zombie simulator game 1
gladiator taito 1
"david perry" 1

It's amazing what some people search for... :shock:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

RetroKingSimon

Re: Blog Traffic?

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:37 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Mind you, he has a big link to his site in your very own sig which kinda dwarfs yours :lol:
I don't have a banner for my blog though. :( I guess I could try to make one but it wouldn't look very good...

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:42 pm

jimbo_too wrote::lol: These are the top search referrals from Google I have had...
How do you get your blog to appear in search results then? Use that SEO thingy? :|

And how do you see your search referrals? If I'm doing it right, I only have about 5 - here, Facebook, Google, espnnn.com (for some reason, and Blogger itself!

Then again, since I'm not really doing anything that a billion other people aren't doing, I might as well not bother trying to increase my exposure...

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Maybe someone with some Photoshop or equivalent skills would make a banner for me? :P

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:50 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:
jimbo_too wrote::lol: These are the top search referrals from Google I have had...
How do you get your blog to appear in search results then? Use that SEO thingy? :|

And how do you see your search referrals? If I'm doing it right, I only have about 5 - here, Facebook, Google, espnnn.com (for some reason, and Blogger itself!

Then again, since I'm not really doing anything that a billion other people aren't doing, I might as well not bother trying to increase my exposure...
Don't give up!

My blog just does appear in Google. I think Wordpress is owned by Google, because my blog doesn't show up at all in Bing... :?

I have never used SEO for my site.
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:25 pm

sscott wrote:
boyo wrote:There are ways that I have found to get people to Retro Fusion which now does not resort to spamming... Retro Fusion has had 21,174 unique hits on the site this month so far, up from just over 20k last month and 2.5k the month before.

The site is 3 months old to the growth is very good.

I'm not sure I can sustain it, but the ride so far has been brilliant.

Take a look at this for RF info : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/retrofusion.org.uk#
I think you're gonna have to sustain it mate (particularly in the light of maybe unfair criticsm of previous ventures), I regularly view the site and there's some good stuff but can't add another banner to my signature!
Did not meen sustain as in the site will disappear....meant the traffic. But the site is here to stay!

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:46 pm

jimbo_too wrote: Don't give up!

My blog just does appear in Google. I think Wordpress is owned by Google, because my blog doesn't show up at all in Bing... :?

I have never used SEO for my site.
Wordpress isn't owned by Google, it's owned by a separate entity (Automattic). Blogger is owned by Google.

Each search engine has it's own algorithm for ranking web pages. Mostly it's the following:-

1. What the page is about (this uses things such as the page title, the text that's on the page in certain areas such as in the header & bold areas).
2. links pointing to the page (links have bonuses such as authority - a link from the front page of Retro Gamer would be worth more than a link from "Johnny's Geocities Websitez RULEZ dot com!").
3. The Linked Words. Say for example, if I wanted to get more traffic to my Chu Chu Rocket Review page, I'd probably try and build as many links as possible to the page with the linked words Chu Chu Rocket Review. You can either do this ethically (so for example, swapping links - I usually give a link back for anybody who puts my banners in their signature, nudge nudge wink wink, writing blog posts on other blogs), or unethically (for example the spammers that show up on this site every now and again). It's far better doing the first route!

That's basically it for SEO. It's just basic marketing. It won't get you a load of traffic, but it will get you a decent amount of decent traffic. Here's the top 10 queries for my site in the last month.

1. sega saturn battery 49
2. retro game reviews 46
3. retro games 16
4. retro game review 15
5. sega saturn replacement battery 14
6. video game reviews 14
7. retro games review 13
8. retro game blog 12
9. retro games uk 10
10. retro gaming 10

It's also a long term strategy, this site has been going on for two years to get these sort of numbers. But now I get around 800-900 visitors a month from search engines :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 pm

RetroKingSimon wrote:Maybe someone with some Photoshop or equivalent skills would make a banner for me? :P
[Shrugs] Give me a couple of days to get my main work box back on teh interwebs (posting from the Illogistix machine right now!) and then PM me an idea of what you want.

Mr_Staypuft

Post by Mr_Staypuft » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 am

As others have said in this thread, blog traffic can vary infinitely, as does how much work you want to do, and the effectiveness of that work.

Jason gives you an example, of a blog with interesting/unique content, but as he says "He doesn't do any real PR for it".
But that makes sense, Jason does a lot of other stuff with his time (including multiple pages every month for RG) so the blog isn't a huge focus for him.
TMR wrote: As far as figures go, StatPress reckons that my personal blog got 316 unique visitors last month with 943 page views and, apart from posting here and mentioning updates on Twitter and Facebook, i don't do any real PR for it - most of that throughput is people either searching for me by name (which is bemusing in itself) or the game Zybex.
My blog is a bit different in that I try to do big interview type stories, and a bit of PR for it.
Eg: This week, nice big links on Indiegames.com and GameSetWatch.com

So the questions are..
1. Who is your audience?
2. How much effort do you want to put into each post?
3. How often do you want to post?
4. What time (if any) will you spend on PR?
eg: When you have a story that suits site X, suggest it to them. If you do it right, they'll link to you and send visitors your way.
BUT - you need to be choosy. If you just send 'any old thing' they'll be annoyed, and soon they'll start ignoring your tips.

Hope that helps :)