anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Paulie

Re: anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

Post by Paulie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: "anyone else collect old videogame magazines?"

I don't collect magazines but if I see any on my travels I do tend to pick them up, I read them and then pass then on as they quickly take up a ton of space.

At the moment I have the following:
Essential guide to video games (its actually a book but 400 pages of reviews taken from future publishing magazines covering ps1, ps2, pc, n64, dc, GBc and a few pages covering retro md, ms, ng, pce etc)
Edge specials issue 10: Retro
Games TM, Retro micro games action - all 3 volumes
Mean machines Sega, The essential Sega guide (its full of 1/2 page reviews for MS, MD, MCD and GG similar to the Reto Gamer collections in size)
Mean Machines Sega, Official sega/Mean machines megalogue (free mag from back in the day)
Retro Gamer - every issue + all cover discs
Retro Gamer, Anthology - both issues
Retro Gamer, Video games handbook - both issues
Retro Gamer, Collection - vol 1, 2 and 3 (I saw vol 4 was out in WHSmith yesterday but was off to the pub so could'nt be bothered to carry it)
Super Play - issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 17, 19 20, (which I found in my parents loft a week or 2 ago)

I keep thinking I should get rid of the Retro Gamers (regular issues) they are just taking up way too much space but every time I sort them out for ebay I think I would end up regreting it plus if I have to rebuy them it would prob cost a fair few quid.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Servbot

Post by Servbot » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for the recommendations!
bensonrad wrote:
Servbot wrote:Can anyone recommend any megadrive magazines? Easy to find and cheap being factors?
The MD had loads of magazine out for it, Megatech, Mean Machines Sega, (Official) Sega Magazine are probably the best. If you are looking for them, plus many many more, watch this space :wink: I bought a huge collection at the weekend (much to my wifes upset :lol: ) in the bid to get the last few CVGs I need, alas only one issue I needed was in there, so now have 105 CVG spares and untold amounts of Sega,Atari,PS1,PS2,ACE, Zero, Games X, Game Zone, Gamesmaster.....etc
Do let me know when you put up for sale. =-)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:43 pm

I hope to finish doing a chart on whats here by 2moro, I can literally type no more now and am off to bed. There are some rare beauties in here though :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:57 pm

I've still got my copies of "total" nintendo magazine and cvg. also have a load of official playstation magazines, the ones which I wish I had kept though was my old copies of amstrad action.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Used to have massive collections of physical mags covering computers and consoles (i'd say around the 2000 mark) but lack of space has put a dampner on that. Sold pretty much everything I have (some on here to the likes of Bensonrad and others but most on Ebay) and concentrate on collecting PDF's now.

Just checked and have over 231,000 (yes thats 231 thousand!) unique PDF's of mags and their accompanying cover discs etc, taking up over 200GB of HDD space!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:51 pm

RetroRevival wrote:Used to have massive collections of physical mags covering computers and consoles (i'd say around the 2000 mark) but lack of space has put a dampner on that. Sold pretty much everything I have (some on here to the likes of Bensonrad and others but most on Ebay) and concentrate on collecting PDF's now.

Just checked and have over 231,000 (yes thats 231 thousand!) unique PDF's of mags and their accompanying cover discs etc, taking up over 200GB of HDD space!
You had 2000 magazines :shock: wow, amazing. If I had that many, laid end to end, that would reach from my wife to her divorce lawyer :lol:

ruffian

Post by ruffian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:32 pm

RetroRevival wrote:Used to have massive collections of physical mags covering computers and consoles (i'd say around the 2000 mark) but lack of space has put a dampner on that. Sold pretty much everything I have (some on here to the likes of Bensonrad and others but most on Ebay) and concentrate on collecting PDF's now.

Is there a good central source for mag scans? I got some from retromags but couldn't seem to find many good sites.
My trusted trade partners - Rossi46, Shinobi, stvd, witchfinder, filecore, pantal00ns, SirClive, Mainvein, SpiffierRabbit, eeztheman, c0nfu53d

vampire8bit

Post by vampire8bit » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:49 pm

ruffian wrote:

Is there a good central source for mag scans? I got some from retromags but couldn't seem to find many good sites.
If you are looking for mags dedicated to the Amiga, the Amiga Magazine rack is excellent.

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:34 pm

To be honest, I have collected them from all different places in the last year or so. Morts scans on the Zzap website were my first port of call, but usually torrents, Usenet, the odd website and also long forgotten ftp sites have come up trumps in the past.

I am still adding bits to my collection, but its mainly fanzines and diskmags that I am missing now.

ruffian

Post by ruffian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 am

RetroRevival wrote:

To be honest, I have collected them from all different places in the last year or so. Morts scans on the Zzap website were my first port of call, but usually torrents, Usenet, the odd website and also long forgotten ftp sites have come up trumps in the past.

I am still adding bits to my collection, but its mainly fanzines and diskmags that I am missing now.
They all sound good, though i try to stay clear of torrents in case of malware.

Vampire8bit - I wasn't referring exclusively to Amiga mags but thanks for the link. I kept the majority of my amiga mags, Amiga Power being the favourite.
My trusted trade partners - Rossi46, Shinobi, stvd, witchfinder, filecore, pantal00ns, SirClive, Mainvein, SpiffierRabbit, eeztheman, c0nfu53d

RetroRevival

Post by RetroRevival » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 am

They all sound good, though i try to stay clear of torrents in case of malware.
Thats why it is best to stick to private trackers....;)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:33 am

Well its taken me 3 nights til midnight doing a list of all these magazines to sell, if anyone is interested send me a pm with your email address, I shall unleash the spreadsheet this morning. There are approx 600mags ranging pretty much all formats from late 80's til modern day.

Cheers
Ben
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

alexjmreynolds

Post by alexjmreynolds » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:07 am

I am looking to sell old PC Zones magazines but do not know where to start. Does anyone know where I could sell these as there seems to be no interest on ebay. I have issues 130 to 225 (though can't find 213 at the moment).

Thanks

Alex

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:28 am

I'll tell ya what there is one big mother load of magazines! 100+ issues ending on ebay in a few hours, only £6.99!
Video Games Job Lot 100+ Atari Sega Nintendo, the username is bensonrad :wink:

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:54 am

Shinobi wrote:Mighty impressive magazine collection been after the Commodore User with the Commodore 16 reviews for ages.. Vulture kindly gave me a load for free, but whenever they turn up Evilbay they always hit the £10 mark per issue.. I still much prefer readinf the old mags than the new stuff
If you click on my Project link in my sig, you can download all the C16 magazine retrospectives in PDF and JPG, basically all the C16/+4 reviews, articles and listings thrown together from each magazine to make one new special magazine each for them. Currently working on CCI.

PS. Commodore User so far only has the reviews available for download and there's lots of them, it's more a rough throw together for now. I will do a complete update with a new cover after CCI. That will likely be the largest edition :)