garden shed,games room?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: garden shed,games room?

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 am

I saw XFile2708's Summer House recently, and it was excellent.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:16 am

ours was pretty cheap to be honest, if you can afford it then def do it. I have a bog standard 3 bed semi, and it cost £3500 in total, including carpets, electrics, velux window. cant be used as a proper bedroom as it doesnt have a staircase, only has a great big wooden loft ladder but its ace.

before it was a manky, leaky, old loft with no proper floor or anything, but its now the best room in the house :D[/quote]

Would love to see it! Am tempted to do mine at some point...if only I could stay off these forums long enough to stop buying stuff :D[/quote]

i'll stick up some pics at some point as its one giant store room for games and stuff at the mo, but once it sorted i reckon it will be ace (just a shame i couldnt fit the 28inch crt up there or the neo geo arcade cab i want to buy)

RED IMPACT

Post by RED IMPACT » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm

What's wrong with the living room? Failing that the spare room? I would hate to put any of my stuff in the shed due to damp or threat thereof!

oldiron82

Post by oldiron82 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Spare room i wish! Nah i'd love one but i've got 3 kids and they need bedrooms more than i need a gamesroom *weeps* plus we only live in a 3 bed semi so the space is an issue,in regard to putting stuff in the living room my wife would rarther devorce me she hates anything gamming related sadly.

I'm also looking at a loft conversion that would be the safest option at the mo as i'm a dry liner by trade i could do it dead cheap,only trouble is i'd have to opt out of a sky light and i could never get an arcade cab up there! :( or i could convince the wife that one would look the bees knees in the living room, WISHFULL THINKING!

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:34 pm

So flipping it around then matey - why not give her a beautiful loft conversion for a new master bedroom, maybe a nice ensuite as well... and then use your current bedroom as the gamesroom? :D

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:36 am

XFile2708 wrote:So flipping it around then matey - why not give her a beautiful loft conversion for a new master bedroom, maybe a nice ensuite as well... and then use your current bedroom as the gamesroom? :D

You sir are a genius!

oldiron82

Post by oldiron82 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:33 pm

Genius indeed,but she don't deserve it! :-)

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:49 pm

oldiron82 wrote:Genius indeed,but she don't deserve it! :-)
But you make out its for her... with just a small benefit to yourself... its all in how they interpret it matey :wink:

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:54 pm

XFile2708 wrote:
But you make out its for her... with just a small benefit to yourself... its all in how they interpret it matey :wink:

Wise words there matey...wise words :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:19 pm

No loft? Mine was converted a couple of years ago. Cost about £1500.

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:28 pm

TyronW wrote:
XFile2708 wrote:

Wise words there matey...wise words :)
haha - years of practise matey :lol:

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:03 pm

I am actually in the process of building a shed to house all the bits and pieces that I have jammed in the 'study' at the moment. It has been about 10 years in the making (and saving). Looking at a 12m x 6m shed with 9m x 6m being the actual games room/rumpus room. Now up to having the council approval and paid the deposit. Waiting on the concrete slab to be done and then it should go up pretty quickly. Planning to water proof, insulate, plaster, carpet and put some heating in as well. By the end it will have cost a few dollars but a lot cheaper than putting an extension on the house. Looking forward to moving the stuff out there as it will be like going to a garage/yard sale again as I can't really recall all of what is in the collection. My wife is looking forward to having another room in the house where she can seek refuge from me and the kids. :)

oldiron82

Post by oldiron82 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:54 am

Good to see peoples feedback on this,after visiting my farther in law yesterday his garden shed has been standing in his back garden now for 30+ years and inside it's as dry as a bone suprisingly apart from the odd cob web here and there,apparently it's all about how you treat the wood etc and if you do it right it will last for donkeys years.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:30 am

^^^^ spammer alert :roll:

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:54 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:That Guru Larry video - hilariously tragic/tragically hilarious. If it was a fire, it'd all be gone and you could forget about it. Wetness though, must be horrible sifting through, seeing what you can save.

There was someone else in the photos thread who had a summer house full of games, toys and board games. It looked nice, but I think he was American...

Thats my collection, I'm not in America, I'm in sunny old England. No problems so far even with all this rain we have been having, will probably put a heater in there during the winter though just to be on the safe side.

link to pics here

http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68 ... 626/retro/
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net