What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Megamixer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:59 pm

People who do this at roundabouts:

Image

Coming up the inside, F1 style, on a roundabout to go straight on, when I'm going straight on in the correct lane. The inside lane is for going right or back around the roundabout but anybody with a driving licence should know that, right? Apparently not. The set-up for such a sh*t-headed move is usually always the same: car stopped in the straight-on lane pulls onto the roundabout after giving way to traffic already on it; the driver coming up behind decides that because he/she has a 'run' on the car in front and is carrying more speed, that they can shoot up the inside and taking a racing line of sorts to go straight-on.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by markopoloman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Those arseholes really annoy me. But when I'm in my big people carrier (with a Nissan 350Z engine), I just love to put my foot down a completely feck up their attempt.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
thingonaspring
Posts: 1890
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 am

markopoloman wrote:Those arseholes really annoy me. But when I'm in my big people carrier (with a Nissan 350Z engine), I just love to put my foot down a completely feck up their attempt.
Do you have an Elgrand? I was thinking of getting one...

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:12 am

thingonaspring wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Those arseholes really annoy me. But when I'm in my big people carrier (with a Nissan 350Z engine), I just love to put my foot down a completely feck up their attempt.
Do you have an Elgrand? I was thinking of getting one...
Yes indeed I do! :mrgreen: Had mine for about 8 years - one of the first E51 models to come over. Looking a bit battered now but they are lovely cars to drive and very comfy. MPG is, shall we say, not exactly good :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24743
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Figuring out video editing programs that HAVE to make doing simple things annoying

Bloody Windows movie maker has the right idea, but it does bugger all

User avatar
mrmessy
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:06 am
Location: The middle of England
Contact:

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by mrmessy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:34 pm

It turns out that I now find the Amiga being referred to as the "Miggy", worthy of much tutting and negativity.

I would perhaps accept it, if it took a lot less time to type, but a quick count of the letters involved would suggest that this is not the case.
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

English Invader
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by English Invader » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

mrmessy wrote:It turns out that I now find the Amiga being referred to as the "Miggy", worthy of much tutting and negativity.

I would perhaps accept it, if it took a lot less time to type, but a quick count of the letters involved would suggest that this is not the case.
I don't like that nickname either. Amiga - five letters, three syllables, not difficult to use.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:11 pm

I've said it before, but trains with 10+ carriages, half of them 1st class. The 1st class seats are mainly empty, whilst the standard class are packed, often with people standing.

Also trains with only 2 or 3 carriages at the busiest times of the day. Every day they are ram-packed full of commuters, yet the trains never get any extra carriages to cover the KNOWN demand.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24743
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm

The cafe in work has stopped selling bacon buttys, blaming "lack of demand"
well they did put the price up by a quid

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24743
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 am

When someones unnecessarily bitchy

Get back in building after putting my rubbish out, take poilistarine container towards the cage, see other workers struggling with 3 big grey skips, I cant get past, so put container down and before I place it on the floor "Dont leave that there"
So I try to reply "I was just putting it down to give you a hand as I cant get past " and while I am trying to say that
"I DONT CARE I WORK HARD TO KEEP THIS CORRIDOR CLEAN NOW GET OUT OF THE WAY!"
"Well I was going to give you a hand but if your gonna be like that bollocks to you"
<Insert more yelling>
Just blocked it out

User avatar
rocky1980
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:24 am
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:58 pm

It turns out that I now find the Amiga being referred to as the "Miggy", worthy of much tutting and negativity.
I am with you on this one. Whats wrong with using the correct name
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Analog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:37 pm

the fact it is so much hassle sometimes to do little things. tried to search for some games on steam, the search function isn't working, tested it over and over and then decided I should contact them so they are aware of the problem. look through steam to try and find "contact steam" link. nothing!.. go into support, takes me to a wizard which has nothing about my actual problem I am encountering. try the web, find a forum post about it that talks about taking a ticket to contact them. copy the address and paste it into an address bar, need to sign into steam on browser. sign in, asks me to provide a code "access from a new web or mobile device"... go into email to find the code, sign in, go to address, address doesn't exist anymore and it defaults back to the wizard. fffffffffffffuuuuuu.
all this faffing about took about 20 minutes.

