What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RodimusPrime

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:46 pm

David wrote:A plane full of black gay cripples just to make all the perma-offended''s heads implode
Change gay for Transgender, that's the current cool thing for people to be offended about. Gay is so last year.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:46 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
David wrote:A plane full of black gay cripples just to make all the perma-offended''s heads implode
Change gay for Transgender, that's the current cool thing for people to be offended about. Gay is so last year.
Last year is soooooooooooooo 2015

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:18 pm

The paralympics, more specifically, just how much the TV, media and sponsors have been banging on about it relentlessly. I'm all for the concept and the equality but it seems like the TV is so desperate to show us that they are so pro-equality. It's probably worse than the build-up to the regular games...

Still, I do like that event with the wheelchairs flying off ramps and doing 360's in the air etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 pm

^ NHS outpatient ward?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:45 am

I recycle almost everything, unlike last year

Still end up with a bin bag full every two weeks

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:10 pm

People who think that stopping drinking alcohol for a month is a big deal. If you find that hard then you have a problem. Oh look at me I am not dinking for a whole month , look at me I keep talking about it on social media. Please donate on my just giving page !!!!! censored off, why don't you give all the money you would have spent on alcohol to charity I am sure that will be way more than any money you raise through just giving. Its like the whole world has turned into narcissists.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Not being able to buy beer due to the bike weight limit
Cycling with liquids is not fun as they sway

Also
Forgetting to put beetroot in my salad, knew it was missing something

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:33 pm

first of all sorry to sscott and any other teachers on here.

What grinds my gears- teachers and their attitudes to school uniform.

When I was at school (I started in 1992) we were given a list of uniform items a mile long (only slightly exaggerating), the whole lot came to £300+ and thats in 1992 :roll: Being a teenager during my school days I grew out of things before they were knackered, so more expense.

Then there were the petty rules:
* blazers worn at all times
* no tracksuit pantss for p.e (even if outdoors in winter and bloody freezing)
* no trendy haircuts (and by trendy it meant anything except short back and sides was outlawed)

Did it prepare me for the world of work? did it heck, I havent worn a uniform for work for nearly 11 years, even then it was a company provided top and my own pants and shoes.

So with this in mind my newsfeed on fartbook has been full of this, and arrogant teachers (not representative of the whole profession) saying how uniforms are the greatest thing ever and how schools would descend into chaos without them.

Bs, complete and utter bs. Kids need to understand the world is full of people that look different, they have crap trainers, rubbish clothes and terrible hair, and thats fine, whats bad is hassling them for it. Do your lessons, pass your exams, get a job and do whatever the heck you want without hassling people.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:10 pm

^^^ I would have to respectfully disagree and say that everybody wearing the same immediately eliminates the possibilty for the loaded, trendy types to rock up in their designer outfit and take the p!ss out of less well-off kids for having "crap clothes". It was always bad enough on the 1 or 2 'non uniform' days when every single kid was eyeing up the next one and judging one another based on their clothes, trying to remember if the kid across the playground had worn that same shirt last time which - of course - would make him an "OMG what a f****** tramp". Kids can be cruelest of all and these sorts of event days just gave them more ammunition! I think it would be a bit of a disaster if kids could wear what they wanted...just my two cents (or two pennies since we're here in the UK after all).

Also, it helps install a smidgen of disclipine, knowing there are consequences for not showing up in the correct attire and there isn't enough of that in schools anymore with the kids totally in charge.

I remember the uniform enforcement starting to slip in my last couple of years with boys sneaking in with trainers on and whining about being sent home (seriously, you KNEW this would happen) and girls dressing more revealingly which was obviously a great thing for a lad such as myself at that age but when you look back on it now, you can see that uniform does do a job.

Pretty sure the less well-off families on benefits get uniform grants anyway?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 pm

The school I went to was the type that would have made most in the papers seem like an ultra laid back place, it made not one inch of difference.

Kids are vicious little swines and even with uniform of the strictest type, they will find a reason to pick on the other kids.

I should know, I was lucky enough to have decent stuff, but with partial blindness and a disability that meant p.e was a struggle, I was always going to get ribbed.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:39 pm

I went to a school which didn't require you to wear a uniform. There was a bit of the usual nastiness/competitiveness people have alluded to when we first joined, but after a fairly short period of time people basically just started accepting that people wear different things. Heck, there were some people who started out firmly associating with one style and changed completely to another as time went on.

This also meant there wasn't really the feeling of anyone being 'cheap' - I frequently went to school with old pairs of ripped jeans and massive t-shirts (yeah, I was a skater...) and people would just pass it off as whatever style you were in to.

Also - yes this was in the UK, and no, it wasn't a disaster. :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Fair enough. I just personally went to a school where you were a laughing stock depending on your trainers (and other stupid shite like that).

But at the end of the day, you go to school to learn so it annoys me when you see these parents moaning because they believe their kids should be going to school to "have fun". Maybe that would explain why so many kids leave school today feeling entitled to a "fun" working life? I don't know.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:00 am

I am 100% behind the teachers and head teachers in the Uniform argument. The rules are set - you follow them. My kids go to schools with strict uniform rules and the school will send pupils home for not being correctly dressed. Some of the girls turning up at the start of this new term looked like they were out on the pull! Skirts not below the knee... off you go dear. Nike jacket instead of a blazer? Cheerio lad.
Discipline is needed but schools generally are far to scared to dare say anything to offend a pupil (or god forbid, a parent). But tough! If there is a school uniform code, then bloody well follow it - don't go crying to the Sun - it just makes people laugh at you.

I expect my children to look smart and behave well at all times at school. I expect my children to also dress according to where they are going when not at school.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

David

Post by David » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:40 am

In my school you could wear whatever you wanted. FFS half the time I went with my homework in a kwik-save carrier bag :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 am

David wrote:In my school you could wear whatever you wanted. FFS half the time I went with my homework in a kwik-save carrier bag :lol:
You did your homework you big jessie :lol:

School uniforms and stupid rules like ‘no skirts above the knee‘ that have no bearing on learning are archaic and outmoded, having no place in the modern world. If schools require a uniform, it should be provided by the school, for free. Just like work. By all means have a dress code, but make it realistic and representative of the world of work. By that, I mean accepting there are those whole will stretch its limits by, shock, horror, doing things like revealing knees. Dealing with wuch major issues should be no more than a quiet word in private to recommend the lines are toed.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.