Retro Gaming TV show on Sky/Freesat

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

witchfinder

Retro Gaming TV show on Sky/Freesat

Post by witchfinder » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:41 am

Just sharing info posted on the JAMMA+ forum for anyone interested. I have no idea what the show is like but I'm gonna check it out today...
I do a retro video game TV show on Sky and Freesat called "Guru Larry's Retro Corner" It's on all this month and caters various different games each week (new episode this saturday)

I thought you might be interested, but this Saturday (14th August) it's a special all about retrospectives on various arcade games, stuff like the history on Renegade, Chase HQ Etc. So though it might take your fancy.

Anyhoo, if you're interested it's on three channels every day all week:

12:30pm on Information TV (Sky Channel 166 & Freesat Channel 402)

Noon on Showcase TV (Sky Channel 201 & Freesat Channel 403)

and 8pm on Showcase 2 (Sky Channel 216)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

sscott

Re: Retro Gaming TV show on Sky/Freesat

Post by sscott » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:16 am

Will give it a try. Have never, ever selected 'Information TV' on my sky remote! :lol:

David

Post by David » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:20 am

this used to be on about a year ago. every time i watched it, it was the same duck tales episode

That guru larry guy has been on here before

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 am

I accidently caught the Chase HQ one this morning. Not too bad, but a little outdated, especially when the Guru Larry is doing an Area 51 retrospective because Blacksite on the Xbox 360 and PS3 has just been released. So it's at least 2 years old.

Plus there is full commentary at the beginning of the Chase HQ retrospective, but then when it's going through the different home versions, there's nothing. Just completly silent, and no description of what version we are looking at (although the Speccy version is pretty obvious lol).

I like Guru Larry, and he can be funny sometimes but the show was not the greatest. Bring back Gamesmaster! lol
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am

I saw them all years ago when larry was on x-league.
Hey remember how x-league sounded awesome but then it ended up being rubbish and went bust?

sonicsring

Post by sonicsring » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:05 pm

Their all on retrowaretv.net as well. That sites good value and theres quite a few british video makers on there as well as larry.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 pm

I'm not on Sky or Freesat, just Virgin - no TV show for me, ah well. Is he that guy who's shed got flooded?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

sonicsring

Post by sonicsring » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:55 am

Yes the poor guy lost nearly his whole collection. Get on retrowaretv.net to see them. Theres other people on there as well and theyre all quite good

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 pm

watched this for the first time yesterday, absolute crap
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Guru Larry

Post by Guru Larry » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks for plugging the show here witchfinder.

Yeah, there was a problem with the Chase HQ part, I edited an earlier version of the video as I had to cut out the "Xleague" name I mentioned. But for some odd reason the second half of the vocal was missing. I did send them a fixed version, but it seems to alternate between the old and new one for some odd reason. Not to worry though, there's a new ep tomorrow!

As for it being "absolute crap", thank Xleague for that for doing really stupid nonsensical edits and re-writing some of the scripts. Same thing with our Top Tens. We got comments about the humour being forced. But if you watch some of the stuff I've done for the net rather than Xleague, You'll see a difference.

I did a feature on horrific 70's British Public Information films for That Guy With The Glasses a few weeks ago, this is on Apaches:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/bt/gur ... p1-apaches

I think you'll notice the difference in writing quality.

freemonk

Post by freemonk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 pm

Larry, well that explains the sudden silence on the on Chase HQ segment! :lol:

Any chance of you replacing that irritating cow on that show Gameface shown on Bravo everyweek? She think she's funny and cool, but she comes across as desperate.
WANTED: Spiderman: Web of Shadows (X360) / Mario Party 4 to 7 (GC) / Pikmin 2 (GC) / Muscle Bomber (SFC) / Bonkers (SNES) / Nosferatu (SNES) / Scramble (Vectrex) / Einhander (PS1) / Patapon 3 (PSP) / Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii)

Guru Larry

Post by Guru Larry » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:52 pm

LMAO I'd like to but apparently they don't like me very much. I made a post on some forum saying it's quite possibly the worst gaming show in history, even managing to beat Gamezville and they read it and got a bit stroppy with me. though they were ignoring my emails long before that.

We did actually pitch a retro gaming show to them once back in 2006, but they turned it down on the spot as they said retro games didn't look "sexy". Seriously.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Not a retro show but not bad. Gaming Gents on Channel 203 (channel M)

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:56 am

freemonk wrote:Any chance of you replacing that irritating cow on that show Gameface shown on Bravo everyweek? She think she's funny and cool, but she comes across as desperate.
She used to be on Rockworld TV too. Think she's just a mediawhore as I remember getting more and more frustrated at her ignorance and trying to look like she's part of the "metal scene" rather than just interviewing bands and at least having some form of research done. "Hi I'm with Tarja and Tuomas from Nightwish (aprx two years after she'd been fired), so Tarja, what's your inspiration behind your lyrics?" *facepalm*

There's awkward on camera and there's presenting something just for the cash (it's just a job afterall) but at least pretend you want to be actually doing it.

*almost got a presenting role on Gamezville, was told he didn't look "hip" or "gamer" enough* Kind of relieved I didn't after seeing the end product!