who uses Linux?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

EnglishRob

Re:

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:28 am

rossi46 wrote: I'm a bit disappointed to find Linux wont 'see' my AOL connection. I use AOL to connect, minimise it, then browse with Firefox (which I'm doing now).
Are you on AOL broadband? If so, rather than use the USB modem they supply, get yourself an ADSL Router. You can pick them up quite cheap from PC World at the moment. If you look on PC World's web site, some of the routers have cheaper web prices which if you have a printout, PC World will sell stuff at the web price.

I'm currently using AOL Broadband with a Thompson SpeedTouch 510v4 ADSL router onn Ubuntu Linux, works fine and doesn't need that god awful AOL software (although my girlfriend insists on using it on her PC in Windows).

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:41 pm

So how does that work? Do you configure Linux to detect wireless network settings, or do you have to set up a new account with AOL? I'm still very green with all the Linux gubbins. :oops:
Thoughts and prayers.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:24 pm

rossi46 wrote:So how does that work? Do you configure Linux to detect wireless network settings, or do you have to set up a new account with AOL? I'm still very green with all the Linux gubbins. :oops:
Or get a decent ISP? ;)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:42 pm

I use OpenSuse 10 and love it, have been using many other distros dating back to about 1998 and have found it the easiest to setup and with the most features available in the standard install, althoug it needs a reasonable amount of space. Also looks the best and most user friendly for the new user I think.

The best reason to use Linux at the moment is so you can play 'Oolite', which is a really good update of Elite and installed using Autopackage which makes it a sinch to install.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:45 am

Ive just been using Suse 10 since i got my usb modem working a few weeks back.

I love it! I cant get my ati 3d graphics drivers to work yet but thats ok as i know a lot of other people are having trouble with em too.

Once i have 3d, i will have to try Cedega.. Then i will be able to play most windows games on the system too without having to boot xp just for my Gothic 2 fix! :D

I am having trouble figuring how to install some on the manual packages but with time, ill get there!

@russgalleywood - Ill have to try that Oolite thingy! :shock:

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:45 pm

Persevere Jason ,it is worth it!
At first I just stuck with rpm's for installing packages but I now find it is sometimes easier to just install from source, this sounds scary because of all the dependencies but is sometimes the only way. I also try to stick with Yum (Yellow Dog Update manager) for installing and updating packages.
It's ATI's fault about the drivers problem, Nvidia are really good with their drivers and there is one available on the Suse DVD infact. I don't suppose changing your card is an option of course!
If you want something that is easy to install and really good then I recommend Oolite, an open-source version of Elite (my fave game of all time). It is an autopackaged game which means it's really easy to install, give it a go.
For playing music, video, cd-burning, graphics and photo-editing, internet, email and as an Office suite machine I think Suse is Windows equal, it's just the game support and drivers which let it down really.

You are not alone though! :D

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:08 pm

I've spent the last couple of weeks in the company of Slackware, Damn Small Linux, Mandriva, Suse, PClinuxOS and Ubuntu. I've been somewhat of a distro glutton, but I've finally plumped for Mandriva 2006. Simply for ease-of use and it's the only one I managed to get a clean, first-time install on.

Last night I installed the Nvidia drivers for my Geforce FX5500 (my head is still hurting) and I've now got a much better desktop resolution and the ability to play PP Racers at more than 1 frame every 15 mintutes..

Who uses Linux? Why, I do, sir! :wink:
Thoughts and prayers.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:59 pm

I was also a Mandrake fan for many years and only went away from it because of the Automount problem they used to have when you put a CD in. They got rid of it and I like Mandriva 2006 but after going over to Suse I haven't looked back (apart from the fact there was no rpm for Urquan Masters on Suse, so had to install from source!)

That's one of the best things about Linux, choice.

rossi46

Re:

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:24 pm

russgalleywood wrote:I was also a Mandrake fan for many years and only went away from it because of the Automount problem they used to have when you put a CD in.
I stopped here to browse a while on my way to the Linux forums and your reply caught my eye. I installed Mandriva 2005 from cd on my old pc today and I'm having quite peculiar cd problems. When I insert an audio cd it automatically gets played (I forget which program), but if I open any of the ripping programs, they either cant see the drive or tell me that there's no cd in it. When I go to mount the drive, I get an error telling me that I've got too many drives mounted already. Yet all the mentioned programs let me eject the cd drawer whether they've previously given errors or not. Very strange.

Paul
Thoughts and prayers.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:43 pm

Hi Mate,
yes that sounds like it, it would sometimes also occur when in the middle of installing a large program from the Mandrake discs which would fail when you needed to swap them, would also just not read certain disks if using Wine.
As far as I know, there was no definitive solution to the problem.

This was my main reason for no longer using Mandrake although Mandriva 2006 looks good and I may be tempted to give it a go as I have the DVD from Linux Format.

Give Oolite a go if you like Elite though, it's excellent. And no, I have nothing do with the creation of it, I just love Elite!

Ish

Post by Ish » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:50 pm

I used to use Linux and I can't deny I like the whole Unix style thing. But there's no point beating round the bush: the Linux desktops suck donkey ass. There's no standardisation whatsoever and its just all over the place. It just feels so....... amatuearish. Ok so its free. But it shows. I'm not knocking it as a server OS but I think as a desktop OS it sucks.

I ended up buying a Mac which combines the best of both worlds: a Unix based OS and a consistent slick GUI.
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 am

There's SO many times since I started serious pc work, that I've said to myself 'should have bought a Mac!'
Thoughts and prayers.