garden shed,games room?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldiron82

garden shed,games room?

Post by oldiron82 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm

now then,I'll be as brief as possible but as i don't have a games room as such just some space i use under my stairs :-) but the crap i'm building up under there i'm running out of space fast.I've been looking at getting a kind of summer house or something along those lines but won't be able to afford one just now,but was thinking of getting a decent sized garden shed insted i.e a T&G one but would this be a good idea? or just plain stupid as i don't want to loose my gear to the british elements.

Has anyone done a similar thing in the past? would love to get some input on this:-).

Cheers.Dave.

jdanddiet

Re: garden shed,games room?

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:19 pm

The last place I'd want to put any of my gaming stuff is in the shed! Then again, if I had one that wasn't damp, smelly, full of garden tools etc...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

oldiron82

Post by oldiron82 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:23 pm

LOOL obviously it would be a brand spanker,and be damp proofed to a certain degree but i've never owend a wooden garden shed before and just wondered what they were like for getting damp etc.Maybe i should head over to the alan alan titchmarsh and garderners world forums insted :oops:

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Guru Larry did it. You shouldn't. Here's why:
Guru Larry Link

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 am

You'd need air conditioning in it, else the rapid drops and increases in temperature will cause condensation to form, ruining all your stuff.

If you lived in Arizona, you might get away with it, but not in the UK.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:39 am

Xfile has an awesome summer house for his collection. Looks good, but be weary it looks very cold from his vids in winter

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:41 am

As well as the cold/damp, I'd say security must be a bit of an issue with keeping this sort of outside?

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:39 am

See what you think of my converted Summer House when you come up matey - ive had my gamesroom in there for well over a year now and despite the fluctuations in temperatures (down to -7 in the winter and 30+ in the summer) ive had no problems at all with any of my systems or games... :D

I have a portable heater in there in the winter and a fan in the summer - I would get it all done properly but as we're renting then im not going to spend money on improving something that isn't technically our property... lol

Security wise yes make it as secure as you can - security light, good mortis lock etc... I was tempted to keep the Boa Constrictor and Royal Python in there as security but you may just want to make do with a big dog in the garden instead :lol:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 am

That Guru Larry video - hilariously tragic/tragically hilarious. If it was a fire, it'd all be gone and you could forget about it. Wetness though, must be horrible sifting through, seeing what you can save.

There was someone else in the photos thread who had a summer house full of games, toys and board games. It looked nice, but I think he was American...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:13 am

isnt there someone on here who posted their collection that was all in a shed? remembered it to be one of the best collections i've ever seen. I converted my loft to store all my stuff, recommend that instead of a shed

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 am

mainvein wrote:isnt there someone on here who posted their collection that was all in a shed? remembered it to be one of the best collections i've ever seen. I converted my loft to store all my stuff, recommend that instead of a shed
Was it pricey?

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:04 am

TyronW wrote:
mainvein wrote:isnt there someone on here who posted their collection that was all in a shed? remembered it to be one of the best collections i've ever seen. I converted my loft to store all my stuff, recommend that instead of a shed
Was it pricey?

ours was pretty cheap to be honest, if you can afford it then def do it. I have a bog standard 3 bed semi, and it cost £3500 in total, including carpets, electrics, velux window. cant be used as a proper bedroom as it doesnt have a staircase, only has a great big wooden loft ladder but its ace.

before it was a manky, leaky, old loft with no proper floor or anything, but its now the best room in the house :D

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:18 am

mainvein wrote:
TyronW wrote:
Was it pricey?

ours was pretty cheap to be honest, if you can afford it then def do it. I have a bog standard 3 bed semi, and it cost £3500 in total, including carpets, electrics, velux window. cant be used as a proper bedroom as it doesnt have a staircase, only has a great big wooden loft ladder but its ace.

before it was a manky, leaky, old loft with no proper floor or anything, but its now the best room in the house :D

Would love to see it! Am tempted to do mine at some point...if only I could stay off these forums long enough to stop buying stuff :D

oldiron82

Post by oldiron82 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:07 am

Dam wrote:As well as the cold/damp, I'd say security must be a bit of an issue with keeping this sort of outside?
yes mate it would be outside,i would have to treat it like bellmarsh prison security wise,but i doubt any self respecting burglar would be interested in any of the old stuff in there unless theres lcd tvs in there etc of course : )

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 am

I am planning on kitting our loft out at somepoint for a consoles games room and having a propper insulated damp proofed challet/summer house at the end of the garden for Arcade cabs. We have the space to do it in our new house....just no money to do it in the near future.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.