UPDATE: things are looking up!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

the_hawk

Re: Well, looks like I'll be gone for a while

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:57 am

Horrible, just horrible.

So glad your Dad's able to be strong through this though.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

mohicankid

Re: Well, looks like I'll be gone for a while

Post by mohicankid » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:10 am

glad the 1st operation went well
let your mum know we are all wishing her a speedy recovery!
:)
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Dennoman

Re: UPDATE: things are looking up!

Post by Dennoman » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:59 am

After what has arguably been the scariest two weeks of my life, I'm happy to say things are finally looking up somewhat.

My mother underwent the operation that Tuesday, thanks to her surgeon who was professional enough not to postpone it to the next day due to packed ORs after looking at the worrying results of her X-rays. During the first week, post-op recovery was slow and cumbersome, but she managed to pull through albeit with a lot of morphine. She then finally managed to slow down on the morphine and eventually give up on it completely earlier this week when she was finally allowed to prop up her head a bit more. Lying down flat for a week provided her with massive headaches and nausea, but it was more than necessary for the initial recovery of her spine from the operation.

Her next operation (which will be quite serious as they have to go in past the lungs) is scheduled for next Thursday, but thankfully there will be no direct risk for her spine or any related paralysis anymore. There are a few relatively minor discomforts the doctors still worry about (such as partial paralysis around the blatter), but these things can be either treated with medicine or made manageable through physiotherapy.

In other positive news, my grandmother ended up waking up from her coma. She's completely bonkers after the drug-induced narcosis, which is normal for elderly people, but she's taking a little too long to become lucid again so she might stay this way. She talks utter incoherent nonsense, but thankfully still recognises us and she seems happy by the extra time she's being given. At least that's something.

Cheers all for the words of support!

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 am

It's good to hear that both you mum and gran are doing better.
Splink!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 am

Yep, glad to hear it - always nice to read some good news.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:02 pm

That`s fantastic news. Got a family member making a good recovery, so understand just how much you welcome each small step forward. All my best to you and your family.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:16 pm

That's great news that the both of them are getting better so fingers crossed for next thursday :)

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Great news, really pleased for you :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Nice to hear some good news.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:36 pm

That's fab news mate. A little less stress is always welcome. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Thats great news. Glad to hear they're both doing better than before.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Great news!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Glad to hear this on both counts - I wonder what your family's reaction would be that there are strangers rooting for their full recovery?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:31 pm

Wow, can't believe it's already been a year and a half since this happened. How time flies.

It pretty much turned out as the doctors predicted. A good 18/19 months in, she's still suffering from back injury and partial blatter paralysis (at least she doesn't wee herself, could always be worse :mrgreen: ) that will most likely never go away. The doctors said to give it at least 3 years, but they also don't expect things to dramatically improve over the next few months. Heck, at least we can live with it now. Doubting whether or not she'll be bound to a wheelchair for the rest of her life is so, so much worse. Anyway, turns out to have actually helped improve the relationship with my dad and entire family for that matter.

Me and my dad were basically left to fend for ourselves for two months (thank God it was over the summer break and I didn't have school to worry about too) and we bonded in ways that we never had before. As he's been working 70-hour weeks for as long as I can remember, we were never very close. All that's kinda changed now, also seems to have ironed out a few minor niggles in the family that came off as being completely trivial after the accident. Guess something good always comes with something bad in the end.

Thanks again for all the support, and I can't stress this enough: be safe when doing DIY around the house, even the smallest oversight can ultimately come and bite you.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.