why do some companies make it so difficult to do simple flippin stuff!? its like we have gone backwards. this isn't the only place where things take so long and is so difficult, playing games on ps3 sometimes takes ages when you haven't turned on the console in a while. going through loads of signing in, downloading psn updates, installing, rebooting, signing in downloading game fixes, installing, rebooting. I turn on my megadrive and I am playing in less than a minute... there has been times when I thought great new game will put it on, then I see how I have to go through all this crap and decide to think, you know what? I can't be bothered! and I turn it off... I lost enthusiasm for playing a game in the time it takes to get around to playing! :lol: :roll:
I only play in short bursts and when I really feel like playing a game, all this slowing down just kills my buzz for playing.

its not just tech either I tried to do a mail collect service and found that was a flipping nightmare and I had to go through loads of stuff just to try and get my mail sent somewhere else. contacting a specific department for department of work and pensions has often been a ridiculous case of phoning numbers, transferring to departments, put on hold, given other numbers or all manner of long drawn out steps and procedures when I just want to do something simple.

User avatar
Sega2006
Posts: 6246
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: Stevenage

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Automated voice reconition systems on IVR's with no skip function.

Its annoying enough talking to a machine but when you are near mute with screwed throat muscles its tourture and when you get to the poor sod who answers the phone it sounds like you are someting out of a horror movie.
Watching you sleep since 1990

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Analog wrote:playing games on ps3 sometimes takes ages when you haven't turned on the console in a while. going through loads of signing in, downloading psn updates, installing, rebooting, signing in downloading game fixes, installing, rebooting. I turn on my megadrive and I am playing in less than a minute... there has been times when I thought great new game will put it on, then I see how I have to go through all this crap and decide to think, you know what? I can't be bothered! and I turn it off... I lost enthusiasm for playing a game in the time it takes to get around to playing!
Worst bit with PS3 is using the store after not having used the console for a while:

1. Access store > system update required
2. Download update > install update
3. Reboot
4. Sign into store again > store update required
5. Download update > install update
6. Reboot...AGAIN
7. Sign in...AGAIN
8. Deal with the crappy, slow, clunky PS Store layout with its useless search function. Surely one of these updates should fix this?!?

PS4 has proved to be pretty annoying as well given the size of some of the update downloads for games but I do have a pretty crappy internet speed so I can't lay it all at the console's door. Notable PS3/PS4 highlights for me include:

1. Spending so long downloading updates for PS3 GTA V that I had no time to play the game that day and had to leave it.
2. Taking 4 days of pausing/un-pausing just to get Yakuza 5 downloaded on PS3
3. 2 days to download Street Fighter V updates on PS4.

Unfortunately though, this is just how it is! I tend to read a magazine or do something else while these updates are in progress.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Analog
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by Analog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Analog wrote:playing games on ps3 sometimes takes ages when you haven't turned on the console in a while. going through loads of signing in, downloading psn updates, installing, rebooting, signing in downloading game fixes, installing, rebooting. I turn on my megadrive and I am playing in less than a minute... there has been times when I thought great new game will put it on, then I see how I have to go through all this crap and decide to think, you know what? I can't be bothered! and I turn it off... I lost enthusiasm for playing a game in the time it takes to get around to playing!
Worst bit with PS3 is using the store after not having used the console for a while:

1. Access store > system update required
2. Download update > install update
3. Reboot
4. Sign into store again > store update required
5. Download update > install update
6. Reboot...AGAIN
7. Sign in...AGAIN
8. Deal with the crappy, slow, clunky PS Store layout with its useless search function. Surely one of these updates should fix this?!?

PS4 has proved to be pretty annoying as well given the size of some of the update downloads for games but I do have a pretty crappy internet speed so I can't lay it all at the console's door. Notable PS3/PS4 highlights for me include:

1. Spending so long downloading updates for PS3 GTA V that I had no time to play the game that day and had to leave it.
2. Taking 4 days of pausing/un-pausing just to get Yakuza 5 downloaded on PS3
3. 2 days to download Street Fighter V updates on PS4.

Unfortunately though, this is just how it is! I tend to read a magazine or do something else while these updates are in progress.
yea that's where the main frustrations I encounter seem to be. there is a lot of steps for dl/install/reboot which I do find frustrating, I think I may need to adjust my expectations? I have just become so used to fast loading since megadrive, then ps1, gamecube (bit of cd reading loading but nothing too bad) then to go from that to ps3. its almost like stepping back to the era where I used to load tapes to my 464, back then I knew it would be ages and it was part and parcel of getting a game to work, so I accepted it and was not bothered. now it feels like the tech is there to load fast it's just everything is compromised by modern inconveniences. like game fixes, which back in the day would have been done before the game went out the door!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests