'The Apprentice' and 'Junior Apprentice' stories

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Edward Eoifsch

'The Apprentice' and 'Junior Apprentice' stories

Post by Edward Eoifsch » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello fellow Retro Games fans.

As we all know 'The Apprentice' Season 6 is nearly upon us.

While I don't consider myself a fan of Lord/Sir Alan Sugar, I have loads of respect for him and Amstrad. After all they contributed to the retro computer industry and capitalized on their fortunes since.

Here's hopes Season 6 has some skillful applicants.

Also the BBC has recently shown 'Junior Apprentice', the debut season. While it's format is the same as it's adult counterpart, the candidates in 'Junior Apprentice' are teenagers that are about to finish high school or have just started college and came on to prepare themselves for business stuff.

While we wait for 'The Apprentice' Season 6, here is what I think so far.

'The Apprentice' Season 1, the debut of the series, is good.

Season 2 is the season I first watched in detail and it is great. It had several talented and skillful candidates, namely Ansell Henry, Paul Tulip and Ruth Badger, although Paul really should have checked his CV looked professional. Ruth has done successful TV appearances since and built up a considerable fortune.

I have to say Season 3 had less capable candidates, but is still memorable, particularly Tre Azam with his humour and phrases. Tre and his fans found one of the interviewers unnecessarily rude to him in the interviews task. The champion Simon Ambrose is creative and talented, plus he really shone when he revealed he did research about Sir Alan Sugar and Amstrad. Simon also had an Amstrad CPC, he is probably a casual gamer. Kristina the runner up is similar to Season 2's Ruth, but less talented, still Kristina has what it takes to succeed and she is still successful to this day. Katie was the most ruthless female candidate in Season 3 and her decision to leave the show was unexpected. Katie undoubtedly has the strength and skills necessary in business, but needs to adjust her personality, so hopefully Sir Sugar's advice has been taken aboard. Tre has a channel called TreAzam with the site YouTube and his own Internet site. Ifti, Lohit, Sophie, Natalie and Naomi also had their own sites.

Here are some memorable phrases by Sir Sugar as heard in Season 3's trade sales and live television tasks.

"It's a total disaster."

"You've lost the plot."

"What a pillock!"

"Look where you've got the bladdy thing resting on!"

"What I saw was the biggest load of toot that I have ever seen."

"That poor sod standing there embarrassed."

I saw Season 4 on the Internet and it is memorable, but the candidates were a motley crew. Michael Sophocles didn't show much skills, but his soccer fan shriek was funny. Both Jennifer Maguire and particularly Jennifer Celerier share similarities to Season 3's Katie, but at least Katie has business talent and as team leader would totally trounce both Jennifers if they were in the same season, so it's hard to believe that Season 3's Kristina is prepared to work with Jen Celerier. All in all in terms of the candidates only Raef Bjayou, Simon Smith, Lee McQueen, Lucinda Ledgerwood, Sara Dhada and perhaps Claire Young are remotely of any skill. Raef is honest and skillful and was probably the most dignified in Season 4 and has the most integrity, so he is all set to achieve success. Simon is honest, nice and talented, so he also deserves riches. Sara did well, particularly as team leader in the themed pub task and is also talented and affable, if somewhat naive and did nothing to deserve the treatment towards her at the house after the cards task. There was more to that incident than what was shown, since the candidates could still be heard just before the narrator's finish announcement, Raef said more than what was shown in his defensive speech for Sara and apparently to a lesser degree Lucinda and Claire spoke for Sara's defence. Lee was unnecessarily confrontational in that incident, but he has redeemed himself since and is on the road to success.

I plan to see Season 5 on the Internet.

I also found 'Junior Apprentice' interesting.

Since 'The Apprentice' Season 6 starts soon, this is the topic to discuss it and I shall also look up related stories on the Internet.

From Edward Eoifsch.
Last edited by Edward Eoifsch on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: 'The Apprentice' and 'Junior Apprentice' stories

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:11 pm

So...
What's going on here, Mr. Eoifsch? Market research? You're on the Apprentice and you want to do something that involves cafes with tellies in them that play Breakout? Odd things.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:26 am

Off topic wouldnt be the same without an Apprentice thread From Edward Eoifsch !

The junior one wasnt bad, most of the kids were annoying though. Just wanted to say to them 'go down the pub and be the same as all your other friends instead of trying to start a 'business' selling eggs'. Still at least theyre not happy-slapping etc so perhaps its not that bad.

