Do you have too many games to play?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MarkTheMorose

Do you have too many games to play?

Post by MarkTheMorose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:26 pm

... across too many systems too.

You know, I've never actually sat down and played Super Mario Bros, or Sonic, or or or.... Just plugged them in to test that they're working once received from eBay, then left feedback, and forgotten about them. :?

I never had a NES or Mega Drive back when they were current, I was into computers rather than consoles, and had a C64 and Amiga during that time.

clarance

Re: Do you have too many games to play?

Post by clarance » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is for me - but one day I'll get round to playing them, maybe if I get to retire...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Of course, most of us do! :D
A few here just do one or two systems plus emulation. Not everyone has the space (or inclination) that some of us nutters do. I have around 1000 original games and 40 systems and don't care if I play them all, nice having the choice and just picking something off the shelf. This is a common thread but therein highlights a common problem amongst the 'collectors' on the forum.

Don't worry about it! :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Yeah sort of.

I don't have the biggest collection but I do often buy games to play in the future, rather than immediately. I know I'll play them, but not sure exactly when, but as most of them are keepers there's no rush really.

I'm currently finishing POP: Two Thrones, after which I still have to finish:

Sonic Adventure 2
A Link to the Past
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metroid Prime 3
Mario Stikers Charged
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
FF: Chrystal Chronicles
Viewtiful Joe
Ocarina of Time
F-Zero GX

These are games I have on my "to play" pile:

Mario Galaxy 2 (not played yet!)
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks (never played before)
NSMB DS
Mario Kart DS
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (never played before)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (never played before)
Chibi Robo (never played before)
Four Swords Adventures (this time with a GBA SP as my controller)
Minish Cap (never player before)
Luigi's Mansion

There may be more I can't think of, and I play Winning Eleven 6: FE and WWf No Mercy frequently too.

When I get the time to plough through all these I'm gonna be in heaven :D
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Erm... about 600 or so spread across PS2, PS1, 360, Wii, Gamecube & XBOX :oops:

Then there's a load of retro stuff I want to play but still haven't got round to.

I think my problem is a short attention span... I'll play the first couple of missions/levels and then get distracted by another game and then another and another... and on it goes :(

MarkTheMorose

Post by MarkTheMorose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:17 pm

It's nice to know I'm not the only one, then! Apart from the VCS, I missed the entire 8-, 16-, 32- and 64-bit console generations 'first time around'.

I still sort of feel like a bluffer, though: liking the odd retro game but never having played Mario and Sonic!
pratty wrote:... I do often buy games to play in the future, rather than immediately. I know I'll play them, but not sure exactly when, but as most of them are keepers there's no rush really.
I do that a lot; I look at the type of games I like, and see what each unfamiliar system has to offer in that genre. The awkward bit comes with games that have releases across multiple systems: which one to go for?

I also like to get a launch title for each system if possible, and see how the later games developed.

One thing I think put me off console games is the Street Fighter-type of button mash-a-thon game; I was bought up on Way of The Exploding Fist, Barbarian (Palace), and IK+. Once game controllers got three or four buttons, I was lost and stopped liking beat-em-ups.

It's been fun rebuilding the collection of C64 games, adding to those for the Amiga, and making collections anew for the other sytems. One has to do something with one's time, after all.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Way too many games, way too many systems, nowhere near enough time. It doesn't really bother me though, when the day comes that I inevitably have more time on my hands, I can sit in my comfy games room and play though the hundreds of games that I want to. Properly. Finally. :) And besides, as said before on the forum, part of the fun of collecting isn't necessarily spending the amount of time you maybe should with some games - I take as much enjoyment in giving a game a chance, if it takes my fancy I'll then spend a lot more time with it. Not sure when I'll have the time to play all my games now I'm over 1650 but hey!

I am getting through my retro games at the moment though, giving the modern games a bit of a miss (due mainly to a slight dip in interest with them), and have made my way through some C64 games.

MarkTheMorose

Post by MarkTheMorose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Space_turnip wrote:... have made my way through some C64 games.
Anything there held your attention? And are you playing on a real C64, or emulating?

