivers who hog the road. Cars parked down the right hand side of the road causes drivers to cross onto my lane...i dont mind squeezing over so we can all pass BUT i get annoyed at those that cause you to almost either clip the pavement or drive over drains as they hog the whole road.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 pm
Drivers who hog the road. Cars parked down the right hand side of the road causes drivers to cross onto my lane...i dont mind squeezing over so we can all pass BUT i get annoyed at those that cause you to almost either clip the pavement or drive over drains as they hog the whole road.
I think the courteous thing to do is that if I'm the one that's going to have move across the centre lines because of an obstruction on my side of the road, you wait till traffic has passed before pulling out round it. It's just polite.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 am

Over-zealous police officers who follow me through a 30mph zone and then accuse me of speeding through it, even though I was doing bang-on 30mph. And it was past the local police station too, what am I stupid or something? I bet if I'd been driving my other car, a VW UP, they wouldn't have done a thing, but as I was in my Lupo GTI which is lowered and has a upgraded exhaust, he thought I was a boy racer! Maybe when I was 18 officer.....

Mind you, one of my neighbours has been hit with an £80 fine for driving without due care and attention, all he did was drive around several pot holes in the road. Stupid.
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:39 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 pm
You get a lot of that around here.

If there is enough room for two vehicles in the space then I just go and wait for the idiot to adjust their position.

If the parked car is on my side I am generally generous to anyone coming first.

Though if they are almost though and then I come along I will usually slow down to let them complete.

It's all silly wars. Like the idiot who goes though blocking up the road when he can see people waiting and he's right at the back and should give way. I may go though but I increase my speed to be up the arse of the previous car and not snail though so the same issue happens again!

CARS!

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:46 am

lupogtiboy wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 am
I was in my Lupo GTI which is lowered
Innapropriate for road use. If you can't go over 99% of speed humps at 30 mph you need a "better" car. :wink:
lupogtiboy wrote:
and has a upgraded exhaust
AKA an annoying noise box that reduces the efficiency off the car? :wink:
lupogtiboy wrote:
he thought I was a boy racer! Maybe when I was 18 officer.....
You sound like one. It an attitude not an age! :wink:

Not a car guy so don't see the point myself. By why lower cars if it makes you take speed bumps like a pensioner? And why reduce the efficiancy of the car by putting an exhaust on to make noise? I prefer my car to have a nice ride and be efficiant for the road! ;-)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat May 27, 2017 6:11 am

News.
It's just a load of biased, unsourced, unverifiable, opinionated, semi-credible, agenda-ridden bollocks these days. And everybody seems to take it all at face value.
Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's always been this way and the internet just magnifies it. Maybe I'm just getting too old to believe anything anymore.
I'm constantly amazed by what people will read and automatically believe without ever once asking where it comes from or who's saying it though. Another person's interpretation, or even opinion, becomes unquestionable fact without any thought occurring inbetween.

I guess as long as it props up your worldview, who cares?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 am

As people have mentioned before.

SJW's and liberals who are all for free speech and a voice and equality until they get their own way and seem to automatically get angry and indignant,

I know its the daily mail but this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dents.html

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 am

News.
It's just a load of biased, unsourced, unverifiable, opinionated, semi-credible, agenda-ridden bollocks these days. And everybody seems to take it all at face value.

Yep its all total crap now :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:21 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 am

SJW's and liberals who are all for free speech and a voice and equality until they get their own way and seem to automatically get angry and indignant,

indeed, the vile face of the fascist left, being exposed more and more in the last couple of years.

here's another example

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8842

the fascist left deciding that anything they disagree with is a "hate crime" or "hate speech".

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat May 27, 2017 11:38 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 11:21 am
RodimusPrime wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 am

indeed, the vile face of the fascist left, being exposed more and more in the last couple of years.

here's another example

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8842

the fascist left deciding that anything they disagree with is a "hate crime" or "hate speech".
Surely there are idiots on the far right and far left of the political spectrum.
Newpapers and media sites only highlight the ridiculous incidences that suit their own agenda... whichever side that is.
Most people on the left don't agree with the ridiculous things you've highlighted. Similarly most on the right don't agree with the more extreme pronouncements made by their idiot fringes.

I consider myself left of centre, but I think both of your highlighted articles show stupid blinkered people who don't understand what living in a free society means. I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it... as Voltaire probably didn't say.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:37 pm

I quite enjoy the blatantly biased media, be it the Guardian, Daily Mirror, Daily Mail, Fox News or Breitbart. Its often entertaining hearing two such polar opposite views and spin of the same story/news (should they decide to run it, which of course is not always the case). I read/watch the whole range and clearly remain pretty liberal (which is personally a relief that I'm not constantly freaking out at my own shadow). I'd imagine if I only were exposed to Breitbart and Fox my world view might be quite different, and i would probably be an angry paranoid chap, with few interests outside of immigration, Muslims and have a deep distrust in science, at least when it comes to global warming. I guess if the scientific community were to suggest Muslims were solely causing global warming, they'd likely have a lot more support from the Breitbart bunch.

News would be dull if it were just presenting facts with context and no spin... :?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat May 27, 2017 5:25 pm

When an interviewer asks "Can you put this into words?...." - would be an effing dull interview if they are unable to :roll:

When people say "I've got no words...." - and then carry on talking - so you do have words then :roll:

When people say "words can't describe...." - that's exactly what they can do, f*ckwit :roll:

Mong culture at it's worst.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Vanilla Lumina

Post by Vanilla Lumina » Mon May 29, 2017 7:09 am

When people judge others for stuff that happened in the past, people change rapidly especially after the age of 13 or so, though I'm not much different from how I was in 2016 I was willing to give someone a chance while other people wouldn't...

It bugs me that people can't leave past things in the past and look to the future, especially where others are concerned.