Screenshots May Vary - 8 bit paperback book.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PCRedux

Re: Screenshots May Vary - 8 bit ebook.

Post by PCRedux » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:03 am

No, seriously, where are the JPG's?
PCRedux - Coming Soon

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:04 pm

PCRedux wrote:No, seriously, where are the JPG's?
I`ll update the top post with the link once the upload is complete. (78 mb)

Greyfox

Re: Screenshots May Vary - 8 bit paperback book.

Post by Greyfox » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:55 pm

are my eye deceiving me? £53 quid for the printed version? :shock: .. I understand you need to make up for your costs,time and effort but that's outrageous :lol: , it's a brilliant idea. and was maybe considering doing a Amiga/ST type booklet..maybe in PDF form myself, but I can't see many people buying this expensive book although great at the same time..it's way out of my league of publicational purchases

look at the prices of the "Spectrum Games Bible" from PJ..they've got lots in them, screen shots, reviews..far more that this offering and there only 8.99 each. You may have to re look at the pricing structure, or make the book smaller to fit the general public willing to spend on these books.

Grey.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:28 pm

Greyfox wrote:are my eye deceiving me? £53 quid for the printed version? :shock: .. I understand you need to make up for your costs,time and effort but that's outrageous :lol: , it's a brilliant idea. and was maybe considering doing a Amiga/ST type booklet..maybe in PDF form myself, but I can't see many people buying this expensive book although great at the same time..it's way out of my league of publicational purchases

look at the prices of the "Spectrum Games Bible" from PJ..they've got lots in them, screen shots, reviews..far more that this offering and there only 8.99 each. You may have to re look at the pricing structure, or make the book smaller to fit the general public willing to spend on these books.

Grey.
(Now £49.99 as I just discovered ISBN book numbers added to the overall cost)
Yeah, Lulu seem to charge alot for their services - the format of 326 full colour graphic 6x9 inch pages is where their charge comes from, a black & white version would be alot cheaper but not much use for a screenshots book. The "Spectrum Games Bible 1985 - 1986" costs £54.95 and "Spectrum Games Bible 1987 - 1988" costs £68.95, the £8.99 price is for the Black & White versions.

I`ve uploaded all the pages in jpeg format so at least folk can download the files for free. An Amiga/ST book is a great idea but beware if wanting to use Lulu.com as their website wizards/uploaders are very buggy.

PC with viewer program
Jpegs only
Last edited by Eric on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:40 pm

no..I doubt my one would be getting published, like your one, it would be either a PDF document or maybe as slide show accompanied with music from the st & amiga days, maybe lasting about 25- 30mins long...so I'll update it when it's nearing completion, LULU can keep there fee's lol..there is plenty of other sites doing magazine style publishing for far less,..I think Aldi do it very reasonable on photography magazine printing ..but I think my one will be only about 30-50 2 page spreads, rather than single entries per page..might get one done for my self and see what ppl think here...all in the name of retro ehh? ;)
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Greyfox wrote:no..I doubt my one would be getting published, like your one, it would be either a PDF document or maybe as slide show accompanied with music from the st & amiga days, maybe lasting about 25- 30mins long...so I'll update it when it's nearing completion, LULU can keep there fee's lol..there is plenty of other sites doing magazine style publishing for far less,..I think Aldi do it very reasonable on photography magazine printing ..but I think my one will be only about 30-50 2 page spreads, rather than single entries per page..might get one done for my self and see what ppl think here...all in the name of retro ehh? ;)
Will it include a guide on how to get A500 games working on my A1200? :D

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:20 am

I think there's a 20% Lulu discount code floating around that will knock a tenner or so off the price. Will Lulu be the only place to ever to get this book?

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Morkin wrote:I think there's a 20% Lulu discount code floating around that will knock a tenner or so off the price. Will Lulu be the only place to ever to get this book?
20% off codes for lulu.com this month are "TWIST" or "SANTA305"

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:21 pm

C=Style wrote:Very nice! This is much appreciated. Don't suppose you could upload the JPG's too? It would sit perfectly on my Xbox and I wouldn't have to convert anything. 8)
Have you tried the pictures on Xbox, how do they look?

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:14 pm

"The Best Of" edition contains 60 top games choosen from the full edition, it remains full colour pages and covers for £13.99.
Preview the first 12 pages at lulu.com:-
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/s ... f/12183686

Full Edition 326 pages - £49.99
Best Of Edition 68 pages - £13.99
Quick Quide 38 pages - £7.99

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:27 am

Lulu.com are offering 25% off for a short time, promotion code CYBERUK305.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:30 am

Christmas 20% off until 31 December with www.lulu.com code BEREMARKABLE305.
"Quick Guide" edition is then priced at around £6.40

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:20 pm

You could always try IUniverse.com as well and also make it availible as an ebook too.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:34 am

Now available from Amazon.com & EBay.com