Retro Heart Scale Arcade Models XMAS OFFER !

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Retro_Heart

Retro Heart Scale Arcade Models XMAS OFFER !

Post by Retro_Heart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi All

I realise another forum member is making these models, but i didn't know that until i signed up here.

I recently "retired" from a 10 year long very stresfull career, and i have been on doctors orders taking some peaceful time to relax and try my hand at a few things that might bring me amusement and enjoyment.

One of these was finally buying a PC Engine, and playing it to death, after having always wanted one LOL , but the main thing i have been doing is making scale models of arcade games

I actually am selling these models, so my costs are covered, and i make a little bit, but the main benefit to me is that i find making them to be very theraputic.

Just after some feedback from you guys as to your opinions ... I have tried to make my models different from the other ones being made by adding a proper simulated screen, where i mount a little perspex screen 3mm in front of the actual screen, but behind the bezel, so as you look at the model, it looks like a real screen. Also, i just figured out how to add tiny scale joysticks to the models too.

These photos are of WIP's and none of these models are 100% finished. I can be a bit of a perfectionist so i will probably never be 100% happy with them, but i was just after some feedback from you good peeps please -

Any feedback or critique would be massively appreciated, and please bare in mind that as i said, these are WIP's.

Thanks so much

Retro-Heart xx
Last edited by Retro_Heart on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

Rayne

Re: Custom Scale Arcade Models

Post by Rayne » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Those are fantastic! I absolutely love the Turtles one :)

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:50 pm

Thanks so much! :D

It took me ages LOL ... the Turtles one has improved since that photo was taken too, it now has tiny joysticks added

I have made about 20 different ones so far, but im getting carried away now - i want to make all stuff from old arcades in miniature ... pinball tables, penny pushers, fruit machines, crane grabber games LOL

Im gonna focus purely on the arcade cabinets for now though .. like i said, i am hoping to be able to support this newfound hobby of mine by selling these models :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:57 pm

They look fab-u-lous!

How much you selling them for btw mate?

Would love to see an original sit-down Star Wars cab - would be very interested in buying one too!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:58 pm

First, some criticisms to address for a better final product.

Some of the artwork looks to be cut very roughly. Ideally you'd get a nice straight edge. Same goes for the application of it, so of it looks to be curling or isn't tight around corners.

Artwork edges need colouring. The Defender cab is the prime example of the problem, where the artwork has been printed black but the white edge of the paper its printed on becomes visible where its been cut. Either colour the edge, take it to the edge of the cab and 'T-mould' over it, or put the art on transparencies. Its a tricky one to work round really, but its the one aspect of the models I find offputting.

Other than that, nice work. I like that you've tried to add extra detail.

Any possibility of backlighting the screen so it glows, and combining that to do the marquee too?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Where do i sign up? LOL.Just going to echo others thoughts here, but they DO look fantastic.I`d love to see (as well as a sit down Starwars) Operation Wolf, Bubble Bobble, Aliens coin-ops done.

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:First, some criticisms to address for a better final product.

Some of the artwork looks to be cut very roughly. Ideally you'd get a nice straight edge. Same goes for the application of it, so of it looks to be curling or isn't tight around corners.

Artwork edges need colouring. The Defender cab is the prime example of the problem, where the artwork has been printed black but the white edge of the paper its printed on becomes visible where its been cut. Either colour the edge, take it to the edge of the cab and 'T-mould' over it, or put the art on transparencies. Its a tricky one to work round really, but its the one aspect of the models I find offputting.

Other than that, nice work. I like that you've tried to add extra detail.

Any possibility of backlighting the screen so it glows, and combining that to do the marquee too?
Hey, thanks so much for the critique, really appreciate it.

I use the most expensive vinyl adhesive glossy paper i could find for the art work .. i do colour the edges of it with black marker pen before applying the stickers, i think the Defender one just caught the light wrong in the photo. So I am in total agreement with you there.

Re cutting the art work out, i agree with you, i am working on my cutting skills LOL ... i would love to add mini t-molding, but i cant seem to find any material made that i can use .. do you have any ideas please ?

Also, i found through trail and error that the vinyl stickers i was using do seem to curl a little, so on the new models i have been working on this weekend i actually use glue to fix them in place in addition to the natural adhesive quality of the vinyl stickers.

The screens with seperate bezel, and translucent effect take me forever to contruct, but like i said, this is my therapy so i dont mind the time, as its mega rewaring when a model comes together.

Down the line i do have plans to make "deluxe" models, with a light inside that will light up the coin slots,marquee and screen :D

Thanks again for taking the time to discuss with me

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:13 pm

thevulture wrote:Where do i sign up? LOL.Just going to echo others thoughts here, but they DO look fantastic.I`d love to see (as well as a sit down Starwars) Operation Wolf, Bubble Bobble, Aliens coin-ops done.
I would love to make gun shooter models, i just need to find a supply of miniature guns for them lol

I also have ideas to make miniature models of sit down games, such as classic Outrun etc ..

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:19 pm

I really like these mini arcade machines they are really great and must take some patience to make.I would have no chance with my sausage fingers.I would really like a Star wars cockpit and found a pic of one here if that is any use to helping you with ideas http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgwhitlock ... 939805555/
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Retro_Heart

Post by Retro_Heart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Ha Ha .. i didnt think i could make these either. Honestly, i have no previous model making experience, and the stresfull job i just "retired" from couldnt be further from doing anything like this at all.

I just saw some models online and became totally fascinated with building them. Im a perfectionsit and a bit obessesive, so i bought all the best materials i could find, and when i started making them i was overjoyed to find that i thoroughly enjoyed the process.

I would love to tackle the Star Wars sit down, but i would need some kind of blueprints for the actual full size cabinet. I dont think i could make one just from the photo of the model. Actually maybe i could LOL ... i have a ton of machines on my "to make " list, and this is definately going to be one of them.

I also want to tackle machines that no one else has made models of, so i can be unique. :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Yes, like subzeros models - good work, beyond my levels of skill/patience!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Are fag burns on the control panel optional?

Hey , may not be that crazy a question , as more than 50% had them back in the day...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Great models. Regarding cutting the images neater you just need to invest in the following..

Proper rubber cutting mat;

Scalpel (try and get the proper surgical carbon steel blades)

..and a good Metal ruler, don't bother with the cork backed ones though, it rises the edge too far from the surface your trying to cut.

I did art at college and design at uni, have had to cut millions of things out for making scale models etc and portfolio work. Your never going to get a good enough edge with scissors

Just be extra extra careful of the scalpel blades, I've had more than one nasty accident :oops:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Just had to post this picture

Perhaps he could make one of them generic Jamma cabs and have a little slot to put difference pictures in.

Or if hes being adventurous a little light behind the screen and marque

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:57 pm

The Turtles one is awesome I'd buy that of you when you get round to selling them
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"