Which interests and hobbies have you lost interest in?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RMLF

Re: Which interests and hobbies have you lost interest in?

Post by RMLF » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Japanese-- tried twice now but got bored and gave up... its not too much like hard work.. despite peoples claims it seems to be vaguely straightforward.. no possessives iirc YAY!

Drumming- Thats mainly pain related and I cant afford the stuff I need to make my kit even anywhere near decent again 35 quid for sticks ( works out cheaper buying carbons than buying and replacing wooden ones all the time. A new set of practice pads.. and if honest a new cymbal set as well.
So thats over 200 quid already nice.

Collecting Transformers- kinda gave up once the worlds Smallest and commemorative series came out and I finally got the ones I wanted.
Havent brought anyfor a good old while.

Anime- kinda went flat at uni, and hasnt really recovered I dont get the love for some of the newer stuff especially Neo Genesis Evangelion and still not seen Gunbuster 2 The last new anime I brought was G.i.t.s. 2

Films- Wrecked at Uni I still watch films but havent been able to enjoy them as much since studying them to death.Pain has also added to this and means I cant go to the cinema anymore... 2 hours plus in one crappy lil chair that iam stuck in.. I dont think so.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:52 am

Most certainly going out........

I was a very avid clubber and loved Friday and Saturday nights, but then started to think `whats the point`

Went through a stage of missing the odd weekend,,,,then it would be every other weekend.....then I just realised that my mates were telling the same crap stories about the weekend....`mick threw up, some girl slapped shooter, there was nearly a fight, we spent 70 quid, the taxi didnt turn up, someone threw up again, blah blah blah..."

I have also worked in a club dj-ing for a couple of years and if that doesnt show you the bad side of drinking and substance abuse - I dont know what will...

Realised that I was probably growing up.....I was married at this time anyway (the only lad in our group who was - but I had a `night release pass :wink: ), then had my first bairn and realised that being in with him was much more important......then I decided to happily stay in if my wife fancied a night out with her mates...then it dawned on me that drink and lads and nights out were and are an utter waste of money...then happily settled into a domestic life which I am still cocooned in...I now only go out with my wife and we have a great pleasant time having a acouple of drinks, a nice meal and just being together without the kids - this is whats important...then once or twice a year my wife and I go to a concert and get hammered like a pair of teenagers :D )

Drink is too expensive and its not worth it the next day (especially when you have 2 kids)

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:35 am

Smoking cigars. I used to buy all these different types, big cuban ones, the lot. I still love the smell but got bored with it eventually. Oh and collecting beer mats (the most popular thing amongst kids ever :lol: )I used to have tons of these. Still do somewhere.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:41 am

I used to be into Hong Kong/Asian/Action/Kung-fu movies alot and used to contribute reviews to websites and magazine for free such was my passion for it but now I hardly but any dvds and barely watch the large collection I already have. I'm about 5 years behind the Hong Kong movies now.

Gaming has replaced alot of my movie watching in general, probably because it's realtively more engaging than watching movies, especially ones I've seen before. Films seem like an even more passive activity compared to gaming which at least has some interaction.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:07 am

Life...

I seems so much effort I really can't be bot

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 am

My interst in gaming, while it never went away it was taken over by tuning my old car. Then I sold that, got married and had a baby and gaming found its way back up.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

dste

Post by dste » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:46 am

I mainly tend to temporarily lose interest in things like I couldn't be bothered to game for a few years and didn't read for a few years but the two main things that I permanently lost interest in were comics and trading cards.

Comics - read them up until about 18 months ago where they whacked the prices up yet again and had just had another event with about 75 tie-ins which were all pointless. Even without buying the tie-ins there was event fatigue and I just wanted to be able to read a story arc or two. Plus it was only taking me about 5-10mins maximum to read a comic and at the prices they were charging I could pick up a game that would last me a few hours.

Trading Cards - collected them a few years ago and like comics there were so many sets released and then sub-sets and special cards that I could be bothered with the money or time collecting them all. I sold the entire lot (bar some lose stuff) and never regretted it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:11 am

skating
i used to love spending all day on my skates, not done it in a few years now!
still got two decent pairs of skates in my closet!
might dust them off one of these days!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:28 am

I tend to hit something pretty heavy for six months then I notice that if I carry on far too long I get jaded and burn out. I did this once with non-computer gaming (wargames, RPGs etc.) and didn't touch one for about three years despite nagging from gaming mates to shift my arse.