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:02 pm

MarkTheMorose wrote:
Space_turnip wrote:... have made my way through some C64 games.
Anything there held your attention? And are you playing on a real C64, or emulating?
Real thing (although I have cheated and just stuck a few games on via emulation so I know whether to bother going through the loading process ;)). Finally starting to get the C64, after a childhoos firmly entrenched in the Speccy side of things. Mainly been going through Sports games and Dizzy games, and whilst I think I still prefer Spectrum versions of Dizzy games (no doubt through nostalgia), at the moment the sports games are wowing me. My love of Olympic sports games seems far better served on the commodore machine!

Going to give Run the Gauntlet a good go this weekend; no need to emulate it first as it's one of my all time favourite Speccy games, so i'm hoping the Commodore version is even better.

Talking about going through old games though, i'm re-discovering a lot of my favourite old PC games in my games room now (in between remembering how annoying Windows 95 can be at times!) - they were games i thought i'd never play again, either due to compatability problems with new PC's or due to my PC being mainly an internet/modern games platform. Playing games like Descent 2, Screamer, Network Q, Thief, Civ 2, Settlers 2 et al is really nostalgic for me, and they seem to stand up, in general, a little better than console games do. Superb.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:29 am

I have far more games than I've played, with untold amounts still waiting for my attention.

But too many? Never ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 am

Yes. :D

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:56 am

Yes, way too many, I must have over 1000 games and various consoles, the GBA SP is the only one that get regular use on my commute. Everything else gets maybe tested then put in my big boxes ready for the day when I get a chance to play. Although recently having bought a house and realising all my time is likely to be taken up with the Garden and decorating, heaven knows when gaming is going to playing. I have started to chip away at my piles and the aim is half my collection, I've already purged about 50 dreamcast games, 100 Ps1 games and now 35 of my Nes games have gone onto ebay, because in all honesty I just can't ever see me getting to play them.

My problem is I like choice, I feel I must have some sort of massive library to pick and choose from when ever I feel like it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:32 am

Space_turnip wrote:
Going to give Run the Gauntlet a good go this weekend; no need to emulate it first as it's one of my all time favourite Speccy games, so i'm hoping the Commodore version is even better.
Not played the Speccy version but the C64 game was always in my machine as a kid!

Do I have too many games? Well yeah maybe, around 500 originals but I am slowly getting through them. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:09 am

"Actual" games that I own. No. I have a lot but if I stopped buying (im actually on a hiatus from buying games until after Christmas, exepct for EA MMA) I probably would get through them all eventually. Although with modern games obviously they are very time consuming. Currently going for 100% on the Saboteur which is taking ages but really enjoying it.

The main consoles I play are my PS1, PS2, Xbox and Xbox 360 and ive got several games in progress:

UFC 2010 career mode
Skate 3
Stranglehold
GOW
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
GTA Lost and Damned

Red Dead Revolver

Resevoir Dogs

Plus quite a few I havent even touched.

But on emulation ive got a stupid amount of games. Around 20,000. Plus loads of fruit machines and pinball to boot. And to be honest a lot are there just for the sake of it and apart from MAME my interest in "old" games isnt there at the moment really. More current gen at the moment.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:31 am

I have quite a modest collection, maybe a 100 or so games over 7 consoles and 3 handhelds but I can't imagine I'll get to play them anytime soon. Having little ones the day starts at 6am and and you're tied up until 7pm when they go to bed, after dinner and tidying the place up it's getting on for 9pm and I'm worn out by then, no time for a decent gaming session left. Especially since the siren call of the internet lures me in to potter around this place and do a bit of surfing on the information super highway.

I can't see my collection getting too much bigger, apart from my Wii, DS, PSP and 360 they don't make games for my other systems any more and I've bought just about every title I want for my PSone, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast and Gameboy Pocket. I'd only buy a game if I really wanted to play it but I guess when I eventually do have (or make) the time to play I've already got enough games to keep me going for years.

When the boys start school we're thinking about moving so I will have the custom gaming room and a bit more time to play, I'm just enjoying the collecting and day dreaming about getting to play them all.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."