Takes some getting used to hearing lord sugar instead of sir alan.

The new series should be good, its getting a 'bit' like Big Brother as they seem to have the odd mental on there nowadays to spice it up a bit.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:24 am

I really like The Apprentice. Mostly because I enjoy watching people who think theyre the next Rupert Murdoch crash and burn in a sea of realisation. I remember that fit one (I reckon anyway) Claire Young was "apparantly" on 150 grand a year before going on the show. 150 grand?!

The junior one was enjoyable. Except that young girl with the short blonde hair and bright red lipstick who would clearly sell her own grandmother in order to one up someone.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:18 am

psj3809 wrote:Off topic wouldnt be the same without an Apprentice thread From Edward Eoifsch !
:lol: :lol:

Yes, I've been waiting for Edward to start an Apprentice topic....almost (but not quite) a shame that EAK isn't here this year to join in....

Didn't think 'Junior Apprentice' was a great series to be honest. They tried to make that poor girl Zoe look like some kind of wicked witch 'pantomime' villain who was trying to step on the other contestants to get to the top, but she didn't really seem that bad a person, she was just really good at selling stuff and was trying to do well in the tasks. To me, the best 2 (consistently) throughout the series were Arjun and Kirsty, and I thought it was only right that they ended up in the final, and I'm glad Arjun won it as he was the better of the two.

Best line from Lord Sugar for me was after that challenge where they had to sell cupcakes, and he said to the losing team 'Just like your cakes, you failed to rise to the occasion' :lol: :lol: :lol: and Nick constantly referring to that dozy sheep shearer as 'Lazy Tim' was quite amusing as well, but they were a lot more restrained, given that they were dealing with younger people that usual.

The next 'proper' series should see a return to form, looking forward to it.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Edward Eoifsch

Post by Edward Eoifsch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:08 am

Here is some news.

I had a look somewhere and 'The Apprentice' Season 6 is scheduled to start this week.

Hopefully the applicants this season have proper skills.

From Edward Eoifsch.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:48 am

Its always a good giggle to see these high flyers crashing and burning....

It makes me realise that arse lickers and bullshit merchants are the people who get up the career ladder and people with sense and who work hard stay at the bottom.

just like me.

at the bottom

all the prats can rise to the top because come the revolution - they will be first up against the wall :evil: :evil:

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:32 am

Good old Edward, bang on cue!

Ive read about the contestans and they seem the usual throng of backstabbers who despite claiming to be the best business minds in Britain will instantly turn into squabling kids first chance they get.

These people are more deluded/entertaining than Big Brother contestants!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:13 am

Edward Eoifsch wrote:Here is some news.

I had a look somewhere and 'The Apprentice' Season 6 is scheduled to start this week.

Hopefully the applicants this season have proper skills.

From Edward Eoifsch.
It was originally due to be shown in the spring, but due to Lord Sugar's Government position it was considered as possible bias with the election, and so had to be postponed.

And now we get the story of one of the contestants being arrested for fraud (and previously having a conviction for carrying a knuckleduster).

To be honest, that and the horrible music on the trailer has put me off watching the new series...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:56 am

The best Apprentice moment ever still makes me laugh now, SirLordAlan's reaction is classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppWmAE5GKU

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:11 pm

TheBoingoBandit wrote:The best Apprentice moment ever still makes me laugh now, SirLordAlan's reaction is classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppWmAE5GKU
:lol: I forgot all about that !

I'm glad The Apprentice is back on again. Will be watching that myself tomorrow.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Can't wait until tomorrow. I love the apprentice. Im always sure i could do better than them.

Its easy from the couch ain't it... :wink:

RIK

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:19 pm

I'll give it a watch, fu(k all else on.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm not sure if I'll tune in tomorrow or not. I'd always watch every episode of the last couple of series with an EX-best friend round at her place (with whom I've since had a nasty falling-out last year and haven't spoken since) - it had been 'our' programme so I'll likely just get upset if I watch tomorrow. Did used to love it though - absolute standout moment for me was Margaret Mountford's reaction to that tw*t Michael's "YES! COME ON!" celebratory cry - priceless. It's always fantastic watching people with such high opinions of themselves end up humiliating and showing themselves up for the useless f*ckwits they really are on national TV.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxi6QDwQyLU

A great show, if only because it created this mixup.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.