What I do now is to recognise the signs and then put that hobby interest on hold pretty much straight away - being wary of the point where something you enjoy becomes a chore. I hit this a few months ago with painting wargames figures for wargames armies so shelved everything and will wait until enthusiasm comes back. Happily some other interest sparks up again to fill the gap.

So all the things i like, cars, computer games, wargames tend to interest me in cycles.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:07 am

Yeah, realized there's a couple more besides monster trucks:

"New" music is one of them - for about three years I'd religiously buy the NME every week, and if there was a band in there I hadn't heard of I'd immediately be "out there", trying to find ANYTHING by them. Soon enough, around the time of Bloc Pary/Futureheads etc coming about, I realized that they all sound EXACTLY THE SAME. Now I'm more into looking at music from the past I've missed out on somehow, mainly 1960s girl groups and "odd" American stuff like Bongwater, Love & Rockets, Ween, that sort of thing.

The other one is, like others, going out. At one point I'd be out every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at them clubs, and going to other people's houses otherwise. Last time I went to a club, it was the most boring night of my life. A ton of people drinking themselves stupid and dancing to the same music that's been played in that place for the last ten years, utter crap and tedium. Can't even be bothered going to see bands nowadays, too many posers and no good bands.

If I want to "socialize" now, it's usually cinema and a quiet pub, in which we can discuss whatever film we've seen. MUCH better!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 am

Piano and Drumming, Piano because I got too frustated with it and haven't played for eons, Drumming... well.. it hurts too much to play nowadays my legs aren't what they used to be, sometimes at work I'll sit on my chair in the MOT office and pretend to drum along to a tune or two while I'm supposed to be printing out paperwork :oops: , then when I go to stand up my legs let me know I'm knocking on a bit :lol:

Also it's seems my interest in gaming is going a little stale, I keep buying games and not playing them, ie: I've had Mario Galaxy 2 for a month or so now... and only 6 stars collected, I just can't seem to get out of this gaming rut :cry: it seems atm I'd much rather read and talk about games..

ruffian

Post by ruffian » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:28 am

TheBoingoBandit wrote:Have you ever had any interests or hobbies that you used to follow that you no longer are interested in? These can be while you were a child or adult.

Mine are...

Comics - Although I was mainly into British comics rather than American, I used to spend a lot of time collecting and reading comics. I used to buy magazines about comics, go to comic fairs and borrow graphic novels from the library.
However, I was in Forbidden Planet one day and wanted the latest Iron Man comic. I saw the price of it, felt it was too high and almost immediantly asked myself is value of enjoyment worth the cover price?
From there on I started to lose my interest in comics and bought and read less and less until now where I barely care about it at all and have not bought one in many years. (Although recently I did buy a couple of books on the history of British comics in bargain book shops.)
Same here, i collected comics avidly during the 80s, went to the nearest comic mart every time it was on, then interest started to wane in the early 90s...too many titles, artwork went down the pan, price increase...that was also the time i started on videogames, beginning with a sega master system purchased from a supermarket.

Price of new comics is horrifying now, i'd rather spend a couple of quid on a used dvd or videogame.
My trusted trade partners - Rossi46, Shinobi, stvd, witchfinder, filecore, pantal00ns, SirClive, Mainvein, SpiffierRabbit, eeztheman, c0nfu53d

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:33 am

Stamp collecting.... i tend to drift in and out of it.
And also Roman coins..... both hobbies i occasionally get interested in again, but then find something else to do.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 am

Ranting about the state of whats on TV
I just keep the bugger off it saves on air

Hating modern day music
I just dont listen to Radio 1 anymore
TwoHeadedBoy wrote: a quiet pub, in which we can discuss whatever film we've seen. MUCH better!
Unless it was like The Lass last time we had a meeting in there.
Bands?
All right music, but not easy to talk

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:23 am

Keyrings & Smurfs. Although that was in the late 1970's. :P