What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:As somebody who works in retail, I can say "bollocks" to going 24/7. I've just worked a full shift today and while I don't really care about being off specifically for Easter, I've still missed out on stuff because of being at work for barely any customers coming in. It's easy to say that shops should do this and that if you don't work in the sector but if you did then you'd soon stop demanding more opening hours and extended opening times. I certainly wouldn't go around saying that people working in offices should be manning the phones all day, every day. If those places are allowed to shut down for Sundays and bank holidays then so should retail businesses.
It's strange actually - because just remembering back to before Sunday trading came into practise - everyone seemed to be able to get on with their lives without it. If you go to the continent, they close pretty much all their shops on a Sunday, and they seem fine. It just seems to be the British who want it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 am

my last job had me working on public holidays. I didn't mind it personally.. tbh though in terms of being a customer I really prefer to shop at times which are dead, its my idea of hell going to places when its really busy. I often shop in the middle of the night as it makes me less anxious. :)
what I do think should be done (although I have no idea how to implement it,just thinking out loud) is that everyone who is working should get some standard amount of mandatory holiday every year but with the freedom to choose when they take it off, rather than everyone having the same day off which sometimes causes chaos in jobs when everyone decides they want the day off. I witnessed my manager having a mini breakdown because everyone suddenly decided they wanted the day off on a public holiday and she had no one other than a few of us to fill the roles. I understand that its frustrating for some people to work on public holidays there seems like there needs to be some resolution to this so both sides are happy, not much being done though..

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 am

You know I'm mostly kidding ;-).

I did used to believe opening hours should be much more though, but that was before internet shopping.

Amazon and pretty much anything next day any day is fine by me, and often better with prime now!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 pm

become events crew

Bank holidays are just an annoyance as everywhere is closed when you finish

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:09 pm

The rising cost of retro.
As long as the cost of retro keeps rising there'll be no end to threads featuring retro collectors whining about the rising cost of retro. A truly sad state of affairs.
I think the only way to stop it is if everybody in the world had less money than the retro collectors. A difficult situation to bring about because retro collectors only ever seem to have 98p in available funds. It's all a bit of a mess really.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:33 pm

The Beans wrote:The rising cost of retro.
As long as the cost of retro keeps rising there'll be no end to threads featuring retro collectors whining about the rising cost of retro. A truly sad state of affairs.
I think the only way to stop it is if everybody in the world had less money than the retro collectors. A difficult situation to bring about because retro collectors only ever seem to have 98p in available funds. It's all a bit of a mess really.
It just seems to be the way that it is. I suspect a lot of retro stuff is getting quite rare nowadays and that's only going to get worse as machines suffer wear and tear, and break down over time.

I don't know how many retroshops there are left. It seems with the internet, that sort of business can't really survive.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

^^^ Honestly, I'd be all for going digital-only and that's something I'd never say. Problem is that online stores/services are nowhere near comprehensive enough and all systems aren't suitably represented with spot-on emulation. Also, unless all the licensing crap ever goes away (which it won't) certain games will never be re-released.

___

Anyway, my moan for today is posting stuff to Canada. Trying to get rid of most of my gaming-related figurines and somebody on ebay located in Canada won one. Unfortunately, it seems you aren't allowed to send anything to Canada as most things are deemed dangerous. Figurines and toys come under that umbrella because the plastic involved may be flammable. The only way around it is to outright lie on customs declaration which I'm not willing to do in case the item gets destroyed by border control and I end up doubly out of pocket after refunding the buyer. I can't research every individual country when offering international shipping to see who I can and can't post to. It's their rules so fair enough but the simply task of sending a parcel is just turning into a major headache.

Also, o2/Sky broadband getting slower and slower every day :evil: Youtube videos keep playing at blurry, low quality with loads of buffering then sometimes they are fine. This didn't used to happen so are Sky limiting the speed?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am

Older People constantly mocking and making fun of youngsters about to leave school or starting college about how useless they all are, when its the generation they belong to have left the country a shithole for them to inherit in the first place.

They are hardly in a position to talk about how censored an entire generation is.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:34 pm

When lazy pricks get away with doing bugger all because "I hurt my shoulder"
You drove to work
You are holding your phone up to your ear all day
You are also lifting a brew with that arm
And your gym bag

And im expected to cover his work load?

Ok ill do nothing on his section while hes off sick

Anyway

Been whitening a few consoles
just done a Dreamcast and just before I put it back together I notice this

FLUBBERNUTTER!!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:56 am

My xbox one. Every time I decide to have a quick game, there is an update. This mornings was a 40gb update, had killer instict forxmas, put that in back then to install, it says network install of 45gb and it looks like its downloading a game or spmething 45gb in size...what the hell is the disc for then? Buggger that i thought thats probably why i paused the dload back xmas time, ill have a go at a level on gears 4. Update of 5gbneeded.

I think its time i got rid of it, ive spent more time updating games than i have played them.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 am

My xbox one. Every time I decide to have a quick game, there is an update. This mornings was a 40gb update, had killer instict forxmas, put that in back then to install, it says network install of 45gb and it looks like its downloading a game or spmething 45gb in size...what the hell is the disc for then? Buggger that i thought thats probably why i paused the dload back xmas time, ill have a go at a level on gears 4. Update of 5gbneeded.

I think its time i got rid of it, ive spent more time updating games than i have played them

Both the PS4 and Xone are just as bad with this. I fired up my Xone the other day.

O/S update
Then install the game I want to play
Then install the updates for the game I want to play

Its a joke, games and 'updates' are getting bigger all the time and my internet is not getting any faster
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Don't you allow updates in rest mode? Saves helluva lot of time.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:09 pm

rocky1980 wrote:

I think its time i got rid of it, ive spent more time updating games than i have played them

Both the PS4 and Xone are just as bad with this. I fired up my Xone the other day.

O/S update
Then install the game I want to play
Then install the updates for the game I want to play

Its a joke, games and 'updates' are getting bigger all the time and my internet is not getting any faster
this is the one thing that worries me more than anything about a new console

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:39 pm

I only get an update and installs the first time I play a game, after that its very rare I get any sort of update.

People are acting like every game updates every time you play it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:03 pm

People that dont move then you say "Excuse me" then complain when you have to push past them