Blog Traffic?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroKingSimon

Blog Traffic?

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:54 am

Well, my last blog post was by far my most popular so far, which is good. However, I discovered a 'Stats' section of the Blogger thingy which details site traffic and the aforementioned post still only got 30-odd views. Some of my older posts only got 1 or 2 views. :( Has anyone got any tips on how to increase a blog's exposure? I'd love to be getting lots more views (and comments). Or is it that my blog is unpopular simply because it sucks ass? Anyone have any tips/suggestions? Thanks! :)

jdanddiet

Re: Blog Traffic?

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:13 am

Posting regularly helps a lot, but of course this can be difficult if other things (ie real life) take precedence!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

PCRedux

Post by PCRedux » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:15 am

Last edited by PCRedux on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCRedux - Coming Soon

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 am

jdanddiet wrote:Posting regularly helps a lot, but of course this can be difficult if other things (ie real life) take precedence!
I do generally post quite often, at least once a week. I've made three posts in the last four days, for example. Two of them were barely noticed according to the stats. What sort of page-viewing figures do you get?
PCRedux wrote:SEO is king :)
Is it easy to implement? I have no experience with it (in fact, I didn't even know what it was until 30 seconds ago!)

Edit: Thanks, I'll read that later :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:27 am

jdanddiet wrote:Posting regularly helps a lot, but of course this can be difficult if other things (ie real life) take precedence!
Well people will know that my Moaning sod blog gets updated EVERY FIRDAY!

I cant find the thing mentioned in the OP
I need to know if people are glancing at my works
(Think its about time I got my main sites blog updated)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:05 am

Every Firday? Is that round christmas time or something???
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 am

Its a rushed txtspeak way of saying Friday

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 am

SEO is handy, but it won't bring you a massive amount of traffic. What it will give you is relevant traffic.

Put it this way. If you are #1 in Google for two phrases - "Video Games" & "Commodore 64 Games", which will send you the most traffic?

Okay, now assume your site is about Commdore 64 Games, which will send you traffic that are more interested in it?

My site (I'm an SEO in my day job, so I've kinda gone all out) is pretty high in Google for various phrases which bring me drips & draps of traffic. Often that traffic is pretty good, usually resorts in some sort of enquiry (PR stuff mainly), but the real traffic bringer is connecting with other sites owners - do this by commenting, tweeting, stumbleupon or writing guest posts on each others site. Also if you want to really keep people informed, you can set it up so your RSS reader gets sent via email using something like Mailchimp (Free - would use this) or Aweber (pay per month). This helps people who find your site keep visiting. Not sure if it works with blogger.

That's the basic jist of it. All you have to do is get people visiting your site & try to keep people coming back via emails or RSS. That'll help increase your traffic.

Good luck!

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 am

DPrinny wrote:Its a rushed txtspeak way of saying Friday
Rushed? You had time to make it big and red! :P Regarding the stats thing, as I keep saying in the 'Blog' thread, I use the draft version of blogger. When you access your blog, replace the 'www' with 'draft'. You'll find a 'stats' tab there...

And thanks a lot, RetroGarden, I'll look into some of your suggestions :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 am

One thing to remember is that we're talking about blogs, it's not as though they're uncommon so anyone starting up now has probably got a wave of apathy generated by all the other blogs which cover similar territory.

SEO does help, so will signing up for sites like Blog Catalog or a banner/link exchange or something similar and getting a domain to look a little more "professional", but the best way (and it doesn't magically generate vast amounts of traffic) is to get links to your site on other sites either by commenting on their posts (don't go stupid, nobody likes a spammer even if it's a well-meaning one - if you have a spam queue it'll be filled with attempts to post random platitudes to your comments with a link to their dodgy pill site) or arranging a link trade - even posting updates to Twitter and Facebook will generate a little traffic too there are plug-ins for blogging systems like Wordpress that close to automate that process.

As far as figures go, StatPress reckons that my personal blog got 316 unique visitors last month with 943 page views and, apart from posting here and mentioning updates on Twitter and Facebook, i don't do any real PR for it - most of that throughput is people either searching for me by name (which is bemusing in itself) or the game Zybex.

boyo

Post by boyo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:14 am

There are ways that I have found to get people to Retro Fusion which now does not resort to spamming... Retro Fusion has had 21,174 unique hits on the site this month so far, up from just over 20k last month and 2.5k the month before.

The site is 3 months old to the growth is very good.

I'm not sure I can sustain it, but the ride so far has been brilliant.

Take a look at this for RF info : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/retrofusion.org.uk#

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:31 am

You get one or two more hits than me then :cry:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Mind you, he has a big link to his site in your very own sig which kinda dwarfs yours :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:20 pm

boyo wrote:There are ways that I have found to get people to Retro Fusion which now does not resort to spamming... Retro Fusion has had 21,174 unique hits on the site this month so far, up from just over 20k last month and 2.5k the month before.

The site is 3 months old to the growth is very good.

I'm not sure I can sustain it, but the ride so far has been brilliant.

Take a look at this for RF info : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/retrofusion.org.uk#
I think you're gonna have to sustain it mate (particularly in the light of maybe unfair criticsm of previous ventures), I regularly view the site and there's some good stuff but can't add another banner to my signature!

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:28 pm

My own little blog survives on a small but loyal core of subscribers. I went down the 'get your name around on different forums' route.

I average between 10 and 30 views on a day where I don't write anything, and up to about 100 a day when there is actual new content to read. So I guess the best thing to do is just spread the word, and people should come.

I got mentioned several times in the past by UK: Resistance, Retro Remakes and Rock Paper Shotgun, and if you can do something like that it opens up new possibilities. :)
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol: