pc power supply question

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Neilos626

pc power supply question

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:32 am

My powe supply died last week, I have bought another from ebay, however it does not have enough connectors running from it to power all my components. If I cut the wires from a double connector from my all power supply and cuts the wires from a single connector on my new power supply, then join the cut wires together using a speaker wire connector, will it work?
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

FatTrucker

Re: pc power supply question

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:36 am

Better off just buying a proper splitter rather than hacking something together. Was it a cheap power supply? as most come with various adapters, splitters and and extension cables in the box.

Its usually ok unless you have a low rated power supply or a particularly high dependency system (sexy graphics cards, multiple DVD burners etc). Again though, when you're talking about something that connects with (and can blow) all of the other hardware in your PC, I would always use a proper connector rather than doing a hack job.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

necronom

Re: pc power supply question

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:17 pm

What he said ^

Definitely buy a splitter or two. They are only about a pound each. See HERE.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V