Which interests and hobbies have you lost interest in?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

Re: Which interests and hobbies have you lost interest in?

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Painting/drawing - used to do this for fun but lost interest. That horrible realisation that you're not quite good enough coupled with a lack of persevearance to improve!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:18 pm

Wrestling. Lost interest in wrestling around 1995. Still watch a bit but only every so often. If ever I watch Smackdown on youtube theres hardly any matches, just dodgy acting skits. I do still buy those double pack DVDs of events from the late 80s, early 90s though.

Skateboarding. Had 2 big phases of this. Firstly when it was all those big fat boards and bermuda shorts in the late 80s and second when I was about 19 and loads of parks opened up. Gave up because my friends did. Plus I rolled my ankle 3 times and was in agony. Knew someone who after rolling their ankle 4 times had to have a pin put in their foot and figured it wasent worth the risk.

Bands. I think its just something I "grew out of". When I was in 6th form we would always be starting bands and playing local shows with other bands and we were in a band until I was about 23 and just realised that I didnt have time or to be honest, the desire. I do still have a noodle on my Telecaster every now and then and meet up with some old mates for a jam but I nothing more. Infact, a friend of mine was contacted recently by a local media guy about doing a little film about a band we used to be in and asked of we'd all get together again.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Star Trek - 15 years ago I was obsessed with all things Trek, had a vast collection, could reel off endless amounts of useless trivia. Slowly I stopped getting books and figures, but my interest was kept up with games and watching the episodes still. Then just completely left it for a while. It's slowly starting to creep back in, especially when tied in with the retro games.

CD's - There was a time when half my wages went on CD's. A mate of mine ran a punk mail order site and I was buying dozens of CD's a month, discovered a huge amount of great punk and ska bands that way. When I met my girlfriend I went heavily into buying death/black metal cd's that I didn;t already have, and that sort of signalled the end of my CD collecting days. Now, I haven't listened to a CD, rather than the rips of my own cd's on my PC or Spotify, for a few years.

Gig's - 2004-2006 I went to hundreds of gigs - I was averaging 5 a week. I'd been to plenty before, and i've been to a few after, but that 2 year period completely burnt me out. It was good to be quite heavily involved in the weekly going's on in the British Punk world, in a very small way, but watching the same bands every week combined with the lack of money and hungover mornings took it's toll. I still miss it mind.

PC Gaming/PC'ing in general - Whilst I'm still a PC gamer at heart, my recent windows 95 PC playing has reminded me just how much I used to play on the PC. Turn of the century (that sounds odd to say), I would play PC games a huge amount, talked to people over the various messenger services and enveloped myself in the world of the net for what was far more than healthy. Long before it became 'acceptable' to do so. Some great experiences playing and tinkering with my PC over those many years, but nowadays I simply haven't got the patience/interest to do so.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:23 pm

STranger81 wrote:I do still buy those double pack DVDs of events from the late 80s, early 90s though.
That's the golden era right there, I can watch and enjoy any match if Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan/Jesse Ventura are on commentary.

I still watch wrestling old and new but I don't like a lot of the current stuff like most fans, but to be fair when WWE get it right, usually at Wrestlemania, it can still be pretty good.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:40 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Seems like almost all of my hobbies/interests have stayed with me over the years - even the ones from my earliest years, such as dinosaurs and Beanos.

The only thing I'm not MASSIVELY into anymore is monster trucks - used to rent out tapes from the video shop full of monster truck footage, my dad would tape the late night stuff for me, I had a few toys (Grave Digger being my favourite), a ton of posters, and even went to a monster truck show at Aintree Race Course for my 11th birthday. Don't know what happened, but somehow the monster truck love just fizzled out.

Bugger, after writing that I'm thinking of heading to YouTube... The process begins once more :lol:

I used to be really into monster trucks too.

Although I'm thinking about going to this show...

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Monster-J ... ?camefrom=[=CAMEFROM=]&brand=tm&tm_link=tm_homeA_rc_image7

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:16 pm

Say now, that IS tempting... The MEN arena at 1pm on Sunday 19th September, sounds like a plan :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 am

pratty wrote:
STranger81 wrote:I do still buy those double pack DVDs of events from the late 80s, early 90s though.
That's the golden era right there, I can watch and enjoy any match if Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan/Jesse Ventura are on commentary.

I still watch wrestling old and new but I don't like a lot of the current stuff like most fans, but to be fair when WWE get it right, usually at Wrestlemania, it can still be pretty good.
Oh yeah Monsoon and Heenan together were fantastic. I used to love the little sketches on Superstars, had me in stitches. And also their "Prime Time" show was genius.

The first time I went to watch WWF wrestling back in 1992 there was a match between Shaun Michaels and Randy Savage and they were out of the ring at one point and a woman in the crowd got VERY mad at Sensational Sherri attacking Savage and started waving her away and Bobby Heenan came out with:

"Look at that girl in the front row. Two girls wearing the same dress. Oh no, its just one big girl."

Infact, go to 6:35 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-unoHrTKMU
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81