anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:10 pm

seen some insane bidding on ebay today - issues of games computing etc going for over £20 an issue! I collect - but not to that extent.

For some reason (probably nostalgia) I really enjoy collecting issues from the late 7os to mid 90s (magazines took a bit of a quality dip after that in my opinion until early 2000s). Newsfield titles are as you'd expect high on my list (not that I own any), but it's really the early multiformats like PCG, Big K and C&VG that float my boat.

I also used to get the weekly magazines they had around 83/84 - the newsagent I used to do a paper round for alway sold me his unsold copies cheap - so I ended up with lots of those - all sadly gone now expect for a few repurchased from ebay.
Last edited by Timothy Lumsden on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paranoid marvin

Re: anyone else collect old videogame magazines?

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:15 pm

Just RG , and the odd copy of ACE, Crash and Zero to remind me of the good old days :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Ive still got about a dozen from when I was younger. Wish id saved more of them to be honest.

Bought 7 issues of Gameboy Action from Ebay for £5.00 which I was pleased with.

A mate of mine earlier this year threw away over 100 video game magazines which hed kept in his loft since we were young. Mean Machines, CVG, Gamesmaster etc. I was livid!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

i would pick up some issues of amiga format due to some issues not being available on amiga magazine rack.
Last edited by Fred83 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:41 pm

STranger81 wrote:Ive still got about a dozen from when I was younger. Wish id saved more of them to be honest.

Bought 7 issues of Gameboy Action from Ebay for £5.00 which I was pleased with.

A mate of mine earlier this year threw away over 100 video game magazines which hed kept in his loft since we were young. Mean Machines, CVG, Gamesmaster etc. I was livid!
judging by what I've seen on Ebay today, your mate was throwing away a lot of cash too. I can't actually remember where all my original mags went - suspect they were chucked by my mum when I went to uni. :(

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:02 pm

A few years back I made it my goal to collect all the Your Spectrum magazines (there's only 21 so it wasn't a difficult task). Superb magazine, that I remember reading a mates copy of in the 80's. I didn't like Your Sinclair as much so I haven't collected those.

Crash was my childhood magazine, but I think it's better left there, as the few issues I have re-bought have been slight let downs. Not the magazines fault, mine entirely, they were such a special part of my childhood, they cannot possibly live up to it when read by my boring 40 year old mind.

Currently buying up old 1980's Personal Computer World's on eBay. Not much video game stuff in them, but they are brilliantly written - particularly the late great Guy Kewney's stuff. And some of the 8 bit computers of the early eighties were marvels to behold.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I do collect, but as the bills keep coming in, parts of the collection get chipped off and sold away. C&VG is my main collection, need around 15 issues now to complete the full set, also have full Super Play, about 70 issues of Nintendo, Full Mean Machines, Maxium and Games Zone sets, and nearly all the Totals (and RG ofcourse). When I had my big Sega Sell off around 3 years back, the mags sold for crazy money. I think most I paid was £9 once for an issue of Super Play, typically I then won a job lot of the full set a few weeks later, which were better condition than the set I had. Prices can be funny somedays they will go mad, the next week will go for 99p.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I do-got a cupboard full of various ones.Plus full collections of: Maximum, Edge,RG, DC uk, Off.DC mag, 2 binders of both zzap64 and the games machine.Misc: Atari User, Zero`s, ACE`s, Mean machines etc. Each time i move house, i have a purge-Recycling centre had a horde each time: M.A.G, C+VG`s, Xbox gamer were among last lot.My C.U`s? i did a wonderous trade with the ever so generous Shinobi.

Roo

Post by Roo » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 pm

I've only ever had the opportunity to collect the good-in-hindsight Official PlayStation Magazine - those seem to crop up from time to time in my local charity shops, sometimes even with the demos.

The only other mags I'd collect are the ones from the NGamer lineage, and possibly EDGE.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:38 pm

I have nearly complete run Super Play and a fair few double issue's.. 3 foot of C+VG's from 1982 Medusa Cover till the issue with Jill Valentine 1996 on the cover with the 6ft DOA Tina Poster, complete 7 issue's of Maximum, load of Commodore User(my favourite mag which Vulture gave, never expected to get these again), Sega Force, Super Control Mean Machines, did have a complete Zzap 64 but gave most of them to Vulture, was never keen on Zzap.. Did have a complete Retro Gamer but sold them now only have from the Outrun issue onwards..

Lots of lose single Mags Sega Force, Super Control, Commodore Format, Game Pro, Games World, Commodore Force, Mean Machines Sega, Bad Influence, a few very old Zzaps uncluding the last Ninja Cover issue 28
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DemonEyeX

Post by DemonEyeX » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:41 pm

I don't think that I have ever thrown a magazine away in my life, I only owned a spectrum until the late 80s & my speccy mag of choice was Your Sinclair but I would usually buy Sinclair User & Crash if I could afford to, although C&VG was always my favourite magazine overall.
One friend always bought Crash & his dad bought Sinclair User from the early days, another friend bought Amstrad Action & long gone multi-format mags like Ace & The Games Machine, when they both went 16 bit in the early 90s they gave me their mags.
I kept buying C&VG & Mean Machines along with the occasional issue of whatever else was about at the time up until the mid 90s, always picking up old issues of classic mags from car boots & stuff, my dad sometimes found cool stuff while he was doing house clearances.
Consequently in 2010 I have a huge stash of magazines living in various boxes & crates at my parents house, just last weekend I paid them a visit & returned with a box full of issues of Your Sinclair that are currently scattered over various parts of my house.
Hopefully I will soon have a house large enough to accommodate the whole collection, but for now the Your Sinclairs have to packed away.
But the complete (yes, COMPLETE) Retro Gamer Collection collection stays right here.
Last edited by DemonEyeX on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mum,Dad - Can I Have Another 10p Pleeeaaaase.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Also got a few issues of The One in both ST/Amiga format and when it split into 2. Few issues of Gamezone, C+VG`s GO (Handheld magazine)-Find them brilliant to look back through-All the HYPE of new hardware, format wars, Industry pundits making predictions (Peter molyn. reckoned the GameBoy would be a massive flop! LOL) all, how times fail to change.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:52 pm

I did forget to put RG in my original list - but I suppose they're not that old, except the Live ones - but I've got a complete run except either no 1 or no 2 - cant remember which as they're in plastic crates in the loft until I get proper shelves.

The older magazines do open up the world of early gaming for me - make me remember past hypes and failures - and I like the happy amateur ethos a lot of them had, but which faded as the 80s wore on. It's also nice to find a magazine you never ever heard of back in the day, or to be reminded of a long forgotten titles - which happened when I got a few issues of 'Your computer' at a carboot (terrible condition though...)

I do envy the sensible people who kept theirs (or at least kept my mum away from theirs)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:55 pm

Don't collect them but did manage to find a nice pile int he wardrobe I never knew I had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPjGCVISzhc
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Don't collect them but did manage to find a nice pile int he wardrobe I never knew I had:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPjGCVISzhc
cool stuff - always great to find stuff you forgot you had. Never seen this mag before at all.