UPDATE: things are looking up!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Dennoman

UPDATE: things are looking up!

Post by Dennoman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi all.

If this kind of threads annoys you, by all means stop reading now and keep any nasty comments to yourself. I've been through the worst imaginable kind of emotional rollercoaster today, and it'll probably lead to me leaving the forums and most internet-related activities for the next few weeks.

At around 4:30 AM, I heard an icy shriek followed by a thunderous banging and cries of pain. My mother had fallen straight down from the top floor of our house to the stairs roughly 10 feet below. We calmed her down best we could and called an ambulance that took her to hospital. At first, the injuries didn't seem too serious and it mostly seemed like panic-related stress, but they soon came up with the results of the X-ray, which weren't too good. She'd crushed one of her lateral vertebrae and came within millimeters of severing a nerve which would have caused permanent paralysis. Now, she's just undergone surgery, but there's a considerable risk she will be permanently paralyzed as a result of the operation. The best case scenario on the other hand is she'll have the screws and bolts installed and will be hopping around again happy and bubbly as ever in no time.

This comes at a time where the whole family was worried about my grandmother, who had slipped into a coma after a second heart attack not too long after the first one of which she was still recovering. When they took my mother to hospital, I heard she had just woken up from the medicine-induced coma and was breathing by herself after several unsuccessful attempts.

Right now my emotional condition is made up of bursts of hope and cries of utter desperation and helplessness. In the next few days, I'll be finding out if my mother will be spending the rest of her life in a wheelchair after a stupid and completely preventable accident.

I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

If anyone would miss me, just so you know: this is why I'll be gone at least for the next few days/weeks. And please, if you're ever planning on doing some DIY around the house: ALWAYS put safety first. That is all.
Last edited by Dennoman on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

JetSetWilly

Re: Well, looks like I'll be gone for a while

Post by JetSetWilly » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Damn, That's bad. Fingers crossed for a recovery, and take however much time is needed. You will be missed on here.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Sorry to hear that pal, hope things turn out for the best.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Hope everything works out Dennoman. My wife's a physiotherapist and there are lots of strategies to get your mum back to a full recovery (albeit over time).
Take care,
Shaun

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Mate, you know you can always talk to us, I know some of us have our silly differences on here at times, but at the end of the day,
we are all friends.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:12 pm

I hope it all works out ok.

As already said, you'll be missed.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:18 pm

I hope everything works out for the best on this.
Splink!

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Dude thoughts are with you and yours
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Denno, I wish you and yours well. Don't be a stranger. Even if its just to blow off steam, vent, or just to chill and chat games, you know you have friends here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:45 pm

My god - my thoughts are with you and your family.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Woah, in big capitals was my reaction to that. Jesus I hope your mum will be ok. What a scary thing to happen. Keep us posted when you can and really hope all will be ok.

Out of interest to fellow forum members, why would this type of thread annoy anyone?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:55 pm

I can only say the same as everyone else....best wishes to you and your family and take as long as you need, we'll still be here whenever you want to return.

Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere, however safety conscious you are. My mum had a fall 8 years ago. She literally just tripped over at home and fell pretty much flat on her face. Unfortunately, she broke her collarbone and shoulder, and as a result has permanently lost most of the mobility in her right arm. She's learnt to live with it and we're all just thankful it wasn't any more serious....I hope that it's not so bad for your mother in the long term too.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

XFile2708

Post by XFile2708 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm

Blimey thats awful matey... fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for her and that things get better for you matey...

You know where we are if you need to chat / vent... :)

Marcus

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Sorry to hear your news. Hope things work out for your mum.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

dste

Post by dste » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Sorry to hear that, hope everything is ok.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!