What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroAerosmith

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Condensed Aerosols.

All i can find these days are the condensed mini size cans of deodorant. I prefer Sure and i cant understand how these small cans are better value for money. There is probably some scientific nonsense but my head doesnt equate that its a better option.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:Condensed Aerosols.

All i can find these days are the condensed mini size cans of deodorant. I prefer Sure and i cant understand how these small cans are better value for money. There is probably some scientific nonsense but my head doesnt equate that its a better option.
They're sold on the idea of the same amount of product being compressed into a small can to save materials and be 'green'. In reality, consumers don't give a crap if an aerosol is green as long as they get what they want from it. I don't believe they have ever been sold/advertised as a way of saving money.

Doesn't bother me personally anyway as I just stick with the big Right Guard or Addidas sprays anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:10 am

Megamixer wrote:
It is! I wouldn't expect somebody else to have to deal with my waste just like I get pissed off when other people leave a big dump rotting at the bottom of the bowl.

What about those stubborn bits of toilet paper that catch an air pocket that just won't go down first time (but everything else does)?? Sometimes one may not be bothered to wait for the toilet water tank to refill for that second flush to complete the job(bie).

Perhaps we should have toilets like in Japan, with the water jets creating that bidet effect - and stop using dry tissues which block up toilet drains so often. Lets face it, toilet paper is fairly useless, as its dry. High powered warm soapy water jets are the way forward (and not in a pervy way!)

shinymcshine

Post by shinymcshine » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:32 am

Megamixer wrote: They're sold on the idea of the same amount of product being compressed into a small can to save materials and be 'green'.
This is the part that I don't understand. Wouldn't it be better therefore to compress it, but put it in the original size can, so it lasted for much longer, during which time you now you have to buy several smaller cans, thus they're not being "green" at all ?

I'm guessing this is collision between product development and marketing (i.e. how do we market something if its the same size container, yet since its condensed we'd have to sell it for more?)
Last edited by shinymcshine on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:42 am

shinymcshine wrote:
Megamixer wrote: They're sold on the idea of the same amount of product being compressed into a small can to save materials and be 'green'.
This is the part that I don't understand. Wouldn't it be better therefore to compress it, but put it in the original size can, so it lasted for much longer, during which time you now you have to buy several smaller cans, thus they're not being "green" at all ?
Welcome to business, you are probabliy getting less for the same price

Unlike with cream eggs where you are getting 5 instead of 6
And the ever shrinking chocolate bars because THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

after all its the chocolates fault they are getting fat, not because the parents cant say "No"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:14 pm

shinymcshine wrote:

I'm guessing this is collision between product development and marketing (i.e. how do we market something if its the same size container, yet since its condensed we'd have to sell it for more?)
Well if it's compressed, it's the same amount of product so you shouldn't use it any faster though I've not used one of these 'compressed' cans myself so I can't comment on what it's like.

The only winners are the manufacturers really; cram the same amount of deodrant into a smaller can that costs less money to make (due to less material involved) and charge the same price for it. While coming across as 'green' and 'environmentally conscious' at the same time!

Of course, what WE want is more deodrant compressed into a regular size can for the same price but that is never gonna happen.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Car failing it MOT and having to fork out £400 :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:10 pm

i use sure as well and those compressed cans are so annoying!!

makes me all the more determined to find them on offer

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Jason Bourne (The new film)

While the film is fine and I have no real issues with it, it just that the whole thing is rather............pointless. A Bit like the The Boure Legacy, the film is a similar retread with Bourne on the run, Government spooks staring at monitors, while a CIA boss (aren't they running low on these by now) barking orders. At least Legacy tried something a little different.

I think my main gripe is the original trilogy is near perfect with each film providing a beginning, middle and an end. There was no real need for another film. The only other 'perfect' trilogy I can think of would be Back to the Future. It's tainted the series with a cash grab sequel.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:17 am

When the company you work for which sells cloud backup and disaster recovery solutions as part of it's portfolio doesn't have a cloud backup or disaster recovery policy in place.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:14 pm

When the company you work for which sells cloud backup and disaster recovery solutions as part of it's portfolio doesn't have a cloud backup or disaster recovery policy in place.
Are you still running XP also :lol:

For myslef

The little fucker who just tried to scam me on eBay, he claimed that he did not receive the item. Ok fair enough apart from the fact I sent it recorded and was signed for at the buyers home address by the buyer. :evil:
Rocky

Image Image

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:49 am

the NJPW world site
Why no button that auto translates it to English? They know theres a lot of none Japanese reading fans using the site
Google translate works when it wants to

Trying to understand how much something weights
A trailer that can take upto 60kg?
How meany CRTs is that?
Is that my bag of equipment when packed?

David

Post by David » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:54 am

Commuters with those huge metal attention seeking coffee flasks on the train or walking through town

Here's a tip. Get up 5 min earlier and have your coffee!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:38 am

Commuters with those huge metal attention seeking coffee flasks on the train or walking through town

Buts thats all part of the 'look me, I work at an important job doing important things' generation.
Rocky

Image Image

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:39 am

men with beards and thick black rimmed glasses. You are not hip or cool you look like a tosser
Rocky

Image Image