anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Any excuse to show off that Divers thing :lol:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Wizpot

Post by Wizpot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Was a sod for buying them, ebay nearly bankrupt me. Gave LOADS really old mags away when i moved years ago, practically full sets of crash, your sinclair, sinclair user, st & amiga formats, the one, ace etc ......... :cry: what a ......... er ....... idiot. Started again few years back when i got into consoles, still missing some Official Dreamcast mags though. Was the only one buying them, when the seller realised he put the prices up :twisted: , stopped before i completed mainly outa spite. Try to do the bootsales now but they seem to have dried up :(
If it's not nailed down it's Mine ... If I can pry it loose it's not nailed down ... .. ~Wiz~ 1966-NOW

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Always looking for friends on XBOX LIVE .. Request with Retro G

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Nearly got another of my missing CVGs yesterday, issue 160 off ebay, but price went over £5 and with postage being nearly £3, just gave up, not paying that much for an issue even if had taken me to 14 to go. A few job lots are cropping up, but they are all pick up jobs, 100's of miles from where I live typically.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

PCRedux

Post by PCRedux » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:05 am

I have a few, around 500 unique PC gaming / multimedia magazines from the early 90's up until 2000 and am always on the lookout for ones I am missing or covermounts / supplements, and yes it can get an expensive business. I regularly pick up mags for 99p but then get shot in the arm with the £3 postage costs, but frankly, its the only way to get hold of these mags now, so you have to succumb to the pries wanted if you really are desperate for that issue.

I have literally (just this morning) set up a spreadsheet so that I can try and log what I have got making those EBay searches easier, and come across bits and pieces all the time. I would assume I spend around £20 - £30 a week on filling holes in the collection, sometimes buying a job lot of stuff just for a few issues....and then there is the pain of getting rid of the ones you don't actually want.

I have around 60 issues of PC Gamer sitting here, in totally mint condition, but every one of them is no good to me as I decided to stop collecting anything dated past 2000 (for some reason!) as well as a load of N64 mags (I know some of you have had some off me), and a load of other bits dotted around (Xbox mags, PS2 mags, other random games magazines).....

A few years ago I was in a different situation...Had every DC magazine produced with cover cds, videos, supplements, had all issues of ACE, Mean Machines Sega, Sega Pro, Official PS1 Magazine and demo discs, Edge 1 - 100 in binders and then there was the trophy collection.... C&VG 1 - 100 (I paid £30 for them delivered a few years before!) Had a relationship breakdown, sold most of them on Ebay and whatever was left behind was dumped (pretty much all the DC stuff :()

As for job lots on Ebay I have found that 9 out of 10 times, if you ask people nicely, you can usually get them to courier the mags to you, even if they specifically say in the listing that they wont. I managed to pick up a load of Edge mags this way. The auction went for 99p, but before i wont it I asked if he could courier them to me (if I sorted out the courier) and he was like "yeah sure" even though in bold capatilised letters on the listing it stated that it was collection only.
PCRedux - Coming Soon

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:20 pm

bensonrad wrote:Nearly got another of my missing CVGs yesterday, issue 160 off ebay, but price went over £5 and with postage being nearly £3, just gave up, not paying that much for an issue even if had taken me to 14 to go. A few job lots are cropping up, but they are all pick up jobs, 100's of miles from where I live typically.
Opps I won that I won it for £5.77, it had Shinobi on the cover so was a must boy, if I had know it was you I would have not bid:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:15 am

Do you know while I was bidding, I looked at the cover and thought hmm its a ninja, then I thought I wonder if thats who might be bidding against me and had a horid thought hold on thats shinobi, my instincts were right! :lol: You must have put a high bid on it, I nearly put down £10, good thing I didn't! I thought you already had that issue or maybe it was an earlier one I am after with Shinobi on the front.
If you ever get bored of it then do let me know :wink:
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:21 am

Lol.. £5.77 was my max bid any more and you would have outbid me:)

I do have issue 93 with the Shinobi cover, Shinobi jumping of a building.. I'm suprised I won it as it normally sells for over £10, but I will let you have first refusual of it:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:43 am

bah, put in £5.27 :lol:

Yes that other issues is the one I am after. You hold 2 of the final 13!! Going to have to see what treasures I might have to tempt you!! :D

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:20 am

for all fans of C& VG: the eras of C&VG - which was best?

For me, the mid 80s

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:21 am

The mid-late 90's, when they had that Freeplay bit in the middle - definitely them.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:36 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:for all fans of C& VG: the eras of C&VG - which was best?

For me, the mid 80s
It has to be the early to mid 80s for me as that was the only time that I bought the magazine along with Crash & YS.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:for all fans of C& VG: the eras of C&VG - which was best?

For me, the mid 80s
For me it was the 1989 - 1994 period, I think after that there was then the console generation gap, when the PS1/Saturn hit the scene (and the 16bit scened died down) and maybe the public started opting for dedicated mags rather than C&VG, which is proably why the 1995 year are seemingly so hard to find.

I think the Jaz Rignall era of the mag ruled.

RPKGV

Post by RPKGV » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:55 am

Yeah, I collect Atari Users which were aimed at the Atari 8-Bits. I bought a few from the shops back in the day, and now I'm trying to build up the whole collection of them by buying them on ebay.
My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more, http://www.youtube.com/user/RPKGameVids

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:58 am

I think its a shame no magazine group puts these great mags back out onto a dvd collection.I know the royalty fees along with sale figures would stop the release i guess.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 am

I'd love to see collections of these old magazines produced in the manner of the Retro Gamer & Gamestm bookazines. Won't ever happen, but I like to dream. :P